Brown Malee Burl Navigator

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I turned this tonight. It is going to be a Christmas present for my brother.

IMG_1225_web.jpg

IMG_1228_Web.jpg

NCTurner

Gary
Corporate Member
:thumbs_up
Very nice, I am sure he will love it!!! I like the satin finish, what did you use?

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
:thumbs_up
Very nice, I am sure he will love it!!! I like the satin finish, what did you use?

Ha.. It wasn't supposed to be satin, but I am glad it came out that way. It is actually a CA finish. It shines a little better than the picture shows but is not nearly as deep and wet as some of the finishes I have done. I am not sure if it is the wood or if the weather affected the finish. I tried a different approach to finishing tonight and I think that might have affected it who knows.

I ended up liking the way it turned out, so thanks. :) There are 4 coats of CA on that I sanded up to 800 and then MicroMeshed to 12000 and didn't sand between any of the coats of CA so that might be my issue there.

I really need to get some Ren. Wax and apply that afterwards and see how that helps things.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Good going Kevin. The satin finish work well with that wood and style. Never admit it was not designed to come out that way.:wink_smil

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Nice pen there Kevin- :icon_thum What ever you did with the finish make sure you write it down so that you can do more just like it- it looks great

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Nice pen there Kevin- :icon_thum What ever you did with the finish make sure you write it down so that you can do more just like it- it looks great

Here is what I did to get that finish.

Thanks for the compliments on it. I actually think it turned out pretty good now.

Once I finished turning I applied a slight amount of BLO just trying to see what the burl was going to look like. I then sanded 120, 240, 320, 400, 800, 1500 then applied another light coat of BLO, from there I MicroMeshed to 12000. After that I applied another light coat of BLO then applied 3 drops of Medium CA then 2 drops right after that. Once that was cured I repeated the same process 3 more times. I fold up my paper towel into a little square and use all four ends and then I am done. I didn't micromesh in between coats and I think that is really what caused it not to come out shiny. I am going to give it another try tonight or this weekend. I will let you know. I like having a satin finish on some of the pen. I am also wondering if the small amount of BLO/CA I am using helps create that satin look.

I looked at a video last night of someone putting on a CA finish and he was using ALOT of BLO and CA way more than I am.

Who knows. If you try this process let me know how it works. If I remember that I did anything else I will add it to the thread but off the top of my head that is what I did.

I am also going to try the same thing and MM from 4000 - 12000 between coats and see what that does.

If I can repeat this I will do a How to for the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS