Cherry $1.35bf 1250 available

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
sap wood is not a defect and doesn't affect grade

You are technically correct. A furniture factory that is going to cover everything in "cherry" stain doesn't care about sapwood. But many (most?) amateur woodworkers are looking to showcase the natural beauty of the wood - for us, sapwood is a defect in cherry and walnut. It _does_ affect the price that _we_ are willing to pay.

Chris

cpowell

New User
Chuck
If 1 Common or better I'd take 100 bd ft. We'd need to split bundles and divide the narrow stuff between everyone. 4 inch cherry is not very desirable to me.

Chuck

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
I did not say earlier that I would like about 50 bd ft depending on what we learn of its condition.

thrytis

New User
Eric
Since it has been planed, one thing to check is what the actual thickness is. If it is 1" thick you can clean up a slight cup and still get 3/4" finished boards out of it. If it is 13/16", the wood better be very flat if you want 3/4" material out of it.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
You are technically correct. A furniture factory that is going to cover everything in "cherry" stain doesn't care about sapwood. But many (most?) amateur woodworkers are looking to showcase the natural beauty of the wood - for us, sapwood is a defect in cherry and walnut. It _does_ affect the price that _we_ are willing to pay.

Chris

Yes I agree. I was basically stating the NHLA grading standard for cherry which also applies to walnut regarding sap which is why I also stated "it just may not be desirable for your project."

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Since it has been planed, one thing to check is what the actual thickness is. If it is 1" thick you can clean up a slight cup and still get 3/4" finished boards out of it. If it is 13/16", the wood better be very flat if you want 3/4" material out of it.

Hey everyone interested,

I have emailed the guy a few times and am waiting to get some pictures of the thickness with a ruler and also a picture straight on the end grain to help see how flat it is.

Anyway I would be interested in 40-50 b/f of the 4"-6" wide boards since there not that desireable. I will circle the ones that I would like!:rotflm: I should have enough money since I have a buyer on the particle board Cedar Chest I recieved for the one I made back in June 2008. Yeah it's been a while. Finally getting rid of it for $110. I so thougt I would get more for it.

Here are some pic's I recieved

cherry5.JPG

Would like to get this grain of wood above!

cherry7.JPG

A few boards just like this one above:wink_smil

cherry8.JPG

Not interested in these ones. :rotflm:

Stuff he's made with it. I take it he used the best of the wood.

Hope these help out.

Not an expert on materials yet!:no:

Sincerely,

Last edited:

fdfrye

New User
Danny Frye
I am in winston and would snag 100-200 bd. ft. Let me know if you guys when the tally gets high enough and when/how we could divide stuff up. This guy will flip when 15 pickups show up and throw wads of cash at his feet.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
TOO LATE! I just bought it all!:gar-La; I am going to resell it for.................

:rotflm: just kidding:gar-La;

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Welp I haven't heard from the guy about the Cedar chest I posted, maybe I won't be able to get some. Welp I will have to try to sell something on ebay then, or maybe my converter boxes I got while in Okinawa? Hum Gotta find a way to raise some money!

Oh When will everyone be going to get this? incase I do get and extra $54-$67.5

Thanks,

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
I think (by rough estimate) that we have more than the 1250 claimed...I'd back out if it was at 13/16.

MrAudio815 - did you ever get a pict of the thickness? I just emailed him about it.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I think (by rough estimate) that we have more than the 1250 claimed...I'd back out if it was at 13/16.

MrAudio815 - did you ever get a pict of the thickness? I just emailed him about it.

Hey everyone.

I never got an email back with a picture of the thickness. Here is the last email he sent.

"Hello- OK, well, just let me know what you guys can come up with.
The wood has been planed to 4/4 exact, but some of it would still need to be planed further either to get it to 3/4, clean up some rough spots and/or get it a little flatter.
Overall most of the wood is fairly flat. The 4" pieces might have a few pieces with a bow in it, but at 13 feet long most of that is going to be cut in half at least anyway - by the time any of the wood is finish planed and dressed - should all be pretty flat.
I've used quite a bit of this lot before. Just don't forsee using it again anytime soon.
If I can get an end grain pic soon I will. If I can get to it. Pretty busy this week and weekend.

Oh yes, it is also way better wood than Wall lumber sells in their log runs - most of that turns out to be small and crappy. This stuff is pretty much choice once it is planed and dressed. This is the $5 a foot stuff, not the $2.80.
I go to Wall lumber too - he always has the best stuff and best prices, but he can't beat this just because I'm giving a deal.
My warehouse is actually right behind Clemmons hardwoods, but I won't do busines with them because Gene Isenhour is a jerk, to be quite frank. So I drive all the way to Mayodan when I need something. Steve will bend over backwards to help his customers.

OK, so let me know what you guys want to do and who I should talk to.
Thanks,
Cort"

If the guys close to him can check it out, measure the thickness, take some end grain photos to see it down the board to see how straight it is or not and post it here it should help us out. Oh By the way the man about the particle board cedar chest called back late last night and ended up buying it for $100 so I can get 40-50 board feet. I hope it's good. Oh and how are we going to get the money together for those of us that need the pony express?

Sincerly,

gdoebs

New User
Geoff
Since it's an inch thick, I'm still in.

Anybody have ideas on handling the cash issue? Maybe he has paypal?:gar-Bi Is he fixed on getting rid of it all at the same time? Or could people just go and get what they want when they can?

If I had $1700 laying around I'd just go get it.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I also got this email from him, he may take less if all was bought! But then again I don't know who made the offer and we could end up all missing out!

"Hi - Yes, I can send you the pics. I'll attach them to this email.
I'll also send you some pics of some items I made with the same wood.

I've had several replies, so let me know soon if you have interest. One offer was for the whole lot at a little lower price - not so sure about it, but at least I could move the wood out of my warehouse. Most of the other offers so far are for partial buys, but I'd really rather sell it as a whole lot.
Thanks,
Cort
336-240-0152"

Sincerely,

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I'm out. I just picked up a load of AD walnut a few minutes ago and blew my cash.

(pre-gloat warning...is it legal to post a pre-gloat??) :gar-La;

Chuck

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
If you guys work this out I am going to be mightily impressed.

I use to buy lumber with a friend and we worked out what we thought was a pretty good way to split it up. One of use would separate the wood in two stacks and the other guy would pick which stack he wanted.

Good luck! Would hate to lose some members over this ( some shot and some in jail):rotflm:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS