2nd picture post-chimney cupboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/0055.JPG

The story behind this chimney cupboard is not my magnificent woodworking ability:no: but the wood used to build it. I built this piece about 5 years ago. I have a lot of catching up to do on posting pictures:eusa_danc.

There is a 3rd generation building supply business here. I learned about it several years after moving here. I heard they used to sell hardwood so I decided to stop by and see if I could get lucky. The owner told me they no longer sold hardwood but I was welcome to search the warehouse to see what I could find. Wish I had taken a picture of what I found but I did not even own a camera then. Just some examples of what I found, two 20/4 12"x8' pieces of cherry and about 10 16/4 8' pieces of mahogany.

But these pieces were not the real find. The pine used to make the chimney cupboard was the real find. There were 10 boards 24 feet long by 18 inches wide by 5/4 inches thick. It was all flat as flat can be.

The owner told me his grandfather told him it was cut in 1920 and moved from the old warehouse to the new warehouse in 1950. It had been sitting in the same spot since 1950 until I found it. He actually found the paper work on it.

I used some of the wood to make table tops. I made the bottoms of the tables out of poplar and painted them with milk paint. I still have a little left that I am waiting for the perfect project to use it.

Now for the gloat. What did I pay for this wood. The owner told me to figure out how many BF total I had found and he would take $1.50/bf.

Forgot to mention the piece is stained with General Finishes Honey Maple stain and General Finishes wipe on poly. Some of you may remember this piece from a Woodsmith article.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Keye, when you want to post a picture in your thread you need to go to the link at the very bottom of your picture and copy and paste that one. That one will put the picture in your post - Someone correct me if I am wrong but you have to open up your browser twice so that you can go back and forth if you are posting more then one picture - if you don't you will lose your post when you go back to get another picture - I hope this make since
Phillip

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very nice piece, I'm always impressed when someone can make a large piece of furniture looks elegant. And great score on the lumber!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Keye: That's a beautiful corner cupboard and a great story as well!

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

cpowell

Chuck
Senior User
Thanks for sharing the story and the beautiful piece. Two gloats in my opinion. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

(did you buy the cherry and mahogany?) :dontknow:

Chuck

nelsone

New User
Ed
Great story Keye!

Glad to see you can actually build something!:wink_smil

That's a very nice cabinet you put together with some pretty neat wood!

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
Thanks for sharing the story and the beautiful piece. Two gloats in my opinion. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

(did you buy the cherry and mahogany?) :dontknow:

Chuck

Does a bear .. well you know!:rotflm:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Nice work there, Keye!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

I really like the finish!!:eusa_clap

Wayne

sawduster

New User
Robert