First Xmas presents from the dark side

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
Some friends gave me some pieces of Iron wood they had cut down and abandoned in the woods. I had no idea it would look this good until I cut into it! I made them this pestle and morter as a xmas gift in exchange. Some of it was just a little "furry" to sand perfectly, but a coat of CA soon sorted that out.

IMG_02271.JPG

IMG_0226.JPG

IMG_02251.JPG

Thanks for looking

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
David, those pieces are quite striking. Very beautiful form and wood. I recommend you enter that in the 2010 calendar contest. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

JohnW

New User
John
You're right, that does look good. Shape & form are spot on. I've never seen iron wood this figured before. Very nice.

Excellent photography by the way....

DavidF

New User
David
Thanks for the nice comments everybody, they mean a lot. The people who gave me the log said it was iron wood, but I am currently soaking a sliver to put under the microscope to confirm that so I'll let you know. It certainly is striking, in real life it is a beautiful creamy colour with the dark viens. If it is "iron wood" then the specific gravity is 0.7 which is a little harder than white Oak. It's also know as Hornbeam. This one is supposed to be Ostrya virginiana, but there is another one called Ostrya Carolinious (sp) DaveO might be able to confirm. These are "so called" iron woods, but not with SG over 1.0 -I shall try and confirm tonight with Mr. Hoadley

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
David,

Very pretty turning.

Do you have a picture of the wood with bark on?

I have a lot of Hornbeam on my place and it is usually very plain white wood. I think yours has spalted if it is the same wood.

DavidF

New User
David
I do think it is spalting as there are some signs of slight softening of the wood in places. It was cut down about 3 or 4 months ago I believe. Mike, I'll take some pics of the logs tonight.

DavidF

New User
David
Thanks Guys. Carol has me up for a Xmas tree ornament next! that should be interesting - first go at a true hollow:dontknow:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If it is "iron wood" then the specific gravity is 0.7 which is a little harder than white Oak. It's also know as Hornbeam. This one is supposed to be Ostrya virginiana, but there is another one called Ostrya Carolinious (sp) DaveO might be able to confirm.

David you are correct "Ironwood" is most correctly in the Hornbeam genus. But there are many other trees species called ironwood. That is the problem with common names. Latin is specific, common names are all over the board :roll::roll:
Without a picture of the leaves, buds or bark I couldn't identify the tree for you.
Really nice mortar and pestle (as we call it in this country, y'all Brits are so backwards :gar-La;:gar-La;) The spalting really adds to it's appeal :icon_thum

Dave:)

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS