Blanket chest finally finished

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
This was supposed to be a Christmas present for my wife, but it got delayed just a bit. The frame and lid are sapele, the panels flamed makore veneer, all finished with shellac and wipe on poly. As a beginner, I learned a lot about fit and finish on this.

DSC019931.JPG

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That doesn't look like beginner stuff! Can't you post more than one pic? Maybe one with the top opened? One in good lighting?

The joinery and finish look very nice. :cool: I'd like to see the grain and color a little better.

Great looking piece. :icon_thum

Chuck

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work, Dan!!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

I am quite sure that it will be cherished for a long time to come.

Thanks for sharing the picture.

Wayne

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
>> all finished with shellac and wipe on poly

Very nice job but I hope you did not use "poly" on the inside of the chest. Oil based finishes off-gas forever and the odor permeates any cloth or clothing that will be stored inside. Insides of chests or other enclosures that will contain cloth items should either be unfinished or finished with shellac or a waterborne finish.

Dan Bowman

New User
Dan Bowman
These pictures are in better light and more representative of the color. The flamed makore veneer is from an eBay vendor, rfritz, and is beautiful. He generally has very nice material. The sapele is also from an eBay seller, "Exotic woods of the world", and was very reasonable even with shipping. I used a torsion hinge from Rockler which keeps the lid open without any propping. One thing I'd do differently - cut the finger slot on the lower lip, not the lid.

DSC019941.JPG

DSC019981.JPG

DSC01999.JPG

DSC020011.JPG

jlwest

Jeff
Corporate Member
Excellant job. Where did you get those hinges? I really like how the panels match inside and out.

Jeff :icon_cheers:icon_cheers:icon_cheers

fergy

New User
Fergy
What did you use as a substate for the veneer prior to turning it into a raised panel? I assume you can see the grain from the substrate around the edges.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Dan, you are a beginner only when you use pine for all your projects. :gar-Bi The fit and finish look terrific. :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS