Blade height on table saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I'd appreciate your thoughts on the correct height to set the blade on a table saw, specifically, recommendations on how high above the stock being cut do you run the blade?

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I'd appreciate your thoughts on the correct height to set the blade on a table saw, specifically, recommendations on how high above the stock being cut do you run the blade?
I think every blade manufacturer has their own recommendations. And they depend of the blade. Tooth set and angle, etc. However, I'm been told that a general rule of thumb is 3 teeth showing. This seems to work for me.

I'll bet charles CharlesM has some good info on this

Charles M

New User
Charles

When using the correct Freud blade for the application we recommend 1/2 of the carbide tip above the material. They are designed for proper angle of attack and number of teeth working at that height. For tricky materials like veneered plywood or laminate you may need to vary a little to get the best performance (raise the blade slightly if you get chipping on top and lower if there is chipping on bottom). As Steve said, different manufacturers may have other recommendations for their blades.

zimman20

New User
Rich Zimmerman
When using the correct Freud blade for the application we recommend 1/2 of the carbide tip above the material. They are designed for proper angle of attack and number of teeth working at that height. For tricky materials like veneered plywood or laminate you may need to vary a little to get the best performance (raise the blade slightly if you get chipping on top and lower if there is chipping on bottom). As Steve said, different manufacturers may have other recommendations for their blades.

Charles - by '1/2 of the tip' does that mean 1/2 of the tips of both of the outermost teeth on the blade? Or the uppermost one tooth (center) of the blade?

Charles M

New User
Charles
Rich,

That's 1/2 of the single tip that is the highest but you don't have to be deadly accurate with the initial setting. It's just a guideline to set it by and may need to be adjusted slightly for best results.

RobD

New User
Rob
Let me preface this by saying I about as far from an expert as you can get but something I read somewhere seemed to make a lot of sense.

The author recommended you set the blade height so that the blade just barely cuts through the wood. Then if you do have an accident and your hand ends up hitting the blade, the damage caused is minimized because you can only be cut as deep as the amount of blade that is above the wood.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
I don't know if I use exactly half a carbide tooth showing but very close to that.

I will only add that I have noticed ripping thin stock (<3/8 inch) that if the blade is set as low as recommended (1/2 of the carbide showing) the wood has a tendency to lift/float as it passes the blade. This is particularly true when ripping 1/4 ply. I raise the blade a little bit more on thin stock.

Chuck

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I agree with Charles, but remember Kelly Mehler saying, "Have as much of the blade above the wood as you want to cut your hand if it slips." I really don't think it is practical to have none of the blade showing, but this would be safest.

dtomasch

New User
David
I had this discussion last week with woodguy. I have always gone for the "leave as much out as you want to get cut by" method. WG goes with the bottom of the gullet to remove dust and prevent heat and thus burning on edges of cuts. I'm not sure though. I think I like the middle ground. Just my

J

jeff...

After cutting the tip of my thumb off a few years ago - I only got about 1/2 the tip showing abouve the board. It seems to work well on thin stock (1" and less). for thicker stock (1" ++), I'll jack the blade up till ~ 1/2 the gullet is showing and that seems to work well too. Just be careful, my tumb grew back , including my thumb nail it amazed my doctor to say te least... Only problem I have with it is, theres really no feeling in it so I have to be carful I dont whack it with a hammer :drunken_s Safty first and don't reach around that blade.

thrt15nc

New User
Tom
I agree John. Great short discussion on this. It seems I forget to think about the height setting. Thanks for the comments.

Tom

Tom Dunn

New User
Tom Dunn
I used to work for a contractor. He would gripe continually if I ran the saw blade low. "Waste of time that I'm paying you for"(referring to the time it took to crank it down). Told him to either deal with it or hand me my final check. The guy thought NOTHING of leaving the blade all the way up, and was fond on the "two finger push" between the blade and the fence when ripping. I could't even watch him run the saw, I'm too squeamish......

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Great discussion. I never gave it much thought, just made sure i had enough blade to cut but not too much. Thanks for the information.

Charles M

New User
Charles
Tom,

I believe that the "gullet above the wood" rule came from the misconception that the chips would clear more easily. The problem with this is that chips are primarily ejected inside the saw after the cut. If some chips make it the full revolution to eject above the material it is likely the gullets are too small (or improperly designed) so the blade is not correct for the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS