Another Small Tool Gloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I am on a roll. UPS just dropped off my new PC Variable Speed ROS.

I may have to take the day off tomorrow so I can play with my new toys. :eusa_danc

PC_Sander_001_1024x768_.JPG

PC_Sander_002_1024x768_.JPG

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice, Mark!!!:eusa_danc

I have had my eyes on that one for about six months, but haven't jumped yet.

Would you mind doing a little review for us here at the site? I would be very interested in how it performs and how effective the dust collection cannister works. (My old Craftsman ROS clouds my face so much, I can hardly see where I'm going!:BangHead:)

BTW....YOU ROCK!

Wayne

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks guys.

I will write up a little review once I have had the chance to use it. I plugged it in and turned it on just to make sure everything worked. This thing is like night and day compared to my old PC 333VS. Very little vibration. The pad stops in just a couple of seconds when you turn it off. Hopefully the results hold up when it is under load.

The plan is to hook it up to my Shop Vac for dust collection. I could give it a short test with just the canister to see how well it does. Never found those canisters to be very good at catching much dust, plus they have to be emptied quite often.

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
Also got my eyes on one of those machines. I have had the older model PC ROS for over 20 years and it's just now starting to make some funny noises. May be time for an upgrade. Just have to figure out how to modify all the 5-hole paper I now have to work with the new 8-hole machine.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Still using a Makita jitterbug from 1991. Guess it's time to join the 21st century. :dontknow:

Got to try some Festool products at Scott's Saturday. They are nice tools................ :crossedlips: ........... if only...

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I had an opportunity to use the new sander over the weekend. It works great!

I tried it with just the dust canister attached and it did a good job collecting the dust. Very little dust was left on the piece being sanded. I attached the shop vac to the dust port and that worked even better (duh). There was practically nothing left on the piece. When I wiped it with a glove, only some very fine powder remained.

It took a little getting used to. The body of the sander is quite a bit wider than the PC 333VS. I had to figure out the best way to hold it to control where it was going. When I first started, it tended to wander. I found that just resting one hand on top and holding the dust port area with the other hand worked pretty well. After a while I was able to control it quite well with just one hand sitting on top.

With the PC 333VS it seemed like I had to press down on the sander to get it to work well. With this sander just the weight of the machine seems to be plenty.

The pad on the new sander is a little larger and supports the sanding discs almost to the edge. The paper overhangs the pad by ~ 1/8".

I used the sander to remove the finish on some pre-finished cherry plywood. I started with 60 grit to remove most of the finish, moved to 120 grit to get the entire surface down to bare wood, and finished up with 180 grit to smooth out the surface. I was able to get all of the finish off without sanding through the micro-veneer on the ply. The sander was controllable enough to get right to the edges and corners without sanding through. I think the low profile design helps in keeping the pad flat on the surface with no tipping.

One other thing I noticed, with the shop vac attached to the dust port and the sander turned off, the suction through the machine was enough to lift small boards (~ 12" x 12") off of the bench.

I used the sander for a over an hour and no tingling fingers when I was finished. At least no more than I had before I started.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I had an opportunity to use the new sander over the weekend. It works great!

I tried it with just the dust canister attached and it did a good job collecting the dust. Very little dust was left on the piece being sanded. I attached the shop vac to the dust port and that worked even better (duh). There was practically nothing left on the piece. When I wiped it with a glove, only some very fine powder remained.

It took a little getting used to. The body of the sander is quite a bit wider than the PC 333VS. I had to figure out the best way to hold it to control where it was going. When I first started, it tended to wander. I found that just resting one hand on top and holding the dust port area with the other hand worked pretty well. After a while I was able to control it quite well with just one hand sitting on top.

With the PC 333VS it seemed like I had to press down on the sander to get it to work well. With this sander just the weight of the machine seems to be plenty.

The pad on the new sander is a little larger and supports the sanding discs almost to the edge. The paper overhangs the pad by ~ 1/8".

I used the sander to remove the finish on some pre-finished cherry plywood. I started with 60 grit to remove most of the finish, moved to 120 grit to get the entire surface down to bare wood, and finished up with 180 grit to smooth out the surface. I was able to get all of the finish off without sanding through the micro-veneer on the ply. The sander was controllable enough to get right to the edges and corners without sanding through. I think the low profile design helps in keeping the pad flat on the surface with no tipping.

One other thing I noticed, with the shop vac attached to the dust port and the sander turned off, the suction through the machine was enough to lift small boards (~ 12" x 12") off of the bench.

I used the sander for a over an hour and no tingling fingers when I was finished. At least no more than I had before I started.

Thanks for the review, Mark (I think!:gar-La;:gar-La;)

I may have to get in gear and try and find one at other than the list price.

Wayne

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Man you are on a roll with the gloats!! :cool: :cool:

I saw "brown" drive down the road to my neighborhood while I was walking this evening. Man I hoped he stopped at my house. Checked the front porch when I got home - NOTHING. :gar-Cr

Sounds like the ROS is a keeper.

Chuck

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks for the review, Mark (I think!:gar-La;:gar-La;)

I may have to get in gear and try and find one at other than the list price.

Wayne

I shopped around a little. Best price I could find was $129.99 with free shipping. Lot's of places have it at that price point (Amazon, Tyler Tools, Rockler). Klingspor has it for $129.95 minus the NCWW discount plus tax and shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS