A Long but Enjoyable Day at IWF

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McRabbet

Yesterday morning I left home at 5AM and drove to Atlanta for IWF. Wisely, I parked for free at an outlying MARTA station and bought a $4 round trip ticket. Walked into the show at 9:15. Here are some pictures and a report.

Welcome to the World Congress Center and IWF 2008!

Everyone was there -- Jet: Delta (new Unisaw):
General from Canada: and Grizzly: (Their new 16" planer/jointer).

Powermatic had a world-class turner making Stetsons on one of their lathes

And speaking of lathes, all you pen turners will be jealous of this little Laguna lathe for that latest tree-sized creation of yours: :rotflm:

Steel City had a nice booth showing off many of their products from "Stone Age" granite-topped saws and jointers to planers and a yet-to-be-introduced variable speed Drill Press with 6'' of quill travel. They also have a Biesemeyer clone fence on their tablesaws that is the smoothest one I've ever seen!

There were several CNC Router companies there suitable for smaller shops like TechnoCNC demoing a child's rocking chair from MDF.

And ShopBot with their "Buddy" series -- these are ideal for a smaller shop because the work piece moves on an X-axis table and the Y- and Z-axes are confined to a solid overhead 'gantry'. A well-equipped system is about $10K.

There was lots of big "arn", too -- one vendor showed a CNC machine that can produce 200 full-sized doors in a day (including the hinges and lock mortises) out of solid wood ... and monstrous dust collection systems handling dozens of automated machines from one vendor in multi-acre "booths"!

But aside from seeing several celebrities like our very own Junquecol and his lovely wife, plus Glenn Huey and Chris Schwartz of Popular Woodworking magazine fame, my favorite encounters of the day came in the late afternoon with a visit to the Splinter display in Building A and the Festool Booth in Building B where I watch Marc Spagnuolo (The Wood Whisperer) demonstrate the Kapex sliding compound miter saw.

I posted more pictures of the Splinter in this thread and thoroughly enjoyed the time with Marc -- he was very personable and we chatted for 15 minutes -- little did I realize his wife was webcasting his demonstration on their website -- I'll need to look for the re-runs!

I left at 6:00 PM and after the MARTA return trip, dinner en route and a mandatory gas stop in SC ($3.329/gallon), I dragged in at home at 11PM and crashed! A great day indeed, but I'll stay over for at least two days next time.

P.S. -- I didn't buy anything....:gar-Cr

Last edited by a moderator:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Excellent review, Rob!!

Sounds like you got to see lots of the new and innovative stuff. Just can't believe that you didn't pick up at least some little thing.:wconfused:

Sure sounds like a very long day though!

Thanks for the photo's!

Wayne

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Rob, thank you for sharing that report with us. I wish I could make it this year but I missed out:gar-Cr. Your photos and commentary really make me wish I could have made it.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Thanks Rob. I want to go to IWF someday.

Not to steal this thread, but what is the fascination with the Wood Whisperer on forums, and now one of the WW mags and Festool. I find his presentations boring and mostly basic, beginner stuff. Most of the tutorials seem weak, and overall he comes across as just a rookie with a website.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Sounds like a great day
Appreciate the 'low down".
I'll take one of theose 'beginner' lathes next trip, okay?

M

McRabbet

Thanks Rob. I want to go to IWF someday.

Not to steal this thread, but what is the fascination with the Wood Whisperer on forums, and now one of the WW mags and Festool. I find his presentations boring and mostly basic, beginner stuff. Most of the tutorials seem weak, and overall he comes across as just a rookie with a website.
He certainly does focus on basic techniques, but I think he fills an important niche that helps newer woodworkers -- lets face it, we all started there -- and I don't see him pushing his sponsors overtly and he is a very personable guy. He is not a David Marks nor a Norm Abrams nor a Sam Maloof nor a Franz Klaus, but he has added to the knowledge base for lots of people. Like you and me, he is willing and able to share the knowledge he has with others, which I applaud:eusa_clap.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
We spent three days at the show. Got up at 3:15 on Wed. and caught a 6:00 AM flight. Upon arriving at Hartsfield- Jackson, we bought couple of seven day passes on MARTA. Caught the train to show. Stopped in CNN building for breakfast. Wife's phone rings- its her son telling her that her father can't get his truck started. Son forgot we were in ATL. and he was on the way to Fayetteville. Had to call daughter to go over and get it going for him. Spent the day at the show. Next morning went back. A MARTA bus stop was at the bottom of the drive to our hotel, and MARTA train was four blocks from hotel. This made travel very easy. While at show on Thur. morning, a customer called and told me he had sewer problem. Wanted to know how long before I could come over. Ten hours, plus $4 a mile. Said he would call someone else in that case. Saw Robert Thurs. afternoon. On Friday, Norm was at the show doing the autograph thingie. Wed. I was asked to participate in a product evaluation for Delta. They fed both of us lunch, and we rated new products and ideas. For my trouble they are sending me a PC 690 (pregloat). Lunch and a FREE router for an hours time- what a deal! Friday after lunch we picked up our daughter's car and went sight seeing. On Sat. morning, we went to Highland Hardware. They are less than four miles from hotel. After visiting Highland, we stopped at a HD to make a pit stop. Our daughter called and said that she was in Missouri, and would be coming back to ATL that afternoon. By the time we drove across ATL, and ate lunch, she was back. She rode shuttle to hotel near airport, got off shuttle, and we got on shuttle to go to airport. But we did get to see her, even if it was only for a moment. Had a safe flight home. Glad to see all the rain that had fallen while we were gone:rotflm: Bruce

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
I was there on Thursday and Friday. It was pretty great. I saw and talked to Mark "Tarhead", Phil Ashley, and saw but didn't talk to "I know that guy from somewhere" PeteQuad. Also talked to Glen Huey and Marc "TheWoodWhisperer" Spagnuolo. Saw Lonnie Bird, Scott Phillips, Chris Schwarz, and Asa Christiana too - woodworking celebrities aplenty.

I got quite a haul of free trinkets (no survey power tool though -BRUCE:jealous:). It was also nice to talk to the experts at each booth - got some good contacts.

Here's some info on the Unisaw that is suppose to start shipping in Jan09. The guy said if this takes off, they'll probably make more stuff in the USA. The guts are redesigned so, as far as I know, it's the end of the line for the mechanism that they've been using since the late 1930's.

Didn't hit Highland this year, but instead went to the V for some grub and got some Tech stuff at the bookstore. Sweet:icon_thum

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
With reporting like this, you won't be a cub for long. I gotta put the IWF on my list of places to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS