found some special sauce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Anderson

New User
Mark
shortly after seeing the pens turned out i noticed that a town crew had dropped a sycamore for safty reasons, sunday in the rain w/ everybody in church i managed to sneek off with some. the tree was badly rotted, the but log hollowed out to a 6'' wall of the 30'' dia. i manged to get several burls and an intresting croched limb with a spiral patern to the bark.

from the limb

bowl.jpg

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Beautiful bowl, Sycamore is starting to rank right up there with figured Maple as one of my favorite woods (but easier to turn). I lok forward to seeing what comes out of the burls you got :icon_thum

Dave:)

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
I haven't turned any spalted sycamore, but I like turning the wood.
It cuts well for my glue ups and the "grain" is almost mesmerizing in that it isn't really there but yet it is.(in the unspalted stuff I have turned.)
There are sections of it that are "translucent white". I save those pieces for special glue ups.
Oh yeah, nice bowl, but what do I know about turning bowls? I only turn pens.

Last edited:
J

jeff...

I haven't turned any spalted sycamore, but I like turning the wood.
It cuts well for my glue ups and the "grain" is almost mesmerizing in that it isn't really there but yet it is.(in the unspalted stuff I have turned.)
There are sections of it that are "translucent white". I save those pieces for special glue ups.
Oh yeah, nice bowl, but what do I know about turning bowls? I only turn pens.

Eagle - I don't turn wood at all, but I do agree with you, sycamore is one of the more pretty woods out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors