Cored half of a large oak burl today

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
I worked up half the large oak burl today. I only had a handfull of scrape from the half I cored. I ended up with 8 bowls including the bottom I cored off to use. It is some of the prettiest oak I've ever seen. I hope it dries without much problem. The bggest is around 17" in dia.
Jack
Blank ready to be mounted.
100_1377.JPG

Mounted and ready to start.
100_1379.JPG

first couple bowls already cored out
100_1381.JPG

Pretty grain in these bowls
100_1383.JPG

This is the bottom I had left after coring. I turned the edge down and got a pretty bowl without the natural edge.
100_1384.JPG

The bowls that came from one half of the burl. I cored the small core shown in this picture after it was taken which gave me a total of 8 bowls.
100_1387.JPG

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Wow very nice! How will you finish them? It almost makes me want a lathe, but then I come to my senses ;).

DaveO

New User
DaveO
After I learn how to turn well I would love a coring tool. I hate having more bowl on the floor than on the lathe.
Question now that you've cored these bowls, I assume you let them dry and then true them up. How do you chuck the bowls to turn them again???

Dave:)

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
After I learn how to turn well I would love a coring tool. I hate having more bowl on the floor than on the lathe.
Question now that you've cored these bowls, I assume you let them dry and then true them up. How do you chuck the bowls to turn them again???

Dave:)

They got little nipples on them Dave

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
great looking burl!
fantastic that you are able to not waste so much of it
can't wait to see the results~
got to look into a coring system
will pay for itself in saved wood in a hurry

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
Man those are going to be some beautiful bowls.I would like to have a coreing tool.But I've got to learn how to turn first.When I turned the spalted maple burl I cried when I looked at the waste.:cry_smile

HLW

Harold
User
I not only don't have a coring tool but I also don't have a band saw large enough to cut a piece of wood that large to put on my lathe. Nice work!:eusa_clap

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
MAN,that is some beautifull (GAIN) see 3rd pic :wink_smil wood,prettiest oak burl I'V seen.Sorry Jack ,couldn't help myself
Can't wait to see the finished bowls :icon_cheers:icon_cheers
Ken

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Great work Jack. Nice having a coring set up.
Just recently sold my lathe and all my tools. Just couldn't get into it.
Still like to see other folks skills though.

flyrod444

New User
Jack
Thanks for the compliments everyone. I looked at it today and so far so good. I just finished coring 5 more bowls out of half of the other half of this burl. I'm not sure what will happen with the last fourth of this burl. Maybe I'll try a Hollow Form or slab it out for turkey calls?
Thanks again,
Jack

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
It would be pretty in hollow-form Jack.

A relatively simple shape so as not to compete (or get lost in) the burl.

Really pretty stuff you have there.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS