Curly box elder ginger jar....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Here is a box in the form of a ginger jar that I turned from some flame box elder that also had a bit of curl in it. Box elder is soft and prone to tear out and was a pain to sand on the inside as this box stretched the length to which my fingers could reach. I had to use long forceps for the bottom.

This box is 4 1/2" tall and 4" in diameter. I chose a non-traditional shape for the lid. Not too sure about it....

Attachments

• BEGjar sidebyside (750 x 443).jpg
    BEGjar sidebyside (750 x 443).jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 151

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I like it!:-D pretty wood. did ya spill peach paint on it for the color???:rolf: love the flameing grain on that stuff.:icon_thum

fred p

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Another amazing box Mike. The box elder is beautiful. I like the shape of the box and lid. It works well together. Great job! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Awesome Mike, I would love to get my hands on some spalted/flame BE some day. It makes beautiful turnings. I like the lid also :icon_thum

Dave:)

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Man those are pretty. :eusa_clapNice color. :eusa_clapOnly in my dreams could I ever do something like that. :cry:

J

jeff...

I gotta find me a nice box elder for the sawmill to chew on. That's really nice Mike :icon_thum

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
They look great. I'd be careful about sticking my fingers into a jar like that with a piece of sandpaper. 10+ years ago I did it on a brake cylinder in a lathe to hone it. As the thought came to me that this might not be the safest way to do this I heard my thumb bone snap. :BangHead: Forceps are a great idea.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dennis, the danger associated with sanding inside an object like this is exactly the reason I made the point of mentioning that I used forceps to sand beyond the safe reach of my fingers. I could not insert much more than a finger in this anyway. The opening is only slightly over 2" in diameter.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I appreciate your kind thoughts.

skeeter

New User
Charles
Nice looking jar. I like the style and the lid looks great with the jar. Box elder has an awesome look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS