Finishing Pens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
What do you use to finish your pens? So far, I've only used the CA glue which gives a nice glossy finish, however it a bit of a PITA with spirals (applied on the lathe).

I'd like to find a glossy finish that can be applied on the lathe and able to be handled immediately without fear of damaging the finish.

Mylands was recommended, but sounds like you have to wait a day or so. Another was Shellawax -- has anyone used this?

Looking for advice ... or maybe a "trick" to make applying CA easier! 8-O

skeeter

New User
Charles
Jeremy, I have never turned a pen, although I think the bug is trying to bite. However, in current thread titled "Pays to listen" members are talking about using an aerosol excelerent to speed up the CA drying process. Wish I knew more about it!

nelsone

New User
Ed
The Mylands looks great, but does not last. It is only a shellac and wax finish. CA is probably the mostly used, but I agree, it can be a pita! Lacquer should be a good finish. I don't use it (yet), but Eagle swears by it!

When do you guys want to get another turn&learn meeting together? Maybe we can incorp. some other topics too!

MikeH

New User
Mike
What do you use to finish your pens? So far, I've only used the CA glue which gives a nice glossy finish, however it a bit of a PITA with spirals (applied on the lathe).

I'd like to find a glossy finish that can be applied on the lathe and able to be handled immediately without fear of damaging the finish.

Mylands was recommended, but sounds like you have to wait a day or so. Another was Shellawax -- has anyone used this?

Looking for advice ... or maybe a "trick" to make applying CA easier! 8-O

The best way to avoid spirals is to apply the CA while the lathe is off and apply in light layers. The only finish I'll handle right away is CA. All others I let sit for at least several hours before I touch them.

HTH,

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
I have found that putting the lathe on its slowest setting, and applying the CA with a good paper towel pretty much solves the "spiraling" problem for me. Make sure you let the CA kind of soak into the paper towel and apply. Do not leave large gobs of CA or else you will end up with spirals....be generous with it though...let it soak up in the portion of the paper towel you are using to apply it with.

clowman

Clay Lowman
I use the finger from a rubber glove, turn the lathe to the slowest setting, and put it on one drop at a time, smoothing it out. Little by little. I usually go for about 3-4 coats, depending on my mood. It took a lot of trial and error. I mean ALOT, but I rarely get those spirals anymore.

Wildwood

New User
Wildwood
Have used Deft, Semi Gloss, without sanding sealer. Want to try using Deft sanding sealer and Deft High Gloss next.

Gave up on crystal coat and Hut wax sticks finish.

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
The Mylands looks great, but does not last. It is only a shellac and wax finish. CA is probably the mostly used, but I agree, it can be a pita! Lacquer should be a good finish. I don't use it (yet), but Eagle swears by it!

When do you guys want to get another turn&learn meeting together? Maybe we can incorp. some other topics too!

A little clarification here.
Mylands makes quite a few products.
One method I have used is called a Mylands three step finish.
3 coats of their sanding sealer, three coats of their high build finish and three coats of carnauba wax.
The sanding sealer is a nitrocellulose lacquer, the high build is a shelac based product and carnauba is the hardest wax known to man I believe.
These are all applied as "friction" finishes and there is a little learning curve.
The finish is extremely durable.
I personally don't care for the down and dirty look and feel of a quick CA finish though I do have some blanks that are intricate that I prefer that finish for. cA encapsulating the pen also "binds" the pieces together for strength. I am still not comfortable with my technique for applying a CA finish.
You cannot beat a multiple coat hand rubbed lacquer finish for appearance to bring out the deepest soul of a wood pen.
Multiple coats rubbed out allows the light to reflect and refract through the finish and show the wood at its' best.
The easiest most forgiving finish I have found is Unaxol, a water based lacquer.
I can put a half a dozen coats on in a day.
It is more forgiving than CA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS