Classifieds ads Policy - Immediate Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
It has always been the unofficial policy of NCWW that our classifieds be "Woodworking Related". Of course, over time we have let a few things pass. But as time went by, there have been more non WW related items. So It is time to make and clarify our policy. This will be done as soon as one of the staff as time to write it and get through the Advisory Panel.

But in the meantime, I am asking all of you to respect the intent. Only WW related items may be posted in our classifieds. No exceptions, without the prior approval of staff member. If you have a non-WW item up please delete.

Staff, if you see one that needs deletion, please do so, referencing this thread.

If you want further clarification, please post to this thread. Your questions will probably help us to compose a simple and clear formal policy. That will be published as soon as we can.

I apologize to those that got caught in this. You are not to blame, because we did not make the policy overt and clear. And there just isn't a way newbies can read the minds of us that have been here for awhile. Also, to those whose ads are deleted, because they are on the edge of the unofficial policy. We'll try to do a better job of making things clear

J

jeff...

So the item(s) must be used for the sole purpose of WoodWorking (“Webster Noun 1858 - the act, process, or occupation of working wood into a useful or desired form”) - old socks / underwear / tooth brushes / ect… ) are not to be posted. I think I got it - Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Hmmm, I find old socks, t-shirts and tooth brushes excellent for cleaning up glue or apply finishes in the process of "working wood into a useful or desired form". But I create enough stock of those items on my own and wouldn't need to buy any from anyone.

The decree has been laid down but I really don't see what the big deal is about things that aren't 100% directly related to woodworking being listed in the classifieds. The only problem I could come up with would be if they took up too much space. I would prefer to try and sell things to my friends and folks I can trust over dealing with the potential riff-raf on Craig's List or E-bay. I am not saying that the classifieds here should become a clearing house for everybody's house hold crap. But if it can be loosely related to woodworking or DIY work, like a truck or generator etc. it should be accepted.
Also I think that anything being offered for free should be accepted. That is just members trying to do a good turn to others and keep the "wealth" in the "family"

That's my opinion and may not reflect that of the management or sponsors.

Dave:)

Rob

New User
Rob
The problem you can run into allowing other items for sale is that we might get people just signing up to sell stuff, not actually contributing anything to the board. That's my take on it anyways.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
So I won't be getting my swedish massage based on information from NCWW. sigh, that's okay I don't need splinters!
Steve I'm not sure what brought this up but - I'm all for whatever you say.
We don't need a lot of ads in my opinion - especially ones that aren't ww related. Its been a 'safe haven' from pop ups and the crap that most sites inundate me with.
Some things that aren't ww related per-se but are ww'er related and 'in the family' such as one I saw for a pickup at a LOW price - might be different. But how do you make a fair determination? No idea.
I'd hate to see the site suddenly be a sign up and sell your wares and disappear venue. I can't see Mr Steve letting that happen.
I for one trust his judgement and those of his staff, and as always appreciate the fine work they do.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Actually, the problem was that we did accept things that were loosely connected to WW but people began to stretch the definition until there were things that had no business on this site. There must be ways to define sharply what we wish to allow in the grey area. If we can get some suggestions that can be made to work, then we should try to accommodate a broader definition of what is allowed and was is not.

Dave, if you or one of the other members of the advisory panel want to start a discussion in that forum, let's see what we can come up with. There was an immediate problem that had to be dealt with and I made a definition that I think was very clear and allowed us to take immediate action without being perceived as arbitrary.

M

McRabbet

I drafted a policy statement and posted it in the Admininistrator/Moderators Forum at 4:00 PM this afternoon. Should the discussion occur there or in the Advisory Panel Forum?

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
I'd hate to see the site suddenly be a sign up and sell your wares and disappear venue. I can't see Mr Steve letting that happen.
I for one trust his judgement and those of his staff, and as always appreciate the fine work they do.[/quote]

Why not do the classifieds kinda like the discount qualfied.In order to post in the classifieds you have to be an ACTIVE member.:dontknow: Don't know if that will help or not? But it's a thought:icon_scra.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I took my truck off, if that was the problem.
It wasn't the primary problem, but in order to deal with the immediate problem, I stated a policy which would exclude vehicles so that there woud not be grey areas until a better policy could be written.

Sully

New User
jay
I understand the policy change and assume my ad was deemed in the grey area. However, I do have a question? It seems the pictures from my ad are also gone from my gallery. :eusa_thin

J
PS: I didn't think there was anything too controversial in those pictures: air nailer, pack of rivets, etc.

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
I understand the policy change and assume my ad was deemed in the grey area. However, I do have a question? It seems the pictures from my ad are also gone from my gallery. :eusa_thin

J
PS: I didn't think there was anything too controversial in those pictures: air nailer, pack of rivets, etc.

Jay
You add is still there it just has moved to the main category's and not shown on the side bar
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/ppclass/showproduct.php?product=437&cat=11&limit=recent&date=1200016899

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
I agree. We should not be competing with Craigs List. Restricting items to woodworking reflects the common inerest and intent of this site.

Jeff

J

jeff...

It wasn't the primary problem, but in order to deal with the immediate problem, I stated a policy which would exclude vehicles so that there woud not be grey areas until a better policy could be written.

Some vehicles aid greatly in the process of working wood into a useful or desired form.

R

rickc

I think about the time you find yourself "stretching" to find some way to tie an item to the woodworking hobby, it is a really good clue you have gone beyond the intent.

I remember one person trying to submit a classified ad to the TWA newsletter one year that went something like this: Free fully furnished woodshop and tools - with the purchase of a 3 BR house. $200,000.

Had to grin at the creativity. :gar-Bi

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I'm with DaveO and Robert. I like the idea of having the classifieds for active (DQ) members and open for anything that might be of interest to the group.

my 2cents - pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS