2010 GAW Wood turning symposium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
What a full weekend. My hats off the the Georgia Association of Woodturners for an awesome weekend.

This event is held every September in the Unicoi National Forest near Helen, GA. Helen's a neat place to visit, and the area is beautiful.

I got to meet and listen to Nick Cook. Watched him turn a natural edge bowl.

Alan Lacer, showing how to use a skew and giving sharpening tips. Alan is a hoot, very fun to talk to, very friendly, ate breakfast with him one morning and had a great visit with him. He takes his sharpening very seriously and has some great stories to tell.

Steve Hatcher gave demonstrations on mineral inlays, and Half moon turnings. Learned a lot. I've been doing my inlays wrong and attending this was very informative. Took lots of notes.

Paul Fennel does some awesome work with hollow forms, simply amazing. I only attended one of his demos and didn't stay for the whole thing. He's very hard to listen to and hear. Very monotone. One thing I did learn is when he hollows out a form, he turns his lathe backwards so he doesn't have to reach across the lathe.

Susan went and saw Johannes Michelsen turn wood hats. She said it was very neat. I had another seminar I wanted to see, so during the silent auction the held I bid and won on his DVD. I will be watching that soon as I figure out where Susan packed it.

I went to a chainsaw safety lecture, very basic but enjoyed the instructor. He also knew a lot about trees and led a nature walk that Susan went on. (I was busy in other wood turning demos)

Vendors were awesome, it was hard not to go crazy. Some decent prices on stuff. I did purchase two bowl blanks from gotwood.com. Rainbow popular.

Dinner Saturday night was fun, great food. They held an auction after dinner that was a lot of fun. The auctioneer reminded me of Jerry Clower and was hilarious. I came away with a 17" diameter Norfolk Pine log for $50. Money goes to scholarships for woodturners, of which they gave away 6 this weekend to John C Campbell. ( I didn't win one. :wsad: )

This event was well worth attending, met a lot of great people, saw a lot of awesome turnings, got lots of hints (now if I can remember them). I do plan on going back next year.

Pictures I took are located in gallery. Sorry for the the quality of some, I'm a woodworker, not a photographer. :gar-Bi'

My wife wanted me to take some of my work to place in their gallery, I didn't think I had anything good enough on hand so didn't. After seeing what they had, I'm very glad I didn't. I will next year though. They pick a couple pieces out Friday night and a couple of the guest speakers critique them. Very interesting what they have to say.

PS One thing I did learn was Camphor came from trees. They had some logs at the auction, and at the chainsaw demo. Tried to win one but didn't. One guy asked me where I thought camphor came from, I just have never thought about it. But it's all over FL and most everyone loves the way it smells when turning though I met a couple of people who said it stank. But it was a beautiful wood.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks for posting, Rob. Glad you and Susan had a good time. I really like the mineral inlay pieces. Can't wait to see your next one. :icon_thum

Bill

Rob

New User
Rob
Wanted to bump this in case if got lost in the restore. Some awesome work in the gallery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS