Blank Casting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scwood

New User
BigJoe
I'm just curious if anyone here has made their own snakeskin blanks? I have been reading up on the subject and the only problem I can see is air bubbles if you dont degas the mix with a vacuum pump.I really dont want to invest in a vacuum system.If anyone here has any input or words of wisdom I would be very appreciative.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
If you don't want to invest in a vacuum I have had success with vibrating the heck out of them with a palm sander. That typically will pull any bubbles towards one side of the cast and far enough down that they are turned off in the first few turns.

DavidF

New User
David
I have used the Mirror coat product from Systemthree.com with great results. The secret is to pour in 1/4" layers, wait a few minutes then run a small blow torch over the surface, this pops all the bubbles and you end up with a super clear layer, add another layer and repeat it is best to leave the layers for a few hours between each one. I have built up to 2" using this method. With a pen blank 2 layers would be fine.

fergy

New User
Fergy
I use this rudimentary technique when I have to degas glue mixtures: Attach your casting mold to a piece of rope or heavy string about 4' long. Once you pour, whirl it overhead for a couple of minutes, as hard as you can. The centrifugal force will work out the bubbles.

Scwood

New User
BigJoe
Thanks for the input yall.Im gonna start this spring as soon as the snakes start to crawl again.I plan on taking pics from the kill to the final product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS