Bob's Oak Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Here's a shot of the 5' oak table top and Lazy Susan Tom and I built for his Uncle Bob.

The top and Lazy Susan are made from locally sawn white oak boards that we planed to a uniform 3/4". The boards were all 6" in width. We used a reverse glue joint bit to joint the boards and Tite Bond II as the adhesive.

The pedestal was ordered from an online source. Finish was done by a friend of Bob's and he really did a nice job. Thanks for looking.

MikeH

New User
Mike
Reggie,
That is awesome!!!! :icon_thum The finish looks amazing and I love the feet.

DavidF

New User
David
Nice Job! Now if you could make the small top stay still and the large one rotate it would be great for Sushi:lol::eusa_clap

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Reggie, you ain't getting off that easy. You asked enough questions about this table while you were working on it. We need more details. How did you mount the table to the pedestal? Is the pedestal White Oak also, and where did you get it? How did the reverse glue joint bit work and did it really help with the alignment? Where did you get the lazy-susan mech. and how did you mount it?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Because that is a fine looking table. Y'all done real good :icon_thum
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Reggie, you ain't getting off that easy. You asked enough questions about this table while you were working on it. We need more details. How did you mount the table to the pedestal? Is the pedestal White Oak also, and where did you get it? How did the reverse glue joint bit work and did it really help with the alignment? Where did you get the lazy-susan mech. and how did you mount it?

Inquiring minds want to know.
Because that is a fine looking table. Y'all done real good :icon_thum
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dave:)

Dave: I KNEW I'd hear from you!!! And thanks for the look!

The pedestal is red oak from VanDykes Restorations. (The first one arrived broken, and they took great care of us and shipped out another one asap.) The feet are also red oak. We were concerned that the white oak top and red oak base and feet might be hard to match up in the finish department, but the gent who did the finish work made the whole thing blend and look great!:-D:-D

The reverse glue joint bit couldn't have worked better for this particular project. A WW friend of mine from Mt. Airy came down and showed us how to set up the router for the glue joint operation, including using a feather board to keep everything flat to the table. I was amazed at the final result. There was very little sanding necessary to make the top flat. Probably less than 30 minutes total with a belt sander and the joints were almost invisible. (Think we got lucky on this one) ;-);-) The finisher did a little fine sanding, but not a lot.

The top is mounted to the pedestal by running two boards across the under side, perpindicular to the joints to give strength to the overall top assembly. We just screwed the boards to the top in each board, and it worked out OK. (However, we are considering mounting the top on rails later to give it a little more overall height. Scott Smith sent me some good pics of his table, and I have one also, so we may change that after Christmas.)

For now, the client, (Tom's Uncle Bob) is tickled pink with the table, and Christmas dinner will be eaten off it this year!! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc

Thanks again to all who responded to all my questions. You're the best bunch of "free advisers" anywhere! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS