Completed Night Stands

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillPappas

New User
Bill
Well I finally completed 2 night stands and can officially say my 7 or is it 8 year effort to build a bedroom set is complete! I recently posted some under construction pictures and thought you might want to see the finished product.

Regards,

Bill

Night_Stand_2_1_.jpg

Night_Stand_1_1_.jpg

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Great looking nightstands! The figure on the wood is really nice, excellent job matching the drawers. Plus - dovetailed drawers....can't go wrong if you have dovetailed drawers :)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Nice work, Bill. You can be proud of those! (I would be!)

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Super looking night stands!!!!

The base and feet really give the cabinet a nice stance! What kind of wood and finish did you use?

Those drawer handles really give the caninet a nice look.

Excellent work!:eusa_danc

Wayne

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I really like the lines on those. Simple but elegant. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Is there a bead type detail on the top under-bevel??
What kind of wood and what was your finish schedule?
Dave:)

lottathought

New User
Michael
Very Nice!!!

So you said it took 7-8 years..
What made you decide on the nightstands last?

And how much trouble did you have matching wood and look of the different pieces from over the years?

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
Beautiful nightstands. I echo Waynes question. What stain / finsh system did you use. The grain really pops.

BillPappas

New User
Bill
Thanks for all the kind words on the night stands. I will try and answer the questions...same answers for all the pieces in the bedroom set.

The wood I used was mahogany for the carcass, maple for the inner structural members, oak or cherry for drawer sides/backs and quarter sawn sapele for drawer and door fronts.

The wood is sanded through all grits including 220. I rub in one coat of BLO wait 2 days for it to dry and rub it down a number of times while it is drying. After the BLO drys I pad on 4 thin coats of my special mixture that includes the following ingredients - Behlens Rockhard Table Top Varnish (3 fingers), BLO (1 finger) and 1-2 fingers of mineral spirits. My final coat is a thin coat of Minwax Poly Satin which knocks down the gloss but not completely. After a couple of weeks I will take a brown paper bag and rub down the surface to remove any dust nibs.

Attached are pictures of the rest of the bedroom set.

The 12 drawer chest came from Bill Hyltons book of Chests. It was the first item built for the bedroom set. All other items are my design but as you can see have retained the main features of the 12 drawer chest. The book provided the details for how to cut the drawer pulls and the top molding...all done on the router table.

Thanks,

Bill

12 Drawer Chest and Mirror
Chest.jpg

Armoire
Armiore.jpg

Armoire with Doors Open
Armoire_1_.jpg

Blanket Chest

JohnW

New User
John
Bill, They all look fantastic. I like the design and you finish is excellent. The wood combinations and matching work very well.

Bet it feels GREAT to have them all completed.

John W

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Whoa - very nice work!! Love the wood selection and the QS sapele is incredible looking. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Whatcha gonna do for the next 8 years? :lol: :lol: :slap:

Chuck

BillPappas

New User
Bill
Very Nice!!!

So you said it took 7-8 years..
What made you decide on the nightstands last?

And how much trouble did you have matching wood and look of the different pieces from over the years?

I think the night stands came last because we really did not need them as much as the chest of drawers and armoire.

I did not have any trouble matching the wood because I bought the vast majority of it the same time. I did have to go hunt down some mahogany to finish the night stands but I was able to use the new stuff on the bottom of the carcass. The sapelle was all bought at the same time and was actually book matched...you can see the book matching on the armoire doors. Because of the time differences between the different pieces you really see the change in colors. The chest of drawer is much darker today than any other pieces.

Regards,

Bill

BillPappas

New User
Bill
Whoa - very nice work!! Love the wood selection and the QS sapele is incredible looking. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Whatcha gonna do for the next 8 years? :lol: :lol: :slap:

Chuck

Home office furniture....hope it takes less time :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS