Cut me up a Moose today!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
A Woodimal Moose that is - I used some of that Spalted Maple that I have to cut this out for my lovely wife - No finish on it yet
Moose1.jpg

View image in gallery

sawduster

New User
Robert
Good job on one of J W Sweet's woodimals bro :icon_thum It will look really sweet when you darken it up with some finish :icon_cheers

Nicely done :banana:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Good job on one of J W Sweet's woodimals bro :icon_thum It will look really sweet when you darken it up with some finish :icon_cheers

Nicely done :banana:

Thanks bro - what would you do on the finish - dip the whole thing or just do the front and back

sawduster

New User
Robert
Thanks bro - what would you do on the finish - dip the whole thing or just do the front and back

Me personally ? I would dip 'er in 50/50 BLO and thinner
Take it apart, give it a bath, blot with paper towels and put it away in the house somewhere ( dust free ) for about a week or so ....then rattle can it with semi :icon_thum

That's just the only way I know to do it . There are lots of other and better ways I'm sure
Maybe someone else will speak up and we both learn something :mrgreen:

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Me personally ? I would dip 'er in 50/50 BLO and thinner
Take it apart, give it a bath, blot with paper towels and put it away in the house somewhere ( dust free ) for about a week or so ....then rattle can it with semi :icon_thum

That's just the only way I know to do it . There are lots of other and better ways I'm sure
Maybe someone else will speak up and we both learn something :mrgreen:

I was thinking about giving him a bath but I am a little concern about it swelling some and the pieces not fitting afterwards - Any thoughts on that

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Nice moose!!!:thumbs_up I really like covering my scroll saw work with Danish Oil. I have been using Watco from Klingspors, but its available at Lowes too. There are several shades as well as natural. Really simple, just drench it or dip it and let it sit for 30 minutes or so, then do it again. Let it dry about 20 more minutes, then wipe off the excess. It will dry in 24 hours. Polyurethane is my choice for the final finish, but let the item dry for 72 or more hours before the urethane application. It will give you a finish that looks great and protects the wood as well. However, if its a toy for sale, don't put any finish on it to comply with IDIOTIC!!! DUMB!!! Gummint Reglashuns. Whooda evr thunk we'd need to be protected from our own Gummint?:icon_scra

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Phillip that maple sure makes that pattern work.:icon_thum I agree with Robert and Bruce on dipping. I have used 50/50 BLO, Tung oil, and Danish oil depending on what I want to accomplish.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
That is REALLY cool Phillip! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap I love the design and the choice of wood is excellent. Nice work! :icon_thum

sawduster

New User
Robert
I was thinking about giving him a bath but I am a little concern about it swelling some and the pieces not fitting afterwards - Any thoughts on that

I have never had an issue with BLO swelling my pieces and I do a lot of animal puzzles. If you cut them with a #3 there is plenty of kerf there anyway . I keep them apart while they are drying, then put them back together for finishing ( usually Deft ) . i do not put finish on the edges of the pieces

....like sawman said though, don't sell them to any kids ! family gifts are OK I guess. I've stopped doing kid's puzzles for craft shows :wsad: I only do wooden cars and only out of maple w/ no finish
everything else is marketed to adults

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS