Finished Pig in a Blanket

Status
Not open for further replies.

stave

New User
stave
Finished it up today.
The frame is maple and the finishing of the work sounds like a lot but was pretty simple. I sprayed the entire piece with a sharp mix of shellac, two coats. Not much build but sealed it well. A honey maple stain and tone lacquer was sprayed on the frame to age it and to separate the frame from the panel color wise. A neutral Liberon wax was applied to the entire panel and buffed. I then made a custom colored wax using neutral and walnut colored wax. This was applied to the entire panel as well. Using steel wool, I buffed the pig clear of wax and then hit the high spots on the blanket. This created more depth and contrast, it also cut all light reflection off of the pig. The entire thing was then buffed to varying degrees. All this was subtle but made a difference in the look. Sorry my photographic skills didn't pick much of that up.
It was a lot of fun and did not break the bank time wise. Hope you enjoy...all comments welcome.

Mark
www.stromcarver.com

b4man

New User
Barbara
makes me want to pet him:wsmile:

Such great work. Thank you for bringing us along with this project!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Mark, do you exhibit your work in a gallery anywhere? I can see this series becoming a big hit. :eusa_clap

Bill

stave

New User
stave
Thanks folks! I plan on bringing this carving and a couple more to the carvings classes. These help me illustrate some points about shadow and light.

I am reluctantly starting to deal with galleries again after a hiatus of years. Galleries are now taking 40% to 50% of the price with some demanding as much as 60%. Lets just say that I don't hold a fondness in my heart for galleries.

After viewing the pig for awhile I will be making some very small refinements to it. Going to cut a few areas deeper, change some texture and do some more colored waxing. I am really working on simple subjects, straight forward finishes and a refined presentation. One of the benefits (and drawbacks) of the recession has been that commission work has slowed down. I am now able to work on my own ideas and carry the carving as far as I want. Can't do things like that when budgets and client design preference are involved. It's time to have some fun, explore some ideas and really do something different!

Mark

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Since my wife's grandmother's surname was Pigg, I may have to take up carving to make one of those. Of course, it may take me 5-10 years to build the skills to a level capable of that quality. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS