Downeast wood source- trip report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Ok, I fumble-fingered the first one and lost it so got to type it again IHIWTH.

I visited our local tree service guy this morning and the sawyer this afternoon. Some good news for Area 5 and surrounding area!

Tree service guy had some pine, cypress and oak, air dried but most of his stuff is still green. He has some nice walnut (20+" logs) that will be cut soon so if you want some wide, green walnut let me know.

The sawyer, Kevin Everett, has quite a supply of air dried hardwood. His stuff is all nicely stacked, stickered and under cover, in either open-sided sheds or enclosed barns. He has a total several thousand board feet of lumber. In addition to the hardwood he has pine, but I did not look closely at nor tally that. Much of the wood has been air drying for multiple years and the moisture content is generally at 12% or less (equilibrium moisture for each species) and should drop to under 10% once brought into the shop. It is all bandmill rough cut, usually to 4/4 but he does have some 8/4. He rarely throws anything out so, in addition to the long stock, has some stacks of lumber 6' long or shorter, depending on species. Keven does not do planing. I took my moisture meter, but forgot my camera! Here is a brief summary (does not include all his lumber):

Walnut (largest quantity, multiple stacks!)
Thickness: 4/4, Avg. Width: 8" - 10", Avg Length: 6' - 10', Quantity: 4000 - 5000 bft. Grade: #1 or better (a lot of Select and FAS)

Cherry
Thickness: 4/4 (some 6/4), Avg. Width: 4" - 8", Avg Length: 8' - 10', Quantity: > 1500 bft. Grade: #1 or better (a lot of Select and FAS)

Maple (sorry don't know species, due to some dark streaks looks like soft) maple)
Thickness: 4/4, Avg. Width: 6" - 10", Avg Length: 12', Quantity: 1000+ bft. Grade: #1 or better (a lot of Select and FAS)

Poplar
Thickness: 4/4, Avg. Width: 8" - 10", Avg Length: 16', Quantity: 1000+ bft. Grade: #1 or better (a lot of Select and FAS).
Also has some 14" wide X 12' long poplar

Other wood:

Beech (limited quantity call for details)

Magnolia
Thickness:
4/4, Avg. Width: 6" - 12", Avg Length: 16', Quantity: 500+ bft. Grade: #1 or better

Eastern Red Cedar (aromatic)
Thickness: 4/4 (also has small stack of 2/4), Avg. Width: random, Avg Length: 8', Quantity: 1500 bft. Grade: #2 or better? (typical cedar),
Also has a number of shorts, blocks, turning blanks, etc.

Pecan
Thickness:
4/4, Avg. Width: 10" - 12", Avg Length: 10', Quantity: ? bft. Grade: #1 or better (a lot of Select and FAS)

Cypress- didn't write down specifics. Large quantity.

Pine- lots pine

Persimmon
A number of 3" X3" X 6' Persimmon boards. VERY, VERY, HARD. Suitable for Chess pieces, small turnings, and other small items?

Notes:

Since his stock is stacked and stickered you will generally be buying off the top. Kevin is conservative in figuring bft and will not charge for checked ends or or junk. He will work with you. He is not giving his wood away, but generally charges half (or less) of the current market price for rough-cut kiln dried lumber- a real deal.

This wood has a gray, weathered appearance, but the true grain and color quickly reveal themselves with just a scatch or light skip planing. Kevin uses his planer in his own shop and does not provide planing services. He has a WoodMizer LT40 with hydraulics and provides very reasonably priced band mill services in and around Beaufort County.

Kevin has a day job so plan on contacting him in the evenings or weekends for more details about his wood or milling services. I think a trip to Little Washington for some wood is well worth the time and price of gas.

Please tell Kevin you heard about him from me. Thanks.

Kevin Everett
Kevin's Custom Sawing and Furniture
252-923-0345

I will copy this info to the Sawyers and Wood Suppliers lists.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Alan,

I Googled Kevin's name and only came up with something about the Buffalo Bills... whoever they are:lol: Does he have a website? Price list?

Ray

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Ok, Kevin does not have a web site, he's not much into the internet. He works days as an engineer at PCS Phosphate. He has a small operation continuing the sawing that his father started and also does a small amount of woodworking.

Prices- as I said about 1/2 retail (i.e. about half of what retailers like Steve Wall Lumber charge) and in line with Kyle's prices- around $2.50 bft for 4/4 Cherry and Walnut. But it is best to call and talk with Kevin or better yet make a field trip some Saturday (call first) with a pickup so you don't go home empty handed.

Sorry, I can't be more specific than that.

Oh, visitors out here can get a tour of my "shop in progress" if I'm home. It will only cost you a few bft :lol::lol::lol:

J

jeff...

Alan, I would really like a shop tour, how many people can your shop hold?

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Alan
Thanks for the in-depth report on your findings:icon_thum Sounds like another good wood source :eusa_danc

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Alan, I would really like a shop tour, how many people can your shop hold?

Standing- oh, 20-25 or more, easy, without spooning
Sitting- 2 chairs, bench space, assembly table.
Assembly table sleeps 2, not too comfortable
Knee wall area is reserved for scraps, future projects, misc. storage, elves and gnomes.
Wheel chair accessible via I-Beam electric hoist.

Drop by any time- call first to be sure I'll be home. I'm in the book. I always like to show off my shop, whether it deserves it or not.

T-Man

New User
Tony
Alan,Thanks for the information on kevins Custom Sawing.Sounds like I need to take a ride.... Thanks Again,T-MAN.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Thanks for the info Alan. You and the sawyer are just down the road from me in Winterville.
There is another person with a Woodmizer mill located in Calico on Hwy 43 between Vanceboro and Greenville named John Baker. Operates Calico Custom Lumber & Chain Saw Art. I got a large stash of cherry and oak from him last year for a reasonable cost. His inventory varies, but there is almost always cypress, pine, aromatic cedar, oak available, as well as a large stack of Brazilian cherry.
Since I travel all over eastern NC with my job, next time I am in Little Washington I will call for an appointment. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS