3 Legged table (copy of Shamrock's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
A couple of months ago Shamrock posted a 3 legged table he had made from an old issue of Fine Woodworking. I thought he did a very nice job, and I thought I would like to do one some time. My youngest daughter's school is having an auction, so I decided to build one.

In the spirit of continuing to copy, I figure I will follow in Canuck's footsteps and put detail into it, so here goes.

First, here is the table completed and unfinished. I used African Mahogany as I had it, and I like to work with it.

tabe_assembled.JPG

I started out making a template. I used 1/4" baltic birch plywood, because once again, I had it. In the past I would have used Luan plywood, but that has become horrible to work with and what I now call wavy wood. I tried to use a piece that I had for this project, and ended up trashing it. If I had to go to the BORG to get something I would have probably just used masonite.

Leg_Template.JPG

Once I had my template done, I laid it out on my mahogany boards. I cut it out on the bandsaw, but a jig saw would work as well.

Leg_drawn.JPG

Leg_cut_out.JPG

Since the table has 3 legs and there are 3 fillers each piece has to have a 30 degree cut on each side. According to the magazine article, you need to leave this top part on the leg assemblies until you cut the 30 degree angles, and they are quite right. A tablesaw is pretty much required to cut these, and I had to make several test cuts to ensure the blade was at 30 degrees. Then I made this jig to ride on my tablesaw to make the cuts. With a regular saw, you don't need this set up, bu being my tablesaw is a slider, I made this to make it go easier. The leg is clamped in place and pushed through the blade.

jig3.JPG

When you get done, you are left with this. You can see that I did not get a sharp point on my boards, and that was intentional as it was referenced in the article as well. This way, you have a little wiggle room when you try to fit all the stuff.
30_degree.JPG

Next, you cut off the excess part of the leg, and then taper each side of the leg 1/8". This is pretty easy to accomplish if you have a jointer, but if you don't, it can be done with a hand plane or power planer. From here starts the hand work. Basically, you have to round over the outside and inside edges of the legs. You draw lines down the legs and then use rasps, files and sandpaper to get them shaped and smoothed. I am still learning hand tools and doing hand work, but this turned out not to be hard at all.

shaping_leg.JPG

Thanks for looking and more to come.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
That is gonna be a nice graceful looking table, Travis!:icon_thum

I am really curious as to what you will be showing us relative to the joinery used.:icon_scra (The three legs joined at the top.:dontknow:

I too am really getting a kick out of the details provided!

Thanks

Wayne

M

McRabbet

Looking good -- thanks for the step-by-step coverage. What finish are you planning for it? I'm a Behlen Rockhard Tabletop Varnish guy for maximum durability, but know it is a glossy finish. Here is some African Mahogany with it applied (this was for my Wine Cellar project done back on '07).

Here is the same varnish on Bubinga for a Counter Top project I did in '08. I later rubbed this surface out to 1200 grit to produce a sating finish at the client's request because it was too glossy for them (plus it had some dust nibs that showed too easily in the reflections).

Another view, after the "satin-izing".

GoToLeep

New User
Dan
Very nice work Travis. And from a Newbie, let me thank you for the nice tutorial. I am definitely looking forward to the rest of this build. :notworthy::notworthy:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Looking good -- thanks for the step-by-step coverage. What finish are you planning for it? I'm a Behlen Rockhard Tabletop Varnish guy for maximum durability, but know it is a glossy finish. Here is some African Mahogany with it applied (this was for my Wine Cellar project done back on '07).

Here is the same varnish on Bubinga for a Counter Top project I did in '08. I later rubbed this surface out to 1200 grit to produce a sating finish at the client's request because it was too glossy for them (plus it had some dust nibs that showed too easily in the reflections).

Another view, after the "satin-izing".

This is probably where I have screwed up. :embaresse I won't post it here as I am still working on it and I will do it towards the end, but I kind of wished I had asked before starting finishing after seeing what you did.... Oh well... Next project.:BangHead:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
The legs and dividers are cut out, they are shaped and sanded to 220 grit, it is time to glue this assembly together. No fancy clamps, just a simple set up and a couple of F style clamps in two sections.

There are 6 total pieces to glue together. 3 legs and 3 dividers. The magazine article gives pictures of how the author did it and the assembly, so I copied that.

First glue up is 2 legs and one divider. I used wax paper on the bottom of the jig so the glue couldn't stick.

glue_up_1.JPG

Next one is 1 leg and two dividers.

glue_up_22.JPG

Here is an endview. The little triangular pieces are the dividers and are part of the table leg assembly.

glue_up_2a.JPG

Once the two halves are dried, I glue them together. It should be pretty apparent now that having each piece accurately cut at a 30 degree angle is very important as any variance is going to leave a gap.

2_halves_glued.JPG

Once it is all glued up, we have a 3 legged frame.

rough_assembly.JPG

The top isn't quite even, but that will be easy enough to fix with a belt sander. To make sure I am flat, I just put a level on it in each direction and get it flat. Fairly easy.

rough_assembly_2.JPG

Next up will be shaping and sanding the glued up leg assembly.

jhreed

New User
james
Loved the table. Would be afraid to try it myself. also, I am a shop voyear sp. Love your shop, looks better than my living room. Do you like your gluebot? I have one, but have not used it yet.
James

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Now that the leg assemblies are glued it is time to shape and sand the dividers. I say this like I know what I am doing, but really, this is the first project I have done that takes a lot of hand work, and I can sincerely say it is a lot easier than I would have thought. I would encourage anyone to try this project. The hardest part is making sure you have your 30 degree angles right.

Moving onward, to shape the legs, the magazine author primarily used a round bottom plane. Normally, anytime I build a project and [STRIKE]need [/STRIKE] want a new tool, I go out and buy it. This time around, I can say I have not bought any tools to build this table. I have had every tool used.

The tools I used to shape the dividers and legs are shown below. The true secret weapon is the 1.5 inch piece of pipe wrapped in sandpaper. The gouges do make it faster, but really, you could wrap the pipe in 40 grit paper and sand away. I did use some 40 grit on the pipe for rough shaping, and moved up through all the grits.

shaping_tools.JPG

After about 3 minutes with the gouges (yes 3 minutes) I put them away. Notice the chip out on the left at the top of the leg.....:cry_smile I had thought I was going to be able to sand or cut that, but it wasn't mean to be.....:gar-Cr

shaping_gouge.JPG

I then move to the pipe and the rasps. This photo is after about 5 minutes.
shaping_sanding.JPG

This last photo is with the shaping and sanding complete. Total time to finish one side I would estimate at 12 minutes.

shaping_done.JPG

Back to that chip out. I was going to leave it and hoped it would not be noticed, but I wanted it to be right, so I decided to fix it. My solution was to fill it in with a scrap piece of wood and sawdust. Check it out. Looks pretty bad doesn' it?

chip.JPG

After letting it dry overnight and sanding it smooth, I think it turned out pretty good don't you?

chip_repair.JPG

Now that the base is done, time to start on the top mount assembly. Just a piece 5/8 thick by 5x17 rounded at the ends and tapered. I elongate the holes for mounting the top to allow for expansion and contraction.

support.JPG

Time to start on the top. The top is just 3 oversized boards that I edge glued and ran through my wide belt sander.:gar-Bi A wide belt sander is a SWEET machine for making panels flat. Once I got the panel sanded, I rigged up a circle cutter on my bandsaw. Nothing more than a piece of plywood with a screw through it. Since the top is 20 inches wide, i put the screw 10 inches out from the blade, and put a small hole in the center of the panel to cut it. You can see the little screw off to the right.

circle_cut.JPG

Here you can see the table top cut out, sanded to 220 grit, and wiped down with mineral spirits.

table_top2.JPG

From here is final sanding (which I am done with) and finishing (which I am doing right now).

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Loved the table. Would be afraid to try it myself. also, I am a shop voyear sp. Love your shop, looks better than my living room. Do you like your gluebot? I have one, but have not used it yet.
James

Thanks, but you should try it. It really isn't that hard, and using hand tools makes it a lot harder to scrw up.

As for the shop, thanks, but it is gettinga bit crowded, I think I would like to get a bigger one, just don't tell my wife.:rolleyes:

skysharks

New User
John Macmaster
Hey Travis, great job man. I really enjoyed reading the step by step and the pictures. G
Good to see you back in the shop working it.
Oh did I tell you that I really am enjoying my jointer now. The veil before my eyes have been removed.
Warped boards, ah ha, I fear them not, lol.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Travis,

You've done very well with the table and can't wait to see the finished project. Looks like you have approached things in much the same way I did. The sandpaper around the pipe was a good idea. I just used the 1 " drum from my ryobi spindle sander.

Here's a big hint if you ever build another that I didn't find out till after I glued all the legs up. The 30 degree angle cutting is one of the harder parts of the project and in the article he makes it seem like it's crucial to get it just right.......... but after you glue up the 2 legs and 1 divider and 2 divider and 1 leg assemblies your left with 2 flat surfaces. Soooooo..... what I did is I took those 2 flat surfaces and took very light passes on my jointer until both sides were glue joint tight and then I just glued them together. All this really does in terms of the sides matching up is requires maybe a minute or 2 more of sanding. This then takes the stress out of the whole 30 angle cutting as each piece doesn't have to be perfect as in the end the 2 sides will be flat for glue up.

Love the mahogany, you dying it?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I thought about doing the jointer passes, but I wasn't sure. I should have done it as it would have made it a LOT easier.

No dye. I am going au-natural. I should be done with the finish tonight. The mahogany has definitely been great to work with.

richlife

New User
Rich
Ok, I'm IMPRESSED!! (and notice, Travis, that I went out of my way to find you -- had to crawl through for screens of posts!)

Very nice work, your repair is immaculate (the trick with gouges is to use them on difficult woods for years -- then you can make your mistakes with complete confidence!) :confused_ Your "tutorial" post was very informative and helpful.

As far as the finish, I strongly recommend Rob (McRabbet)'s approach to rub out the final finish. He stopped at 1200 grit, but with micromesh you can go on to 6000 or 8000 grit (depending on preference). Use mineral spirits as a buffing medium. I used just plain polyurethane on my grandson's toy box (on my website). I wanted the tough, hard finish, but I hated the plastic look so I followed Bob Flexner's advice and "finished the finish"). Let the poly cure for 30 days and then start polishing grit by grit until I got what I liked. Anything from 1200 on up is quite nice, but I really wanted a bright glow, so took the toy box to 8000. Talk about a beautiful finish -- much lusher and very natural looking not at all like the basic poly. I actually prefer it to french polished shellac (though I've not expert with that level of shellac finishing) because the "glow" is similar and it's not as easy to screw up -- and of course, it resists wear. With the poly, you just need perseverence and to be sure that each grit level is cleared by the next level. It would be a great finish for your table. Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors