Beginning Carver Question ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
This past weekend my 12 yo grandson spent some time in the shop w/ me. He said he wanted to try something different: Carving! So I gathered up what few tools I have that vaguely resemble carving chisels, and put him at the bench w/ some scrap material (poplar and MDF). I told him what little bit I know about carving (very little), and turned him loose. Low and behold, he likes it. :icon_cheers

And that leads to my question for you experienced carvers: What one book would you recommend for a 12 yo who wants to teach himself to carve? I offered to help him find a course he could take, but he'd rather have a good book. He's an avid reader, and learns best by reading about something, then practicing what he's read. Later on, if he stays interested and progresses, I'll try to get him to take a course. That's when I'll come back to this forum for more advice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bill

Bugle

Preston
Corporate Member
I know it's not a book, but this web site has very good basic information. http://carvingpatterns.com/ The tutorials are pretty good and don't get to complicated. I would recommend that you go to the local hobby shop (Michael's or A.C. Moore) and pick him up some basswood for practice. It's very soft and easy to carve. I'm encouraged that there are young people out there who show an interest in woodworking....there is hope!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I think starting out, he would be better off learning to do one thing well instead of trying to go in too many directions (which is what I do :) ). If he wants to do wood spirits, get him a wood spirit book. Or a caricature book if that is his leaning. Or whittling. Or... you get the idea.

You might let him browse here:
http://www.foxchapelpublishing.com/c-7-woodcarving.aspx

and see what interests him.

sbarnhardt

New User
Barney
I have some extra copies of Carving magazines that I can send him some of if you think he'd like them. Let me know?

:wsmile:

CarvedTones

Andy
Oh yeah - get him a glove. Since you don't carve, I will give you the full explanation - it is for the "other" (non dominant) hand and the best ones are Kevlar. It does not change the rules about carving toward your hand or body; it reduces the chances and probably the extent of any injuries. Here is one on eBay.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Wow, you gotta love this site. I ask for help and the response is overwhelming. Thank You All! :notworthy: I've bookmarked the sites you recommended, and looked at some of the books they suggest. I'm planning on going to the Woodworking Show in Charlotte later this month and will look for a book there. I know several of the vendors had books last time I went.

Barney, I've sent a PM in response to your offer of extra carving magazines: Thank You. Mike, if you have any books you think would be appropriate for a beginning carver, please bring them Saturday. I appreciate it, and he'll take good care of them and return them to you. Skeeter, I don't know if there is a carving club in the area; I'll have to find out. I agree he would benefit from hands-on training, but he wants to start out by teaching himself before he goes that route. His call! I tried to teach myself golf once, and you can guess where that got me. :rotflm: Andy, I suspect eventually he will settle on one type of carving, but right now he doesn't know enough to make that determination (and I'm certainly no help when it comes to carving). So at this point we're just looking for a basic instruction book that will get him started. As Bugle said, I'm just glad he is showing an interest in woodworking. :wsmile: Of course, if he gets really interested, I suppose I'll have to get him some carving tools. They're cheap, right. :wwink:

Thanks again everyone; I really, really appreciate it.

Bill

CarvedTones

Andy
Of course, if he gets really interested, I suppose I'll have to get him some carving tools. They're cheap, right. :wwink:

I am surprised one of the vendors doesn't offer a free detail knife and block of basswood; you know - just a "little taste" to get you started. Then you will need a full set of Pfiel gouges, a carving vise (wait until you see how much a single "screw" is), sharpening supplies....

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I looked last night and I thought I had more carving books than I found.

The two I have are old style and may not excite a young person. They do have a lot of good information and lots of drawings and examples of different styles. But they are hard reading.

I'll bring them and let him take a look. If he likes either one he can have it. I doubt any of my kids will ever be interested.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I am surprised one of the vendors doesn't offer a free detail knife and block of basswood; you know - just a "little taste" to get you started. Then you will need a full set of Pfiel gouges, a carving vise (wait until you see how much a single "screw" is), sharpening supplies....

Gee, . . . . Thanks Andy. :gar-La;

Bill

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I looked last night and I thought I had more carving books than I found.

The two I have are old style and may not excite a young person. They do have a lot of good information and lots of drawings and examples of different styles. But they are hard reading.

I'll bring them and let him take a look. If he likes either one he can have it. I doubt any of my kids will ever be interested.

Thanks Mike. He's only 12 but he reads at a HS level (must have gotten that from his grandmother). I'll let him see if he likes them.

Bill

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Bill,

You might want to explore soap carving. This is safer than basswood and if he becomes more interested, he can move up to basswood. The tools that he could use for the soap carving would be clay tools. A set can be pickup at the local craft store for about $10. Shavings can be molded and used for cleaning. There are plenty of resources on the internet as well as several books available. Amazon.com has a soap carving kit for about $19, see link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Smoky-Mountain-Woodcarvers-Soap-Carving/dp/B0006GT3G0

Also, some basic tools could be made from popsicle sticks. I look forward to seeing some of his masterpieces.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Bill,

You might want to explore soap carving. This is safer than basswood and if he becomes more interested, he can move up to basswood. The tools that he could use for the soap carving would be clay tools. A set can be pickup at the local craft store for about $10. Shavings can be molded and used for cleaning. There are plenty of resources on the internet as well as several books available. Amazon.com has a soap carving kit for about $19, see link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Smoky-Mountain-Woodcarvers-Soap-Carving/dp/B0006GT3G0

Also, some basic tools could be made from popsicle sticks. I look forward to seeing some of his masterpieces.

Wow, this brings back memories from 60 years ago! I really had forgotten about this..

bobby g

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Is he making shavings yet?

Nope, not yet. I was busy w/ something else Saturday, then he got sick Sunday through yesterday and didn't make it to the shop or to school. Hopefully, he will make it over this weekend and try some new skills. :icon_cheers

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS