Colt acting like an a...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Rose

New User
Larry Rose
I've got a Bosch Colt trim router that works great but changing bits gives me a fit. The little red button that is supposed to lock the shaft so one can loosen the collet is hard for me to hold in place and loosen the collet at the same time. I have a problem with arthritis in my hands. It's a major chore every time and I'm starting to avoid using it for that reason. Any one have that problem or know what to do? Except for that I really love using the little bugger.

Glennbear

Glenn
I have some hand strength issues due to an old injury and use an Irwin quik clamp for those times when I have a problem. The rubber pads give protection yet it is strong enough to do the job. I don't own one of those routers (yet:gar-La;) but hopefully my "fix" will work for you. :wsmile:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I've got a Bosch Colt trim router that works great but changing bits gives me a fit. The little red button that is supposed to lock the shaft so one can loosen the collet is hard for me to hold in place and loosen the collet at the same time. I have a problem with arthritis in my hands. It's a major chore every time and I'm starting to avoid using it for that reason. Any one have that problem or know what to do? Except for that I really love using the little bugger.

I experienced the same problem with mine, Larry.:BangHead: I went out and picked up a 10MM bicycle cone wrench. I now change bits using the cone wrench and supplied collet wrench to change bits. Works great!:wsmile:

And oh ya, other than the spindle lock, its a great little router!!

Wayne

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I don't have any hand trouble (at this time), but found it a bit irritating as well. Single wrench is nice, but the lock button could be better engineered in my opinion.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Rumor has it that if you contact Bosch and complain they will send you an extra wrench.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Spindle lock button sucks, eventually doesn't work at all. Two wrenches better, I had to grind my own to fit.

Dave:)

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I contacted customer service at Robert Bosch about this exact issue and received a response from Michelle stating that she would order me a wrench and mail it out. I got it a week or so later. So, just send them a email expressing your problem with the unit and ask for a wrench.

http://www.boschtools.com/

Mike

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Mike for that confirmation. I hope my experience with them goes as well as yours.

Sandy Rose

New User
Sandy
I think you should pass that off to your loving son and buy yourself a new one - You shouldn't have to waste too much time on piddley stuff like that!!!!!:gar-Bi

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I have found there are multiple areas where it seems like the shaft lock engages, but only one where it really depresses deeply and keeps the shaft from turning.

As has been posted, Bosch will send you a wrench.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Well I sent an e-mail about one and half weeks ago regarding this issue. I got the automated response that I would receive a peresonal reply in two working days. Nothing at all. I have already ground down a wrench to work with the spindle flats, but I was hoping that Bosch might get the message if enough people e-mailed them to just include a wrench or fix the spindle lock assembly so it works.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
After reading this topic when it first come up, having the same problem, I emailed Bosch. I guess the email worked. I got this reply on Wednesday......

Dear Wayne,
Thank you for writing. I am sorry for the trouble. I have ordered a second wrench that will fit the flats of the spindle and will enable you to make bit changes with the 1st wrench. Please allow 3 to 5 working days for delivery. If you have further questions please write back.

Michelle
Bosch Customer Service

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
having recently acquired one of these little horses, perhaps I should look into firing off an email to Bosch, too?? sort of as a pre-emptive strike? but where would I go for that email addy?????? is it as easy as boschtools.com????

edit: bosch tools

Last edited:

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
I sent this email to them...

Topic: Performance/Design/Safety
Comments: Hello! On my colt router the collet stop button barely is working and I'm afraid soon to stop altogether. Can't you supply an additional wrench or something to help change the bits. Of all my Bosch stuff, this is the only real concern and dissatisfier I have.
Thanks,
Wayne

They replied in a couple weeks. Now, the wrench is on the way.

RayH

New User
Ray
Michelle is a popular person at Bosch. She just promised me a wrench also. My kinda tech support:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Beancounter

New User
Todd
While I haven't had an issue with my Colt yet, I had a problem with the magnesium housing corroding on a 5 year old Bosch 1617 and Bosch took care of me. An email to Bosch customer service and two days later Michelle instructed me to send it to their NJ service center where they replaced the magnesium housing with aluminum. Only cost to me was one-way shipping and I had the router back within 7 business days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS