DW735 Planer Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I have a DW735 that is just over a year old and have only run about 100 bdft through it - cherry, oak, poplar and a little walnut and maple since I got it.

Today, I was planing some 4/4 poplar (about 4 inches wide) and noticed that the board needed a little more of a nudge to get the rollers to feed. (Was only taking off about 1/32" per pass.) Before today, all I needed was to get the board close to the infeed roller and it would suck it right in.

I have never cleaned the rollers (other than a quick blow of compressed air). Do think that my issue is just dirty roller mechanism? If so, what would you recommend for cleaning them up? (Nothing in "manual" covering roller maintenance. (Oh ya. The knives seem to be ok for now.)

TIA for you help,

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wayne, you might try waxing the planer bed and infeed/outfeed tables. I did that to my Delta when it was feeling weak, and it made a world of difference.
Dave:)

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Hey Wayne,

I've had this happen on mine before. What I found was that the speed control was not all the way engaged. Basically, it was about 95% of the way over. The board would not feed properly, but the planer ran and sounded like everything was fine. Anyway, I just turned it on and reset the speed control from one side to the other until I knew it was fully engaged. Problem solved. Hope that's all it is for you. Good luck.

Bob

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks guys!

I will wax the bed's and try cleaning the rollers tomorrow (and check the speed control switch). It just seemed so intermittent?8-O8-O Once the rollers grabbed the piece of stock it fed it really nice a smooth. It was just the initial "grab" at the stock that was failing.

I will let you know how it is after this little "maintenance".

Thanks again!

Wayne

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I used a DeWalt 735 ror a few years and haed this happen a few times, always cured by waxing the tables. I never did have a problem with the feed rollers becoming contaminated but I did wipe hem off with a dry cloth once in a while just to make mystelf feel better.

DavidF

New User
David
I agree on the waxing of the tables too, it makes a big difference on mine. On the speed switch, they do say only to change while the planer is running so it could be that sometimes it isn't engaging correctly.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Glad to see a number of DW735 users. . . . I just got one this week. I have barely turned it on yet, but I did notice the dust collection seems to be in a fairly difficult spot. Unless you have a DC hose coming from the ceiling, seems the hose will be in the way of the boards exiting the planer. Anyone care to share how you ran your DC hose so that it is out of the way?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Glad to see a number of DW735 users. . . . I just got one this week. I have barely turned it on yet, but I did notice the dust collection seems to be in a fairly difficult spot. Unless you have a DC hose coming from the ceiling, seems the hose will be in the way of the boards exiting the planer. Anyone care to share how you ran your DC hose so that it is out of the way?

I agree with you Rick. What I generally do is set up my outfeed roller stand to the side of the outfeed table and just drape the hose over the top of the stand. It holds the DC hose up and out of the way of the outfeed of the planer.

Pretty archaic, but it works.

(I put a coat of Johnsons paste wax on the planer bed this afternoon. I'll see if this cures my feed issue.)

Wayne

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Rick,
I use mine near the garage door. I hang a wire coat hanger in one of the openings in the door side rail and run a 4" flex hose through it. It's up high enough to allow the board to clear.

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
BAD NEWS:

The 735 had a defect with the gears that drive the rollers. A number of them were made from non-heat treated steel and will break over time. Per Dewalt, production has been changed to gears made of proper steel, but that does not account for any stock that was already shipped.

A quick way to confirm if yours are broken is to open the black drive cover on the side of the planer and see if you have bits and pieces everywhere.

GOOD NEWS:

Dewalt is aware of the problem, it is covered under warranty, and there are lots of service centers around. It took them all of a week to fix mine.

The other good thing is that this is not a Delta so you do not have to deal with thier incredibly lame 'ServiceNet'.

Hope this helps

David

Shayne

New User
Shayne
I bought the dust collection bag accessory for the DW735 and a 30somthing gallon rubber maid trash can. I also bought a piece of 5' PVC (3/4" diameter I think) and drilled a hole through one end of the pipe. I then tied a piece of string around the dust collection hose and then through the holes drilled in the PVC. I then stand the pipe up and place it in the handle on the trash can to keep it vertical and stationary. This keeps the dust collection host suspended above the out feed table as to not interfere. Next time I use my planer I will try to remember to take a picture to maybe better explain my setup.

As for the defect, has Dewalt published a list of model numbers?

Shayne

jglord

New User
John
If you do find problems with the drive gears - check with the Dewalt factory owned service center on Capital Blvd. They are located about 1.5 miles north of the belt line on the right. If you get to the hugh U-Haul place, you just passed it.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
If you do find problems with the drive gears - check with the Dewalt factory owned service center on Capital Blvd. They are located about 1.5 miles north of the belt line on the right. If you get to the hugh U-Haul place, you just passed it.

Thanks John!!!

I hope that I won't have to make that fateful trip......

(I didn't hear anything unusual like the clanking of broken gear parts....so here's hoping'!)

Thanks Again!

Wayne

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
BAD NEWS:

The 735 had a defect with the gears that drive the rollers. A number of them were made from non-heat treated steel and will break over time. Per Dewalt, production has been changed to gears made of proper steel, but that does not account for any stock that was already shipped.

A quick way to confirm if yours are broken is to open the black drive cover on the side of the planer and see if you have bits and pieces everywhere.

GOOD NEWS:

Dewalt is aware of the problem, it is covered under warranty, and there are lots of service centers around. It took them all of a week to fix mine.

The other good thing is that this is not a Delta so you do not have to deal with thier incredibly lame 'ServiceNet'.

Hope this helps

David

I read an article this A.M. highlighting what you have described. Evidently it applies to all DW735's with a Serial No. of 200440 and below. (not mine:icon_thum)

I took off the side panel as you described and everything looks brand spankin' new......not even dusty!:eusa_danc

Am firing it up today to plane some more poplar. I'll see how it is with the waxed bed's.

Thanks for the info, David!

Wayne

Dusty Sawyer

New User
David
Good to hear. Mine did have that problem and I was not very happy about it until I found that it was pretty easy to get fixed.

I read an article this A.M. highlighting what you have described. Evidently it applies to all DW735's with a Serial No. of 200440 and below. (not mine:icon_thum)

I took off the side panel as you described and everything looks brand spankin' new......not even dusty!:eusa_danc

Am firing it up today to plane some more poplar. I'll see how it is with the waxed bed's.

Thanks for the info, David!

Wayne

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
It would appear that waxing the bed solved the issue!!:eusa_danc:eusa_clap:eusa_danc:eusa_clap:eusa_danc:eusa_clap

Thanks all for yet another great set of hints. Everything is back to its good old self again! (TOUCH WOOD:slap:)

Wayne

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Same issue here with my Dewalt 735 planer. Waxed the bed, but it looks as if I should have cleaned the beds first. Sticky streaks from sap, etc. Of course the Johnson Paste Wax didn't take the streaks away. Any suggestions on what to clean with before another wax job? Have the same kinda streaks on my TS and jointer bed. Thought I might clean them all again and rewax.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I should have cleaned the beds first. Sticky streaks from sap, etc. Any suggestions on what to clean with before another wax job?

Try Mineral Spirits. Turpentine, or even WD-40. They should take off just about any gook that may have been left.
Dave:)

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
DNA (denatured alcohol) works good also. Let it dwell a bit on it by laying a wet rag or plastic over it , and the resin wipes off easily.

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS