Cypress Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have recently finished a couple projects out of cypress,:eusa_clap both are finished with pure tung oil thinned with turpentine.

Hopefully I have attached them to the post correctly.:roll: If not, they can be viewed in my album under "recent projects". One project is a door and the other is a garden plant stand.

Jerry

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
great looking stuff Jerry! I will be picking up some of that this summer, when I get the CFO's approval.... Nice looking cypress!

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
NCPete said:
great looking stuff Jerry! I will be picking up some of that this summer, when I get the CFO's approval.... Nice looking cypress!

Thank you Peter------that cypress came from McEwen in High Point.

Jerry

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
dozer said:
They both look great I really like the way the door turned out.

Thanks Mike------The door is 1 3/4 thick with 7/8 thick floating panels held in with lodging on either side and the moulding applied around the panels outside only. I think the door will probably outlast me.

Jerry

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Great door Jerry but I'm also intrigued by the building. What kind of siding is it? Looks interesting in the photo.

pete

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Pete--------The siding is what was called "boone" siding a few years back. Maybe because someone in the Boone, NC area came up with the idea. It is spruce pine, the log was slabbed off on one side and then turned with that flat on the carriage of the mill, then sliced up in 1" boards leaving the natural contour on one edge.

I stained it with a dark walnut exterior stain. It has been there 20 years or more.

Jerry

sapwood

New User
Roger
Nice work Jerry! I really like the design of the garden planter. I would love to see pixs with more detail. :icon_thum

The door looks great too, but prior to the explanation about siding I thought it was a Hobbit House :lol:

Sapwood

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
sapwood said:
Nice work Jerry! I really like the design of the garden planter. I would love to see pixs with more detail. :icon_thum

Sapwood

The LOML saw a picture of the plant stand in a magazine and commented how well she liked it. The dimensions given did not fit the pot she wanted to put in it so I just made a larger version. What details are you most interested in? It is basically a square with inside dimension to suit your need. The circle diameter is roughly 1/3 the width of the side and placed with the center of it about 1/3 of the height down from the top or according to the height of the pot to be put in it. There are 2 cleats fastened to opposite sides inside just above the cut outs. Then slats are spaced and fastened to bridge the sides and make a platform for the pot to sit on. I put a "rail" around the top to cover the end grain and give a little better appearance.

Clear as mud?:lol: If you want the dimensions I will measure it up for you.

Cheers, Jerry

sapwood

New User
Roger
Thanks Jerry, you explained it pretty well and dimensions aren't needed :-D

But, is that a vertical slot running from the circle to the ground?

Sapwood

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Yes Roger------the slot width will vary in proportion to the overall size. I did what pleased my eye. Just keep in mind it is easier to take a little more out than it is to put it back.:)

Jerry

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Jerry, I like them both. Man, that door is beautiful. I really like the grain a lot. Great job. :eusa_clap

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors