First HARDwood bowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
After some practice with pine, I wanted to try some hardwood. As luck would have it, the only scraps in the shop were brazillian cherry and ash. I just looked at a few wood hardness charts and brazillian cherry is up there in the top hardest woods in the world. No wonder I was sweating in a 40 degree shop when I finished turning it. :swoon:

As many drill bits as I've broken working with that wood, it was no surprise that it was so hard to turn. My turning tool collection is nothing spectacular and the main problem I ran into was that when I tried to turn the outside of the bowl right next to the faceplate, nothing I had would do it. :no: I tried and tried and tried and after reshaping one tool against the faceplate I decided I'd just leave the bottom 3/8" and cut it off when I was done. Later, when the bowl was complete, I decided to cut that 3/8" off on the BS and the bowl just shot across the room. :eek: :slap: :slap: :slap: I like to think that I have a pretty good grip, but that wasn't happening. :BangHead: So I ended up taking the bottom off with a chisel. :roll: The bowl looks pretty good accept for the bottom. If anyone has any tips on how to do this in a safer and more effective way, please let me know. Here are a few pics.

That's a new record for clamps/surface area in my shop.
trentpics_100.jpg

Sort've got the grain wrong on the bottom, but that is the blank.
trentpics_101.jpg

This is what I ended up with.
trentpics_102.jpg

This bowl took 4 long hours to turn and it took everything I had. This one is for skeeter. Thanks for looking and for advice. :icon_thum

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Looks like it turned out pretty darn good. That's one heck of a clamp-up!

Are you using a bowl gouge to turn it?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Looks like it turned out pretty darn good. That's one heck of a clamp-up!

Are you using a bowl gouge to turn it?

I used what I think is a 5/8" bowl gouge (Harbor Freight) for the most part on the outside. I used a few of the straight edge tools (not sure what they're called) to smooth the entire outside surface and to try and shape the part right against the faceplate.

I used a good 3/8" bowl gouge from Klingspor on the inside and it worked pretty well.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
There isn't a bowl gouge that comes out of HF. Most likely you were using a roughing gouge which really isn't the best tool for a face grain oriented turning. I have used one before I knew better and survived, but it's really not a safe tool with the wood in that orientation. Your bowl gouge will do 90% of what you need.
For removing a waste block or tenon from the bottom of a bowl, your safest bet is a parting tool. You can cut all the way through and catch the bowl as it comes loose. Or just part down to a small nub and then use a handsaw to finish it off. Clean up with a chisel or sandpaper depending on how well it went. Trying to run something round through a bandsaw without a V-block to support it is asking for an undergarment change :eek:

Making mistakes is the bet way to learn. I think that is a fine looking bowl, much nicer than my first attempts.
Dave:)

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Hey Trent, sorry you had such a hard time (no pun intended). The bowl turned out pretty darn good :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum.

If I understand your dilemma correctly, you were trying to turn the foot of the bowl off of the end you had attached to the face plate. That is a tough proposition no matter how you look at it. If you don't have a scroll chuck, you may want to add a glue block on the end of your blank. Basically, glue another layer on your glue up. This last layer will be wasted so it can be scrap wood. This will allow you to cut the most of the foot without getting too close to the face plate. When you're ready to finish the foot, turn the bowl around and use a jam chuck to hold the bowl. Then, turn the foot. Sound easy... well here's an article that should help.

http://bobhamswwing.com/Articles/No Chuck Bowl/No Chuck Bowl.htm

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
When I turn with a faceplate I attach a waste block to the bowl bottom with brown paper [grocery sack] between the wood. when done I use a putty knife or chisel to separate the blank from the waste block then sand the bottom.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Trent, that is a good looking bowl = I know what you mean about that BC being hard - I cut some 3/4 om my scroll saw to make a scroll saw box and it took me forever to cut it and sand it :swoon: but the work was worth it =

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Very nice work, I like the contrast!
What glue did you use for the lamination?
I use Titebond III with good results.
Is the Brazilian Cherry you're using Jatoba?
Those tropical hardwoods have so many names, I have a hard time keeping up with them. :swoon:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Thanks so much for the advice. I'm definitely going to try this waste block thing from here on out. :thumbs_up:thumbs_up

What glue did you use for the lamination?
I use Titebond III with good results.
Is the Brazilian Cherry you're using Jatoba?
Those tropical hardwoods have so many names, I have a hard time keeping up with them.

Mike,

I used either tightbond 2 or 3, can't remember which one. It's the "blue" labeled bottle. The glue up was perfect. Yes, it is jatoba. I just feel weird calling it that. :rotflm: In part because I've never really known how to pronounce it. :roll: :slap: :gar-La;

Trent

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
Looks nice Trent..

remember.. problems and mistakes are expertise and experience in disguise.. :)

skeeter

New User
Charles
Hey everyone, I thought Trent was playing in the snow, oops, I mean working, but he came by today and presented me with the bowl pictured above as a pre-surgery gift to lift up my spirits. It worked. Thanks Trent, and a really nice looking bowl it is.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Hey everyone, I thought Trent was playing in the snow, oops, I mean working, but he came by today and presented me with the bowl pictured above as a pre-surgery gift to lift up my spirits. It worked. Thanks Trent, and a really nice looking bowl it is.

Charles,

I'm glad the bowl helped lift your spirits. It was great hanging out today and meeting your beautiful wife (and the monkey). :rotflm: I'm sorry I had to leave, but duty definitely called. It was a long afternoon. I really hope your surgery goes well. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers and try to update us when you can. And again, if there is ANYTHING I can do, please let me know.

And to everyone else, skeeter hooked a brother up with some cool stuff to help me learn how to turn better. :eusa_danc I'm borrowing a chuck, a couple of dvds, a book and two turning blanks. :icon_cheers And last but not least, a copy of the ncwoodworker calendar! :eusa_danc :icon_thum Thanks SO much Charles for your generosity. Hopefully all of this stuff will work and the next bowl I give you won't lean. :rotflm:

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

PChristy

New User
Phillip
And to everyone else, skeeter hooked a brother up with some cool stuff to help me learn how to turn better. :eusa_danc I'm borrowing a chuck, a couple of dvds, a book and two turning blanks. :icon_cheers And last but not least, a copy of the ncwoodworker calendar! :eusa_danc

Trent

Now that is what I like about this site - others helping others :eusa_clap:icon_thum

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
outstanding -
the bowl and the gesture.
every piece is practice until you're happy with it
just keep practicing and don't forget to enjoy what you're doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS