2'x2'x1/8" plywood in Raleigh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveD

New User
Dave
I need a piece of 2'x2'x1/8" stain grade plywood for the back of a shadow box for mineratures. Anybody know a place in Raleigh to get a small piece like this?

I wonder if the new Woodcraft will have it when they open?

I have some 1/4" mahogany plywood that will work if I can't find any 1/8" but I would rather have the 1/8". This shadow box doesn't have to be made like a tank (my normal operating mode).

I could have done it with a couple of pieces of 1/8" thick mahogany from Klingspoor but at $10/sq ft that was a little too much cost wise. I'd be more willing to buy a whole sheet of 1/8" plywood (if I could find it) rather than pay those prices.

An alternative...anybody ever make a sled for their thickness planer and try to plane solid stock down to 1/8"? 1st thought is if it breaks up while being planed it is going to make one heck of a noise and probably jamb up the planer real good.

The rest of the box is going to be made out of mahogany.

thrytis

New User
Eric
Michaels and AC Moore carry small pieces of baltic birch. I think they carry 1/8", though they may not carry it 24" wide. There is usually a 40% coupon in the Sunday paper.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I need a piece of 2'x2'x1/8" stain grade plywood for the back of a shadow box for mineratures. Anybody know a place in Raleigh to get a small piece like this?

I wonder if the new Woodcraft will have it when they open?

I have some 1/4" mahogany plywood that will work if I can't find any 1/8" but I would rather have the 1/8". This shadow box doesn't have to be made like a tank (my normal operating mode).

I could have done it with a couple of pieces of 1/8" thick mahogany from Klingspoor but at $10/sq ft that was a little too much cost wise. I'd be more willing to buy a whole sheet of 1/8" plywood (if I could find it) rather than pay those prices.

An alternative...anybody ever make a sled for their thickness planer and try to plane solid stock down to 1/8"? 1st thought is if it breaks up while being planed it is going to make one heck of a noise and probably jamb up the planer real good.

The rest of the box is going to be made out of mahogany.

DaveD, I have some 1/8 I use for my scrolling work. I have Birch, Maple and maybe some oak. If you are willing to drive to Cary (just off of US1) PM me and we can set it up.

M

McRabbet

Take a peek in the unfinished kitchen cabinet section of your Lowe's store. They have Birch and Red Oak plywood used for end panels and toe kicks. I bought some for a special project this past summer, but I cannot remember all of the widths they carried. IIRC, they did have sheets up to 7' long by 24" wide.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
In all actuality the ¼" Ply you get is only 3/16" that's not much thicker than an 1/8" and you can easily pick up Oak or Birch "handy" panels at Lowe's.
Dave:)

DaveD

New User
Dave
Thanks, everyone. I sincerely appreciate the free offers and ideas. Lowes was the 'ticket' . I went to the ones near me and found/bought a 2x2 pc of 3/16" for a whole $2.12 in birch.
They also had the cabinet side 2'x7' for $17.

The plywood was warped and twisted a little but the price was right. This morning it was flat after sitting in the house all night.

At the rate I'm working on this thing (haven't started yet) I'll probably still stop in the new Woodcraft when it opens to see if they have it in mahogany for a reasonable price.

Its nice to have these places about 4 miles from home.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS