Cherry Console Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woody

New User
George
Finally finished one of two cherry tables. Got the idea off Restoration Hardware sight.

Attachments

• IMG_1004-1.JPG
    IMG_1004-1.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 274
M

McRabbet

Very nice table -- and a "swellegant" finish on the cherry, too. Very pretty -- hope you put pics into your Photo Gallery for others to see!

Rob

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Beautiful looking table George.:icon_thum Can you give some insight on some of the joinery you used along with how you attached the top?

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Beautiful Woody!!!! How did you do the drawer front? I am starting a project with a similar drawer and would love for mine to look as good as yours.
Dave:)

Woody

New User
George
Thanks for positive replys. The joinery at the rails is mortise and tennon. The bottom shelf is recessed into the legs with forty five degree slots cut into the legs and shelf angled the same, then attached to the front legs only with dowels up from the bottom of the legs with the back floating in the slots. The top is fastened with oak L's in routed slots in the rails. Something that doesn't show up in this pic is the **** molding around the drawer and bottom of the rails. The drawer front is cut from the same board as the front rail. The second table has better grain flow all the away across the front.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Beautiful finish on that cherry, Woody!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap I love the simplicity of design. I too would be interested in knowing more about your joinery technique used on the table's bottom shelf.

Thanks a bunch for sharing!

Wayne

cpowell

New User
Chuck
George, I was looking at the pic and thought you had used the same board for the entire front. From here the grain and color look very uniform.

I, too, like the bottom shelf joinery. I'd like to learn that technique. Makes the shelf appear to be literally floating. The floating shelf belies the overall structure though. The table looks really solid.

Good stuff there!

Chuck

sapwood

New User
Roger
Smooth George:icon_thum

The grain matchup is nice and I will never figure out the shelf joinery as the legs appear to be tapered also 8-O

Sapwood

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Very nice work! I agree that the drawer is almost invisible from the surrounding wood. I also like your choice of hardware. Nice even finish too! :icon_thum

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Very nice. The finish looks great.

How did you attach the lower shelf to the legs? I have done a few tables with shelves low like that, but I haven't really been satisfied with how I have attached them.

Woody

New User
George
A feeble attempt to show how I attached the shelf. The legs are tapered, but I cut the dado for the shelf before I tapered them in a V block jig on the table saw. The hole for the dowel was also drilled before tapering. As to the shelf floating in the rear legs in so far as to compromise strength, the legs are 2 1/2 in. sq. at the top with 4 1/2 in. of tenon, 1 1/2 deep. glued and doweled. I feel that should be adequately strong, I guess time will tell. I came up with the method, so I guess I can't blame anyone else if it fails. Thanks for the interest. George

Attachments

• IMG_1012.JPG
    IMG_1012.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 251

Grgramps

New User
Roy Hatch
George,
That table is beautiful and I liked the way you handled the lower shelf. It looks foolproof to me. Your gallery photos offer a much better view of the molding around the drawer. Cherry never disappoints. I'm also impressed with the size of your shop. Care to share the dimensions?
Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS