Delivered the curio cabinet today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
A week or so ago, I posted a picture of a cherry curio cabinet that I was making for my granddaughter. It's finished and I delivered it today. I (Heaven forbid) put two coats of Bartley Pennsylvania cherry gel stain on it and three coats of the gel varnish. I made a cherry cradle for this granddaughter before she was born (she's now 4 1/2) and used the same stain on it that I used with the curio. You can see what the cradle looked like shortly after I made it and then what it looked like 3 years later. If the curio darkens like the cradle, I'll be very pleased. My photographic skills leave much to be desired.

[
curio7.jpg

cherrycradle.jpg

cradle1.jpg

skeeter

New User
Charles
Really nice job on the curio. Very smooth finish. I don't like working with glass. Always afraid I'll break something.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Well Done Stuart!!!:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum Boy you made quick work with that!

Personally. I really like the color of the finish. I will have to keep your formula handy for my next cherry piece!:eusa_thin:eusa_thin

Looks like you did a great job with all of that glass!!

Thanks for sharing w/us!!!

Wayne

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
That came out great! Love the glass shelves and doors. How do you like working with the gel varnish? I remember trying a gel polyurethane many years ago, and it wasn't great.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Two FINE looking projects!!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Nice work Stuart! Thanks for sharing! :icon_thum

Trent

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Wow that came out great! Where'd you get the glass? I have plans for a stackable Barrister Bookcase that I'll be making before too long and it calls for a glass inset.

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Bas, I really like using the gel stain and varnish. It was very easy...wipe on, wipe off, let dry 6 hrs. and then repeat if desired. No sanding between coats is required. The same process with the gel varnish.

Will, I got the glass from a glass company in Chapel Hill (well, it really is in Carrboro). If ordered before noon, it will be delivered the next day. Be prepared for sticker shock if you use it because it is not cheap. I ordered 7 pieces and almost passed out when they quoted the price but there was no way I was not going to use tempered glass. I googled tempered glass and read about the process. Once cut to size and the edges polished the glass is heated to 600 degrees and then rapidly cooled with cold air. Once tempered, it cannot be cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS