Buying 1st dado blade, which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Confused about dado blades. Have never really used one and needing to cut dado's in a project I'm starting soon. Have a Delta/Rockwell 10" Contractor Saw and a DeWalt 9" RAS.
The brands I have been researching are Forrest Dado King and the Freud line-up (stack,safety and dial a width). Understand the stack concept to get the width needed in the dado cut, and the dial a width convenience. Don't understand the Safety Dado Set. And the big question is do I need a 10", 8" or a 6" and why one over the other.
And TS versus RAS when dadoing? What is the advantage of each?
Thanks in advance from a confused beginner!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I have the Freud SD-208 (the 8" set, the SD-206 is the 6" set), which can be found for around $94, and have been very happy with its performance in my JET contractor's saw. I don't think I would like swinging that much metal around on a 9" RAS. Neither of your machines have the power to effectively swing a 10" dado cutter through much heavier material than thick cardstock when running full width, which doesn't matter, as a 10" dado set is really intended for a 12 or 14" table saw

M

McRabbet

The Forrest Dado King is one of the most expensive dado sets that money can buy and is no doubt an excellent choice for someone who can afford it and who will use it for production work. I have the Freud SD-508, their 8" Super Dado stack set (the 6" version is the SD-506), that I use on a 3 HP 10" cabinet saw (it is $170-199). It has multiple four tooth chippers plus four sizes of shims and allows very accurate setups out to 13/16" (I usually attain .001 to .003 wider than the thickness of the stock going into the dado). It cuts very flat bottomed dadoes and is so sharp that chip out on plywood veneers is minimal. I would not recommend the "Dial-A-Width" SD-606 or 608, because they may not provide as much dado width since the hub takes away some arbor space. For your saws, which have less horsepower, I'd recommend the SD-506 or the SD-206 6" dado sets. Remember that you usually don't need much more than 1/2 to 3/4" depth of cut for most dadoes, so the larger diameter is not critical (and you may lack sufficient HP to make a full cut on hardwoods). Remember that you will need to get a dado insert for your tablesaw. Although I have a 10" RAS, I never cut dadoes on it as my tablesaw is much more accurate. Hope this helps.

4yanks

New User
Willie
I have a freud sd508 and am very happy with it. You could use either saw with a dado head. For use with panels the TS has more capacity.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
No question in my mind ... it would be the Freud SD508 or the Ridge Carbide dado set. Personally, I own the Freud and it's pretty darn good.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Which one to get is dependant upon how much you can put into it IMO. As for size, I would recommend getting a 8" set. To me, 6" is too small and 10" is too big.

I have both a Forrest Dado King and an older Freud safety dado set. The Forrest cuts leaps and bounds cleaner than the Freud when making cross grain cuts in plywood. The down side to the Forrest is the price, definitively not cheap. As for the safety feature on the Freud, I can't say that it has done anything special for me. The one thing I would recommend is 4 wing chippers. They seem to keep the saw from working as hard.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Wayne,

I use an old 6" Craftsman set that I've had for years, I use it mostly on my RAS ( Craftsman 10") and I've had no problem with 3/4' wide x 3/8" dadoes in oak, ply or just about anything else. I'm sure the newer dadoes will work fine in the RAS, just go slow.

Good luck with your choice,

Jimmy:)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Wayne,

I have the Freud SD 508 and love it. It gives me very clean cuts with very flat bottoms. I agree with the idea of a 6" rather than an 8" if your saws have a bit less horsepower. For the most part, dadoes and rabbits don't go deeper than 3/4".

As to RAS versus TS, both have advantages; depends on what you are about to do. If you are making something like bookshelves with a load of dadoes to support the fixed shelves, the RAS is great. You can see your cut as the work is done on the top of the board. You can also use the RAS to cut across a side that is of just about any length (e.g., 8' tall bookcase).

If you need to run a rabbit down the length of a board, the table saw is the choice.

Ray

Badabing

New User
Joe
Thought I'd weigh in here with my own experience (as little as that is)...

I bought an Avenger 8 inch stack dado set online a few years ago (from Rockler, I think). At the time it was on sale for $30 wich was something like 1/2 price. It has round inside blades as opposed to winged ones, and it came with several metal shims too. I've used it with great success over the years on a Grizzly 10 inch contractor table saw (1.5 HP). I never cut deeper dados than 5/8 but they were always flat bottomed and smooth. Only complaint I have is that you cannot tell the width by adding the numbers of each blade together, you have to just stack them to get close and keep making test cuts. I'm told that the better dado sets are very accurate by the numbers on the blades when stacked up so you don't have to make as many test cuts. However, I don't cut many dados often so it's a non-issue for me. Besides, once I have the right combination of blades and shims for the size dado I need, I write it down on the case so I can repeat it anytime without testing!

I may invest in a better set some day but for what I do this is good enough. Grizzly has a very similar set for about $50 here. If you're a beginner and can't spend $200 or more on a dado set then this should do the trick.

Hope that helps!

SteveHall

Steve
Corporate Member
I have the Freud SD 208 and in hardwood and particle board (melamine) it does very well. In pine it tends to leave a very slight variation in the dado bottoms, although that might be because I go to fast. I use it on a 1-1/2 HP Delta contractor's saw and managed to get it for about $60 at the Rockler GSO closeout. I'd probably buy it again, although if I was a pro I would try to find a solution that avoids shims--mine sometimes get slightly mangled around the arbor and make it hard to get them and the blades off.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
i also have the Freud SD508 (8 inch). I use it on a Craftsman 22124 with the 1 3/4HP motor. The 8" stack has not been an issue as far as power to spin the blades and cut through oak and plywood. As mentioned, it cuts very nice flat bottom dado's. I picked mine up on Amazon last spring for about $130. That was a pretty good deal at the time. Most of the time they run about $199.

The only real issue I have encountered is that when I am setting up for a 3/4" stack, the arbor on my saw is just a tad short. Using the stock washer on the end of the arbor only allows me just enough room for the arbor nut. :BangHead: I think that the next time I use the set I will substitute the stock arbor washer with a fender washer and see how that works. With the arbor length being what it is on my saw, I am sure that a Dial-A-Dado would not work for me, but it sure sounds convenient.

Wayne

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Wayne,

I have the Freud SD 508 and love it. It gives me very clean cuts with very flat bottoms. I agree with the idea of a 6" rather than an 8" if your saws have a bit less horsepower. For the most part, dadoes and rabbits don't go deeper than 3/4".

As to RAS versus TS, both have advantages; depends on what you are about to do. If you are making something like bookshelves with a load of dadoes to support the fixed shelves, the RAS is great. You can see your cut as the work is done on the top of the board. You can also use the RAS to cut across a side that is of just about any length (e.g., 8' tall bookcase).

If you need to run a rabbit down the length of a board, the table saw is the choice.

Ray

Ray,

I have to agree with you about running rabbets on a TS, I even prefer that over using my jointer. As far as using a dial in dado (wooble style), I haven't had good luck with them giving me flat bottoms, But I have one that I still use for hogging off wood on rough construction projects.

Jimmy:)

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Great reply's! Thanks so much! Here's what I have done!
Purchased the 10" Forrest Dado King with Dremel tool for $136.63. Well, good deal but now I know that I can't use a 10". Have a friend with a PM2000 that wants it when it gets here. He feels he can run it on his cabinet saw. And the price was great!
Purchased a 8" Forrest Dado King Dado King and Dremel engraver for $169.83. I'll try this one on my contractor saw.
Purchased a Freud 6" Safety Dado SD306 with Dremel Engraver for $99.88 for my RAS.
Hate those Amazon sales! I always go hog wild! Got my first delivery just a few minutes ago! Some good deals, but I'm going broke saving money.
Well, lets go put together a Jet Mini Lathe Stand! Yeah, and does anyone want to buy a Dremel Engraver cheap? I think I have about 10 so far. I guess every male in my family will be getting one for Christmas stocking stuffers!

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Great reply's! Thanks so much! Here's what I have done!
Purchased the 10" Forrest Dado King with Dremel tool for $136.63. Well, good deal but now I know that I can't use a 10". Have a friend with a PM2000 that wants it when it gets here. He feels he can run it on his cabinet saw. And the price was great!
Purchased a 8" Forrest Dado King Dado King and Dremel engraver for $169.83. I'll try this one on my contractor saw.
Purchased a Freud 6" Safety Dado SD306 with Dremel Engraver for $99.88 for my RAS.
Hate those Amazon sales! I always go hog wild! Got my first delivery just a few minutes ago! Some good deals, but I'm going broke saving money.
Well, lets go put together a Jet Mini Lathe Stand! Yeah, and does anyone want to buy a Dremel Engraver cheap? I think I have about 10 so far. I guess every male in my family will be getting one for Christmas stocking stuffers!

Wayne,

You SAY you just took delivery... but... there's no photo... (did it really happen?)

Ray

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Well already ripping open packages, but here is where I am so far. And have deliveries for Tues and Wed also for the rest! Seems like an early Christmas! And I'm a 51 year old kid!

IMGP0039.jpg
IMGP0040-1.jpg

Jon

New User
Jon Todd
Give us a reveiw on the forest dado king. Is Joe buying the 10 inch?

Oh and you suck. Looks like you got some good toys.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Yes, Sawmill Joe said he wants the 10" Forest Dado King. If he decides otherwise, I'm returning it to Amazon or if anyone here wants it, they can have it for what I paid and actual shipping. Picking up some walnut and mahogany sometime tomorrow from Sawmill Joe,the blade is scheduled for delivery tomorrow also, so I'll pick up the wood then.
Almost forgot, picked up my free 3n1 Kobalt screwdriver today while I was picking up some odds and ends for the 4 HO Flourescent lights I'm hanging in the workshop (garage). I'll never get all that work done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS