African Blackwood rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
How I do them:gar-Bi
I am not rich enough to buy sticks of African Blackwood, but I was able to buy a bunch of cut off's by the pound, not good for too much but great for making thin rings.

blackwood1.jpg

first I cut them into strips about 3/8" thick

blackwood2.jpg

Then cut segments from them. and sand one side flat.

blackwood3.jpg

I then glue the segments on one at a time, kinda reminds me of gluing open segments.

blackwood4.jpg

A press helps to make sure there tight.

blackwood6.jpg

Of course doing it this way the last segment will not fit, and must be hand fitted, and that means the joints will not be evenly spaced, but thats ok as you cant see blackwood joints.

blackwood5.jpg

the glued ring looks a bit rough.

blackwood7.jpg

but after some turning it does look good.

blackwood8.jpg

and that folks is how I make thin blackwood rings
Thanks for looking

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Dang Earl,

That is Great~! Way to use cutoffs~! You sure know how to do it. And if your have any cutoffs from that, I will be happy to take them off your hands. But from the looks of it, I bet it is all used up.

Thanks for showing us.

jcz

Johnny
Corporate Member
Looks great!! I got some of those cut offs also. Ive been using mine to make toneboards for duck calls. Sure wish they were still available. Im starting to get low.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Earl, that is pretty neat way of doing them.
I had to read that part about getting them at east hardwood when they WERE closed three times before my mind took the extra word out... sheesh lol
I love getting good deals like that- but when they start running low it makes me sad and nervous. I know I'll need two more than I have left!

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
Thanks for the tutorial. Now if you can put music with the words and pictures, that would be great.
James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS