Acrylic Pen turning

Status
Not open for further replies.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
My daughter wants me to turn one of the "bullet" pen kits for my SIL so that she can give it to him for Christmas - It will be the camo acrylic blank - 1st-what do I need to know about turning it - same tools as wood? what speed? - When I bore it out do I need to lubricate it? etc. 2nd - Do I need to get the sanding kit that goes up to 12000 and should I wet sand it??

Thanks for the help in advance:icon_thum

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Phil,

Here is what I have been doing with Acylics. I ususally drill them out at about 1200ish RPM on the Drill Press and go slowly they will heat up pretty quickly. Take your time drilling it. I don't use any lubricants but I guess you could. As far as turning them I use the same tools as I do on wood I just make sure they are very sharp when starting out as the acrylics are typically a little harder than most woods.

Make sure and take light cuts until you get used to it. If you have a real sharp tools and get going right you should have little ribbons of acrylic coming off the blank and you will have small little chunks as well. I usually take it down pretty close with the gouge and the smooth the whole thing out with the Skew as a scraper and get it almost to the bushings then I will sand from 120 to 400 and then move over to MicroMesh to 12000 and then I use HUT plastic polish but you can probably use any automotive polish on them. The one that I posted a couple of days ago with the black and white blank was done using this process.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Thanks Kevin - that helps alot - :icon_thum

Phillip,

Glad to help and sorry I just realized that I left the last pary of your name off when I responded, sometimes my hands and brain aren't working at the same time. :gar-La;

Let me know if you have any other questions.

This is one area I can actually provide some insight on....

timf67

New User
Tim
Phillip,

I made that exact same pen for a hunter friend of mine. I treated the acrylic like wood - since I didn't know any better and things turned out fine. You'll notice a funny smell when you drill it out and when you turn it, but its normal. I just sanded mine all the way out with micro-mesh and didn't put any finish on at all. It polishes up great and didn't look like it needed any finish.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Phillip,

Glad to help and sorry I just realized that I left the last pary of your name off when I responded, sometimes my hands and brain aren't working at the same time. :gar-La;

Let me know if you have any other questions.

This is one area I can actually provide some insight on....

That is ok I answer to either one - When I was a little rascal it was Phillip - then I became a :cool: teenager it was Phil - and now that I am not a :cool: teenager it is back to Phillip so either one will be just fine - Actually I am now known as "Poppop" since my grandson has been talking:gar-Bi

I watched a video this morning on turning some acrylic and they went up to the 600 grit and used an acrylic polish - do you know anything about this - and will the user have to keep butting polish on it

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
That is ok I answer to either one - When I was a little rascal it was Phillip - then I became a :cool: teenager it was Phil - and now that I am not a :cool: teenager it is back to Phillip so either one will be just fine - Actually I am now known as "Poppop" since my grandson has been talking:gar-Bi

I watched a video this morning on turning some acrylic and they went up to the 600 grit and used an acrylic polish - do you know anything about this - and will the user have to keep butting polish on it

I don't think that going to 600 gives it a good enough finish. I will go through the micromesh and that gets it really close and then I use the plastic polish which is essentially another abrasive just ultra fine. I only use and a dime sized puddle on a paper towel put it on a slow speed until it is about all off the towel and the take a clean part of the towel and buff it out. It's not so much a finish as it is like I said a ultra fine abrasive and you shouldn't have to reapply anytime soon unless the user beats the heck out of it. I have had a couple of them in rotation for about a year and haven't had any issues with them dulling or anything like that.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I don't think that going to 600 gives it a good enough finish. I will go through the micromesh and that gets it really close and then I use the plastic polish which is essentially another abrasive just ultra fine. I only use and a dime sized puddle on a paper towel put it on a slow speed until it is about all off the towel and the take a clean part of the towel and buff it out. It's not so much a finish as it is like I said a ultra fine abrasive and you shouldn't have to reapply anytime soon unless the user beats the heck out of it. I have had a couple of them in rotation for about a year and haven't had any issues with them dulling or anything like that.

Thanks Kevin:icon_thum

ednl

ed
Senior User
Philip -

everything Kevin said... although I drill the blanks at 600 rpm... heat is the enemy !!! keep backing out those chips (ribbons)... even a little heat will cause a stress crack that will release later when you're turning the blank... will really ruin your whole day !!

again - really sharp tools when turning... and take very small cuts... be real patient... if you try to cut too deep the blank may chip out or split completely... acrylic turns very easily but ya gotta go real slow or it will explode...

I too finish to 12000 mm... and use a polish... it should look beautiful...

good luck...
ed
DSC003661.JPG

View image in gallery

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Thanks Ed - I hope that I have as much patients on this turning as I do on my scrolling - I only ordered one kit and I am a little concern about it -

I need to get some ornaments made, a turkey pix cut out - a portrait of my grandson cut - another pix of an ugly cow that my FIL painted that I asked if I could make a pattern out of and send him one of the cuttings - the painting is not ugly it is just one ugly cow - ribs showing -horns are crooked - back hip bones are sticking out - you just need to see it:gar-La; I will post a pix of both - painting and cutting when I get it done - I need to turn this pen - two coffee scoopers - maybe some more bottle stoppers if the lady that wants some for Christmas gifts does not like the ones that I have now:swoon:

BTW Very Nice pen

Scwood

New User
BigJoe
When drilling some acrylics I found it a good idea to use about a 1/4" piece of cut off blank to put under the blank I'm drilling.This will prevent blow outs on the bottom when the bit breaks thru.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
When drilling some acrylics I found it a good idea to use about a 1/4" piece of cut off blank to put under the blank I'm drilling.This will prevent blow outs on the bottom when the bit breaks thru.

Thanks Joe - I didn't even think about that happening

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Phil,

Ed is correct on the drill speed. I used to cut all of mine at around 600RPM as well and the heat will stay down. I bumped mine up to 1200 and don't have to much of a heat issue if I take it slow, but the other main reason I did it is with my Drill Press I seem to get a better cut and more accurate bore at the higher speed, I would err on the side of Ed and start with the slower speed and see how that does for you. Just as a note I have the el cheapo HF 8" Drill press so I am sure that is some of my problem. :)

BigJoe brings up and Excellent point as well that I forgot, I would highly recommend leaving a little extra on the end to prevent blow outs, I can't tell you the number of times that small little trick has saved a pen during drilling it out.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Tom if I am not mistaking since you use the same lathe tools turning the acrylic as you do the wood then you can use the same bit boring it as you would boring your wood pen blanks - - I am sure someone with greater experience will chime in here and tells us the rest of the story

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Phillip you are correct the same Bits and Tools can be used to turn Acrylic. The sharper the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors