Buying 1st dado blade, which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
i also have the Freud SD508 (8 inch). I use it on a Craftsman 22124 with the 1 3/4HP motor. The 8" stack has not been an issue as far as power to spin the blades and cut through oak and plywood. As mentioned, it cuts very nice flat bottom dado's. I picked mine up on Amazon last spring for about $130. That was a pretty good deal at the time. Most of the time they run about $199.

The only real issue I have encountered is that when I am setting up for a 3/4" stack, the arbor on my saw is just a tad short. Using the stock washer on the end of the arbor only allows me just enough room for the arbor nut. :BangHead: I think that the next time I use the set I will substitute the stock arbor washer with a fender washer and see how that works. With the arbor length being what it is on my saw, I am sure that a Dial-A-Dado would not work for me, but it sure sounds convenient.

Wayne

You do not need the washer when using a dado stack. The washer is to provide even support on both sides for saw blades. The multiple blades in the stack provide the same support. It is safer to get the nut fully on with at least two full threads showing than to use the washer.

Go

Charles M

New User
Charles
Confused about dado blades. Have never really used one and needing to cut dado's in a project I'm starting soon. Have a Delta/Rockwell 10" Contractor Saw and a DeWalt 9" RAS.
The brands I have been researching are Forrest Dado King and the Freud line-up (stack,safety and dial a width). Understand the stack concept to get the width needed in the dado cut, and the dial a width convenience. Don't understand the Safety Dado Set. And the big question is do I need a 10", 8" or a 6" and why one over the other.
And TS versus RAS when dadoing? What is the advantage of each?
Thanks in advance from a confused beginner!

The SD300 Series Safety Dado Sets have positive hook angles are best suited to solid wood. The veneers and laminates used today are thin and brittle so if you want a dado that will give good results in sheet goods you should opt for a negative hook set like the SD500 or SD600 series. The saw manufacturer will specify the maximum dado diameter and width for your saw and 8" is the largest for 10" saws. Even if you can use the 8" (which will cut 2" + deep) keep in mind that it requires 33% more torque to operate than a 6" (1" + depth of cut) of the same model.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
The Forrest 8" Dado King will be here tomorrow along with a Freud 6" Safety Dado. Got the Freud Box Joint set today. Refused delivery on the Forrest 10" Dado King after seeing on the Forrest site that it was not reccomended for a 10" Cabinet Saw. Toys, toys, toys!!!
Just finished before dark unloading a utility trailer full of Walnut and mahogany from the Sawmill Joe visit this morning. So, I'm spent for awhile! Play with these toys and keep working on my workshop. That is where my money should be going. If only I can get through Black Friday without buying anything, I think I finally have the basics I need to actually complete a project! Saw Joe's new sawmill and BIG Grizzly planer today. Now, that's real toys!

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
That sawmil is an awesome machine. I am gonna get him to cut 6 Poplar trees 2 oaks and 4 Hickorys. In all seriousness please let me know how you like the dados.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS