Dumb Question: Attaching guide to Bosch Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
I have an older Bosch B1350 router that I would like to use with the PC 4212 Dovetail jig. The DT comes with a template guide that attaches to the router but I don't have a clue on how to attach it:eusa_thin

Do I need a different template guide specifically from Bosch? It does not appear the PC guide is compatible with this router or that there is any way to attach it? Any clues?

When am I going to be able to make a complete project without having to go out and buy ANOTHER tool. . . . . . sheesh - it never ends. :BangHead:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Hi Rick,

Your baseplate of the router should have a very slight recess in the center of the base to seat the PC bushing that came with jig. Looks like this one....

DSC00329.JPG

Unscrew it and seat into your base like this..........

DSC00332.JPG

Then you just sit the router on top of the template and ride the router through the template allowing the bushing to follow the fingers.

DSC00334.JPG

The bushing is only thing really attached to your router....??

If your bushing doesn't seat into your Bosch base, then yes you would have to buy a new baseplate that will accept PC style bushings. But, they are readily available and pretty inexpensive.

Not sure if this helpful to ya or not......

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
When am I going to be able to make a complete project without having to go out and buy ANOTHER tool. . . . . . sheesh - it never ends. :BangHead:

That's the beauty of this hobby, ever project is a tool buying opportunity. :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

Wayne hit it right in the head, some routers have more than one sub-base, and one should accept the PC style bushing, they are the standard. If you don't have that, an after market sub-base from WC would be a good investment. You will have many other uses for template bushings in the future.
Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Bosch has their own breed of bushings; the rest of the world, I believe, uses Porter-Cable bushings. But all is not lost, you should be able to find a base that will fit or you can buy an adapter for your router to accept PC bushings. See our own Tom Hintz' writeup at NewWoodworker.com.

HTH. Rob

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Thanks for the replies to all of you. Looks like I need the Bosch Adapter kit including the RA1100. My router is not listed as one of the routers supported so router number 2 might now be on the shopping cart . . . . . time to search the Buy/Sell board

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
Look under the baseplate of your Bosch router for another bolt pattern. I'm not sure about that particular model but many Bosch routers have a second bolt hole set that matches the PC 890/690 baseplates so you can get one of theirs with the stepped hole and screw it right on.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
You could also just get the Bosch template guides, but don't let me steer you away from getting another tool by any means.:lol:

Ralrick

New User
Rick
The continuing saga for cutting my first Dovetails . . . . .

I went out today and bought a Jasper Adapter plate for my Bosch router. I should have opened the package in the store since I was smart enough to bring my router and the existing baseplate (dumb move). Anyway, the gentleman helping me is very nice and takes my existing baseplate, matches up the holes on the packing and says: yep, this will work - the holes are close to lining up and the center of the plate is close to the center of the router. I've now learned, the key word in that sentence was CLOSE. Close does not appear to be good enough when it comes to cutting dovetails.

I had already set up the dovetail jig this morning, so when I get home with the base plate, it is an easy install and I'm not long before making sawdust. I do notice that the bit is not in the center of the adapter but no matter how much I play with it, there is no way to get it centered. What the heck . . . . lets give it a whirl and see what happens.

Well the first pass goes just as expected. I am only using MDF so there is a little tearout on the front board but nothing that would affect the fit of the DT's. Everything looks good but I quickly notice that the DT's are not cut in the exact center between the guides of the teeth on the jig. At this point, I'm confident they will not fit together but I decide to check anyway. Sure enough, they are about 1/16 overlap and there is no way for the boards to connect. I did notice however, that my depth of cut seemed to be perfect (a small positive to take from the experience :eusa_danc )

Not worried about ruining the boards, I decided to put the boards back in the jig (and btw, the PC jig is great for alignment of the wood and the offset - everything seemed perfect) and rotate the router 180* so that the bit can even out the cut. Obviously this won't work perfect, but it's worth a try. To make a long story a little shorter . . . . . here are the pics of my first half-blind dovetails. My decision is now complete - the current bosch router will be my router table router and I'll be off to the store to buy a router to work with the PC jig. The only for sure thing I know about woodworking at this point is that - when you don't know the answer, the answer will somehow include buying a new tool . . . . . :icon_thum

Attachments

• HBDT - 1.jpg
    HBDT - 1.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 198

dick541

New User
dick cunningham
Rick;
If you need a PC router plate I have 1 or 2 extra ones and I will give you one. You can put new holes in it it if you need. You do need a centering guage to set it up right.
dick

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Send Pat Warner (Pat warner.com) an E-mail and see if his sub bases will fit your router. He makes them and they accept PC guide bushings. Really nice pieces!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS