Antler Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
I have seen pictures of antler pen turnings and was never really excited about them. I also heard the process was a little objectionable to the olfactory :lol: so I didn't have a lot of interest. With Christmas coming up, however, I thought I would try to make my bil a pen. He is a big hunter, so I had to try the antler/shell casing combo. Pictures really do not do the antler pens justice. It really makes nice pens. I made the first pen for my BIL and the second pen for the friend who gave me the antler. :)

Mathes_067.jpg

Mathes_051.jpg

I really liked the way the second one turned. I wanted part of it to remain a little natural at the top and it turned out nicer than I thought it would.

Thanks for looking,
Chris

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Chris, those are awesome. Any secrets about using the shell casing? Type, caliber, spent or live :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

skeeter

New User
Charles
Chris, the pens are awesome!! The antler pen is really good but I've never seen one with ammo before. That is a great idea. Good job on both!!

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Those are AWESOME. I have the same questions as Dave " Any secrets about using the shell casing?"

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Thanks, all! I appreciate the enthusiasm, especially since it was something new for me. Since there is some interest, I will try to throw out what I learned with this project....I'm sorry for the rambling that is about to happen :lol:

I would love to take credit for the antler/rifle ammo casing combo, but it's someone else's clever idea. Since the consistency and curve of the antler varies, I probably spent the most time trying to decide on what parts of the rack would make the nicest pen. Obviously, the thicker antler has the thicker marrow, so I don't think that will work well on a slimline. I used the lower part of the antler (closest to the skull) for the cigar pen. I offset the drilled hole by a little in order to leave some of the natural 'bark' look to the side of the pen. I tried to be careful, though, to minimize the amount of marrow that would be exposed at the top where the pen tapers.

For the cartridge pen, the following are the steps I took. I'm not sure if it's the best way, but I'm happy with the results. First, I cut the pieces of antler at the bandsaw as I felt I had the most control and would minimize waste and possible chipping there. The bandsaw went through the antler very easily. Then, I put the antler pieces in a wood clamp and spent a lot of extra time making sure that the piece was positioned correctly. This is important since the piece has extreme changes in thickness/shape/curve even in these little pieces. Once I was certain that the antler would not blow out one of the sides, I drilled using the standard slimline 7mm bit. I then glued in my brass tube for the pen.

I used a 30 06 shell casing as I believe that matches best to the slimline kit. I think there are a lot of variations(different shell casing types) you can use, but this combo seems to be the most standard. I drilled a 7MM hole in the butt of the casing, doing my best to get it EXACTLY centered...that's very important as there's no making up for off center holes since you are not turning the casing. I then put superglue on either end of the brass tube and put it into the casing (I had to use a long 7 mm tube for this.)

I loaded the casing on the pen mandrel 1st with the 'bullet end' facing the headstock. This type of slimline will not be the 'standard' as the middle will not be turned down as thin and I was not using a centerband. So, the butt of the casing becomes my bushing to give me the sizing for antler at the middle of the pen. I then put a slimline bushing on the other side of the antler to size the top of the pen.

With freshly sharpened tools (as I understand is a requirement :) ) I turned the antler. I was careful to have the windows of the shop open and the dust collection on. The smell was not overly bad, but I didn't really want to breathe in the dust and wanted to minimize any potential smell. The tools seemed to dull fairly quickly and the antler does not exactly cut into 'ribbons' like a nice piece of maple will. I was, however, easily able to get a really nice finish on it from just a skew chisel.

After using the skew, I went ahead and applied a coat of thin CA because I had read the sanding dust will fill the pores ,showing up as black dots all over the white antler. After filling the pores with CA, I went through a quick sanding regiment and then applied a normal CA finish.

For the rifle casing, I have read that many turners use a clear powder coating to protect the brass and keep it shiny. I have not attempted powder coating....yet :roll: ... so I actually used micromesh on the brass to shine it up and then tried a CA finish. It looked HORRIBLE :-( so I sanded it off and went through the mm again. I just used a wax finish to try to protect it and pulled it off of the lathe.

I used the copper slimline kit as the copper nib looks like a real bullet. IMHO, that adds a big cool factor :) I put the pen together as normal, ommitting the centerband. With the long casing, I had to press the pen internals further into the lower part of the pen than I do with a typical slimline.

In retrospect, there are two things that I need to learn. The most important is finding a way to support the cartridge when drilling. I used a clamp and the cartridge started spinning. To keep it from spinning and actually get a hole in it, I had to tighted the vice to the point that it crimped the casing. The other learning opportunity is to improve upon the finish for the casing. It did not take long at all for the oil from my hand to wear through the wax and begin to tarnish the casing. Overall, however, I was suprised at how easy it was and how nice the pen turned out.

***A special thanks to Woodguy for the head start with the 'sample' casing!!!!

Cheers and good luck!
Chris

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Both pens are great.
The casing pens sell well because of their novelty.
If you were to sell the cigar, don't let it go for less than $150.00.To repeatedly turn one withthat much bark on a pen the size of a cigar is not easy.The right antler must be used and there is a little luck involved.( a prayer to a higher power can't hurt either)
That is by far the best looking antler cigar with "bark"I have seen.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
Wow, Eagle. That's a huge compliment to me as I'm a big fan of your work. You made my day. I actually gave the pen as a gift. I was really suprised by the way the pen turned out, which made it hard to give away, but the recipient is well deserving. He has done a lot to help me....

Cheers,
Chris

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
Wow, Eagle. That's a huge compliment to me as I'm a big fan of your work. You made my day. I actually gave the pen as a gift. I was really suprised by the way the pen turned out, which made it hard to give away, but the recipient is well deserving. He has done a lot to help me....

Cheers,
Chris
O,K can you duplicate the result?
WOrking with "natural materials such as antler requires skill experience and a little luck in my NSHO.
It takes experience to find just the right piece of antler that will turn down like that,Not all antler will produce a pen such as the one yu posted.
Can you select the right piece of antler that will allow you to make the next one?
A few suggestions.
Buy at least one kit with the better platings such as TN,platinum,rhodium for situations like this, When the special one comes along you will know which kit to put it in.
The second is sort of a critique.
In the future learn to follow the contours of the nib and finial in the shape of the pen.
The cigar kit makes a large pen to begin with.By enlarging the lower section and making it the over done corset waist that is seen so much on slimlines you are drawing the viewers eye away from what I view the most important part of that pen.The bark.It is still a gorgeous pen
By the way, The smell? I don't have that problem with antler or CA fumes.Get a DC boot somewhere near your lathe. It will help when sanding.It isn't what you see that gets you.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
OK...good points. The first thing I plan to do is to measure the outside diameter of the spot where I took the antler. At least I know I will be in the ballpark for the correct sizing then. After that, then it will be a lot of help from above and the little I bring to the table to try to make a similar one. I really like your ideas for the nicer kits. What kits do you use in that type of situation? are you talking about the standard kits from Woodcraft/Arizona S./etc that are like $8-10...or are there nicer kits than those that you use?

On the critique (feel free to do this as much as you want on my work...I want to get better!)...I see your point on the eye being drawn away from the top. I have made cigar pens in the past and always felt that the bottom needed to be rounded at the top to match the 'bead' of the hardware at the center (where the bottom meets it). So, that was my first attempt at it and I should have just left the bottom a normal thickness, but 'curved' it in at the top.

So...from your perspective, do you think the other three connection points (where the antler meets the hdware) are along the correct angle/proportion/etc.?

...thanks again for your advice!
Chris

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
To me shape needs to be comfortable to write with but if the shape is not pleasing to the eye it may turn people off.
This is a cigar I made out of olive wood.Disregard the inlay just note the general shape.Normally the lower end of this style of pen is smaller in dia and has a taper to the nib with no abrupt changes.
The concept is the same, you want the viewer to notice the inlay and not be distracted by the shape.I guess the word "flow" can be uesd to describe what I am tring to say.
200611141323_olive%20wood%20inlay.jpg

This is up to personal speculation and I am by no means an expert.
If I was I would be richer than I am.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
:-x UGH! That stinks! So, from the looks of it, you had drilled those out successfully, but they blew up while turning...

Eaglesc

New User
Eagle
"UGH! That stinks! So, from the looks of it, you had drilled those out successfully, but they blew up while turning..."

No, note there ar no tubes visable,
'Those were blown out while drilling.
The difficulty in getting the bark on a cigar pen is the size of the hole necessasry for the tubes.

ChrisMathes

New User
Chris Mathes
I did notice that, but...ah...nevermind...I see what you are doing...I went about it a little differently....hmm...I have to get some more antler to experiment with :eusa_thin

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors