Backbench progress *Many pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I got started on the backbench for my shop this week. Hopefully it won't be too long before I can finally take stuff out of boxes and put them away and get more organized. I designed the bench to have 9 equal sized (28" wide) sections so I have a limited number of face frame and door parts to make. One section will have three drawers as pictured, while the others sections will have a drawer over cabinet. The upper cabinets will be a mix of open shelves, cabinets with glass doors, and a set of tool bins on the left. The tool bins on the upper left are intended to hold power hand tools and will hopefully have small drawers below each bin that will hold tools, wrenches, sanding disks, etc. specific to that tool. These small drawers are not shown in the computer rendition. The Sliding Compund Miter Saw installation is not pictured either. A 6" DC port with blast gate comes through the floor into the sixth module. The farthest left lower cabinet will hold a shopvac which will be piped to the bench and to a floor port under the assembly table for dust collection from biscuit jointer, sanders, etc. ; it will include a mini cyclone also. The rendering doesn't quite represent the appearance I am going for. I hope it will look like the Arts & Crafts kitchen cabinets pictured in the latest issue of Fine Woodworking.

011185038_01_md.jpg

My 3D rendering:
Backbench-A.jpg

Dimension rendering:
Backbench-B.jpg

I used a simple 3/4" ply platform frame. (vertical pipe is shop compressed air):
Backbench-1.JPG

The bottom shelf is 3/4" melamine particle board just biscuited together:
Backbench-2.JPG

I cut shallow dados in the bottom shelf to hold the melamine partitions. The dados fall directly over the platform ribs so they don't weaken the shelf. The round hole is for the DC pipe for the SCMS:
Backbench-3.JPG

I used a router and a simple jig to cut the dados. The dados are 1/2' wide. The 3/4" partitions have shoulders rabbeted on the bottom edges so that there is no melamine in the glue area of the dado:
Backbench-4.JPG

Here are the partitions glued into the dados and temporarily braced. Since I did not have to make the cabinets in one place and install them elsewhere, I am just making one big unit. Leveling wedges are also visible in this pic. While checking plumb of the platform and partitions, I discovered that the back wall of my shop is not plumb- out by 1/4 bubble!!:
Backbench-5.JPG

Spacer blocks mostly done:
Backbench-6.JPG

A piece of ply temporarily sitting on the frame. The top will likely be 3/4" oak over 3/4" ply:
Backbench-7.JPG

That's it for today.

Last edited:

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
That's it????!! Slacker. We expect you to have all the doors glued up tomorrow, buster! :lol:

Getting that much done, I think once your shop is ready, you will be a major rival for DaveO for the title of 'speedy project finisher'!:lol:

dtomasch

New User
David
wow
I wish my kitchen was as nice. No, I take that back, forget the kitchen, I wish my shop was that nice. Looks great

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow, that is going to be one very nice backbench Alan with plenty of storage. I like the bin layout you are going to use for your hand held tools. It looks like you gave plenty of thought to your shop layout well before you started the initial construction phase.

D L

stoneskippers

New User
John Skipper
It looks like a lot of thought and planning is coming through with good looking job. Keep us informed. Good work.

Monty

New User
Monty
Wow - that's going to be really nice! Of course, you NEED nice looking cabinets to go with that great shop door of yours!

M

McRabbet

Alan -- an awesome plan and amazing progress for your "modest" back wall -- I like the nice renderings you've done, but 21' long? You'll drive the price of sheet goods up in the eastern part of the state! Just kidding -- it is going to be a marvelous addition to a superb shop and we are all jealous! I'm just hoping I can find the funds to buy 4 sheets of plywood for a mitersaw station!

Rob

sapwood

New User
Roger
Alan,

Progress may be an understatement. I think you've hit Mach 2 :-D

And I appreciate the modeling, pixs, and textual explanation. It's a big help to someone like myself that has never seen the cabinet building process. :icon_thum

Roger

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
sapwood said:
Alan,

Progress may be an understatement. I think you've hit Mach 2 :-D

And I appreciate the modeling, pixs, and textual explanation. It's a big help to someone like myself that has never seen the cabinet building process. :icon_thum

Roger
Not sure you'll learn the "right" things by following my version of cabinet building. :lol::lol::lol: I've only built a few cabinets before, each time a little differently. I certainly wouldn't do it this way if I were doing a kitchen or other habitable space, but for a shop, it works. Part of the reason I am doing certain things is to experiment with different techniques, learn how to use my tools, and to improve my skills. Some of what I do doesn't hold up too well to close examination either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS