Dogwood bowl (my dumpy bowl)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Threejs

New User
David
So I finally got back out in the shop to do some turning. I have been so tired this past month with the newborn, that I have had almost no shop time. Well tonight and last night broke the fast.

Here is the first chunk of wood that I removed from the dogwood tree that I hauled back from the mountains last week. It will probably self destruct, as the bottom is thin enough to see light through if you hold it up to a lamp. But it was fun to turm.

(FYI, I punched the inclusion out after I turned it. I am still surprised it held together on the lathe.) I still need to put another coat or 2 of finish on it, but I like how in looks in real life. The photos don't really do it justice.

Oh yeah, the wife didn't like it, and called it dumpy. Well before I knocked out all the inclusions. Now she likes it.

BumoutBob

New User
Bob
Cool, good job. Have some dogwood too. Cleaned the bark off some pieces and found borer. Hope I got rid of it all.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's got character, no soup holding ability, so it must be art. Looks good to me. I wouldn't say "dumpy", maybe holey :lol::lol::lol:

Dave:)

J

jeff...

I really like that bowl it's a piece of Art - EARL are you paying attention here?

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Dumpy- I LIKE dumpy lol
nice piece of dogwood there. did you take the inclusions out on purpose or out of necessity?

what finish are you putting on it?

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice job David. That bowl is unique, one of a kind. Like DaveO said not very good for soup but like Jeff said art. Well done.

JRD

New User
Jim
How large is it?

I've worked only with very small pieces of dogwood. Finding a piece large enough for a bowl must have been tough because they normally don't develop a large diameter trunk.

Jim

Threejs

New User
David
How large is it?

I've worked only with very small pieces of dogwood. Finding a piece large enough for a bowl must have been tough because they normally don't develop a large diameter trunk.

Jim

The bowl is about 3" tall, and 5" across. Not a very big bowl, but then again I don't have a very big lathe.

nice piece of dogwood there. did you take the inclusions out on purpose or out of necessity?
I took the inclusions out, mainly because I wasn't really happy with how the bark felt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS