capacitor for motor in Raleigh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I have an old 1/2 HP Craftsman motor (113.12010 if that means anything to anyone) that needs a new starting capacitor. I would like to pick it up locally if I can.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
There is a Sears parts and surplus store on Six Forks near Atlantic. Try there.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
That location closed over a year ago. There is a new location on Old Wake Forest Road in the middle of restaurant row - in the same strip mall as JoAnn's fabric store if my memory is correct. Have not been there since the move, might be worth a call first.

Also, I would check out Motors & Controls off Capital on Hodges St.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
That location closed over a year ago. There is a new location on Old Wake Forest Road in the middle of restaurant row - in the same strip mall as JoAnn's fabric store if my memory is correct. Have not been there since the move, might be worth a call first.

Also, I would check out Motors & Controls off Capital on Hodges St.

Thanks Mark. Shows how often I get out.

gritz

New User
Robert
I had the same problem. I could not get parts from "we service what we sell," so I went to a small local motor re-wind shop and he was able to find one on an old motor and install if for me with great results, same day service for $65.

DaveD

New User
Dave
$65 to furnish and install a used capacitor on a motor?? WOW.

If you know what you want you can find new capacitors on EBAY real easy. Cheap too (less than $10 including shipping?). That's where I bought my start/run capacitors for my rotary phase converter.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
I agree with Joe. If the capicitor has the ratings on it and it should the folks at Grainger will help you get the right one.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
[SIZE=+1]Motors & Controls Inc[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1311 Hodges St[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Raleigh, NC 27604[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1](919) 828-1142‎
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
Or just about any HVAC supply house, should have a start cap for you. If you have the specs from the existing cap it would be easier.

Try:

Johnstone
United Refrigeration
CC Dickson

All are located in the Raleigh area, and I believe all sell to the public.

[/SIZE]

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
Andy - get the specs on the old cap...should be marked on the outside of the capacitor itself once you take off the housing.

If you need a 160-190 microFarad cap, I have a spare one NIB in my coat pocket.

-Mark

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
[SIZE=+1]Motors & Controls Inc[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1311 Hodges St[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Raleigh, NC 27604[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1](919) 828-1142‎[/SIZE]

That's where I went. I got the cap and a fan belt for under $9.

They tested my old one and told me it was below speck (should have been 185-250 on his meter and it was 177) but probably should work. I got a new one anyway, just in case. Sure enough, that wasn't it. I took the whole thing apart and cleaned it and putting it back together the second time (because it still wasn't working) I noticed one wire rubbed on the contact strip for starting, and they are stiff wires; it had been bent that way for years. That was it - now it fires right up.

Anyway, while this one experience isn't a lot to go on, I have to say it was very positive :icon_thum. A good price and an honest attempt to keep me from buying a part I didn't need (but did I listen? Nooo :BangHead:).

BTW, gloat coming soon. :gar-Bi I got a small saw I have been wanting for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS