Electrical Supply in Charlotte?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
I'm running electricity to my workshed... I need #1 Aluminum in either THWN, XHHW, or USE cable... but I can't find anyone that has it, not even electrical supply... I've even called some places online but no one wants to deal with 200 feet of wire, I guess most of the online places are distributors. Some of the local places I called said they carry it sometimes but are just out (but they dont know when more is coming)... anyone got any suggestions?

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
EDI, Bryant Supply, or maybe Charlotte Wire And Cable (actually in Concord). Not sure if you can buy direct from Charlotte Wire And Cable, but it's worth a try.

Charley

One more - Graybar on Wilkinson Blvd.

Warren46

New User
Warren
Kevin,

When I ran electric to my shop I used aluminum in conduit and got both from Lowes. They stock several sizes. You might try there.

Warren

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
When I built my shop this fall I bought most of my electrical supplies for City Electric Supply in Roanoke Rapids. They have a branch in Charlotte. They beat Lowes prices on every item I needed. Remember the size of the feed wire is really based on the amp service you are using.

For my shop I have 100 AMP service. Once you know the amps you can just ask for XXX amp underground service wire. Sold by the foot and consists of two hots and a ground. Mine is aluminum.

Rhythm House Drums

New User
Kevin
City Electric supply in CLT sold me the wrong stuff.. 65 feet of of #1 SER. They said it would be fine undergound as long as it was in conduit... well.. nope. Found out from the inspector that SER can never be underground... City Electric wont refund the cable even though they admit they recommended it to me... Now I get to pull up all my PVC and yank 120 bucks out of the ground and put in some different wire.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
City Electric supply in CLT sold me the wrong stuff.. 65 feet of of #1 SER. They said it would be fine undergound as long as it was in conduit... well.. nope. Found out from the inspector that SER can never be underground... City Electric wont refund the cable even though they admit they recommended it to me... Now I get to pull up all my PVC and yank 120 bucks out of the ground and put in some different wire.
Did you happen to use a credit card to pay for the wire? If so, dispute the charges.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member

Sorry to hear that.... I would contact their Corp office.

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
They are just store clerks at the electrical supply houses. Would you take advice from a store clerk in Walmart? You need to do the research and know what you need either by learning the code or getting advice from an actual electrician before you buy. They should also know better than to give advice when they don't have adequate training. Sorry you bought the wrong wire.

Charley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS