Advice on 3" holes in 3/4 plywood

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
What would be your advise on drilling 3" holes in 3/4 in plywood. Forstner bit or Hole saw. Keeping in mind that this may end up being quite a few holes.

Let me explain...

I am orignally from southern Indiana. Growing up we played a game called "Washers", this is very similar to Horseshoes except you play with 2" washers. When I was growing up we didn't have much money so we simply took a few soup cans, buried them in the yard several feet apart and tossed washers in them.

Now the game has evolved into a Plywood box with 5 3" holes placed in it, the boxes are placed several feet apart and you toss the washers in the holes in the boxes, each with a different numerical value 1 through 5.

Since this is a very localized game, you just can't go into walmart and buy the boxes, they have to be made. I have been after my family for years to send me either plans or a few boxes I could copy. My step father actually brought same drawings over the holidays and I want to make a set to see how they turn out. I want the easist way to get the 3" holes.

Woodworkers supply has a 3" forstner bit for under $30.00. Big Boxes have 3" hole saws for about the same price.

gator

George
Corporate Member
Forstner bit is the way to go, especially if there are a lot of holes. Remember that with a hole saw, you will have to dig out the disc after cutting each hole and that can get old quick. The only problem with the forstner bit is that they are normally used on a drill press, especially one that size. If you are really careful and drill at a slow speed, you can do it with a hand held drill. Besure to clamp your board down really good before drilling with a hand drill.

George

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Hole saw. Forstner bit (if they make that big) would be quite expensive and impossible to drill with a hand-held drill.

A while ago, I had to drill 126 3" holes in I-Joists (rafters). Wore out 3 hole saws.

..just my $.02
Bernhard

DavidF

New User
David
I would go hole saw in a hand drill. Forstner is too slow and too accurate for this type of work. Better to wear out a cheap hole saw than a $30 forsner. Use a backer board underneath the one to be drilled. Maybe even use some temporary screws to hold the sheets together.

nelsone

New User
Ed
I would vote hole saw. Cut 3/4 through and flip the ply finish the cut from the back. Forstner will be hard to control and same with a circle cutter. Both should only be used with a drill press in my opinion.

Toddler

New User
Todd
Wayne,

I don't know which bit is better, but I think this is going to be a PITA with either. I do agree that digging out the pucks is no fun after using a hole saw, but I've never tried a big Forstner big by hand.

If you are going to be doing this by hand and don't have a hole hawg, you can use mine. I'm also in Hillsborough. I wouldn't ask a normal hand drill to do this!

A follow up thought, if you go with the hole saw, then in the future getting other sizes will only be $8-15/size since you'll have the center bit. I wonder how neat a hole a 3" selfeed bit would make in plywood. That would be the easest method. I only have the 1" and 1 1/2" selfeeds plus an extension bar. The 3" is around $80, but if you know a plumber . . .

Todd

PS) we're orange country ;-)

Last edited:

Littlejon

New User
Jon
From personal experience, go with the hole saw. Forstner bits are great on a drill press, but, IMHO, very hard to keep perpendicular in a hand drill. They will also tear out plywood if you aren't careful.

Mtnman

New User
Talley Pollard
As long as you are going to use a drill press, I think the circle cutter would work the best, and can be used again to cut different size holes, other than 3", for other projects.
Your going to pay a lot for a Forster bit, or hole saw that size, and 3" holes are the only size they will cut.

I would not use the circle cutter in a portable hand drill, so cut your holes on the drill press before you assemble the box.

jerrye

New User
Jerry
If you have access to it...I vote for a RotoZip, Dremel, or similar machine with a spiral bit and a circle cutter. The cleanest method I know of to cut holes in ply and no predrilling of holes to boot!

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Forstner- nope

Hole cutter (solid, serrated, rim) - It will take you awhile but should give you decent holes. You'll wear yourself out if you don't use a drill press.

Hole cutter (fly cutter)- I'd use this one only with a drill press to keep from getting too much tear out. Probably the fastest method.

My choice- make a hardboard template and use a spiral bit and a router with a guide bushing (just a big rotozip)

DavidF

New User
David
As long as you are going to use a drill press, I think the circle cutter would work the best, and can be used again to cut different size holes, other than 3", for other projects.
Your going to pay a lot for a Forster bit, or hole saw that size, and 3" holes are the only size they will cut.

I would not use the circle cutter in a portable hand drill, so cut your holes on the drill press before you assemble the box.

From the way I visualize this project, a drill press would not reach the inner holes. Still say hole saw.

ebarr

New User
Wayne
I have a Dremel circle cut attachment, but...

I'm kinda liken Alan's suggestion of making a template, using my spiral cut bit and collar with my Router. Really hadn't thought of it before, But then again that's what this group is for.

Toddler, Nice to know I have some neighbors in Hillsborough.

Thanks,

rhett

New User
rhett
I agree with the hole saw method. To aid in the puck removal, you can put a spring around the interior drill bit. If you get one that's the right size and tension the puck pops out at the end of your cut.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
I think Alan's suggestion is the easiest.

DON'T use a fly cutter/wing cutter (or whatever they are called) in a hand held drill. I have a 1 inch scar across the knuckle of my left index finger to prove this is a BAD idea, just like it states on the package. I can still remember the blood pouring from my finger and thinking I had cut the tenons in my finger. DON't DO IT. :BangHead: :BangHead: I did not have a drill press at the time and thought I would be real careful and I would be okay. Well I chucked the thing in my 18V Bocsh drill and gabbed the chuck, as I always do to tighten the bit,,,,,well you get the picture.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
First, because you are making more than one- Make a template. This allows for additional ones later when this game becomes the national pass time. I would probably make template using a router with trammel. Then using plunge router with guide bushing and spiral up cut carbide bit, make game boards. Some how I always wind up making a jig or template. Of course, I"m starting another job for YMCA using a router template that I first made in 1998. If using hole saw, as soon as saw makes a mark on wood, drill a relief hole on inside of mark. This allows somewhere for saw dust to collect.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
For safety sake I agree with Alan and Bruce on making a template and using a router. A 3" forstner or 3" hole saw in a hand drill is not my idea of being wound up which will happen if you lock up the bit or saw. That bit or saw will stop but that drill is going to keep going unless you have a fantastic way of stopping it when the bit or saw stops. When I was doing electrical work I found that working with hole saws and large drills were no match for me trying to hold it when they locked and the drill just kept on running. It's like the Eveready Bunny "It just keeps going and going." Be safe and don't get too wound up in your project to where you get injured. :crybaby2: :-( Terry

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Although twice the hole size (6") and in 1/2" plywood, when I made this "Cornhole" game for my daughterthis past summer, I found that the Jasper Circle Jig and an upcut spiral bit in my router worked extremely well!

CornHole_Game_2.jpg

A hole saw may work ok, on a drill press, but the router is just so much easier and less headache (removing the slug!).

The jig I have will cut from 2" - 16" diameter holes.

Just a thought..........

Wayne

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
No one has suggested what I would do so here's my $.02. Draw the 3" circles on the plywood; drill a pilot hole in the circles; put a fine tooth blade in a jigsaw; cut out the holes next to the line; sand it smooth; paint it. No trip to Lowe's required.:lol:

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS