Cut down a large maple today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
I cut this monster down with 026 with a 18" bar. I used my saw with a 20" bar to cut the lead and some big limbs off and when I went to crank it again gas had leaked all over the place and it would not crank so I was left with the small saw to take this big old tree down. Luckly a friend was able to pull it on over with his Jeep. The small saw lacked about 3" of cutting thru so I would say it was right at 39" in dia. The big saw cranked after we got this one on the ground so I guess it had flooded. I've never had a problem with it, but it is getting kind of old. The reason I left the stump so high is that there is barb wire in the bottom section which has stained it very dark. Ken, I will save you a pen blank from this little tree too.
Jack
100_1579.jpg

100_1580.jpg

100_1581.jpg

bwat

New User
Bill
I'll bet you hated to see that one go...no more shade for those picnic tables...nice views!

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Why on earth would you cut down such a magnificent tree?
Was it sick? Was it threatening to fall on your house?
I have a personal rule: I don't cut down anything older than myself.
I hope you're able to put the wood to good use. :wsad:

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Thanks everyone, this tree was on someones land about 3 miles from my house. It was hollow down to about 15 feet of the ground and most of the limbs had broken during our heavy snows this winter. I was more than pleased to see the bottom section of the tree was sound when it went down. My friend and I had figured worst thing that we could end up with was some fire wood if it was hollow down to the ground, but it looks like the large trunk of the tree is sound so there will be a bowl or two from this tree. I was more than a little scared that a broken limbe would fall on me as it started over, but all went well even with chainsaw problems. I went thru my big saw today and couldn't find anything wrong so I think sitting in the hot sun must have made it force gas into the thing and flood it out.
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS