2 days work - Tea house WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
2 short days due to my regular work schedule and physical therapy appts. and this is what I have accomplished so far. I made the eight rafter assemblies for the roof. As you will notice the design has changed a lot, to be much simpler. It took too long to sell the project to the client so we had to dumb it down to get it done. All there is left is the decking, post and beam structure, modified Shoji screeens with plexiglass instead of rice paper and the Cedar shingle roofing.

GGtableandteahouse011.jpg

GGtableandteahouse012.jpg

The cutting process for the glued up rafters left me with 32 pieces of scrap W. Red Cedar, any good ideas as to what to use them for??? I probably could get a good 5" wide x 20" long board out of them.

GGtableandteahouse013.jpg

Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Maybe you could soup up your new riding mower with some serious 50's-era fins! :lol: . Just apply a little Candy Apple Red and it'll go faster!

Rob

Seriously, great job so far on the teahouse structure!

erasmussen

New User
RAS
" modified Shoji screeens with plexiglass instead of rice paper"
Plexiglass Shogi?8-O next you'll be be telling us its got wood floors
instead of tatami.

Really its looks like you got a lot done, looking good:icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Yes it will have wood floors, but the final owner does plan to add woven mats on the floor. Please excuse my ignorance, but don't the tatami mats go over the top of something, some sort of sub-flooring at least????

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Real tatami mats are about 6" or so thick and sit in a frame work so they are easly replaced and thats the whole floor.
They are soft when you walk on them, hard to explan them really need to see them:lol::lol::lol::lol:
I have lived in 3 different houses with them.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow that is very cool. This is an "oriential-styled" thingy, so we are taking some liberties on it's construction...the client couldn't afford it to be done the right way. But I know who to ask if I need any authentic information.

BTW for a 4 1/2 mat Tea House how would the mats be arranged. According to my research they are 35.5" X 71" . I was planning the flooring to be 9' X 9'

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Great progress, DaveO.

Your scraps? I just finished building a bird feeder for my daughters school who are raising money through a "silent auction". The cedar I bought at Lowes was not cheap! Don't burn it. It works well for bird houses and feeder's, if you get the urge to build some with kids.

I still can't understand how you manage such great progress while your "on the mend"!

Wayne

erasmussen

New User
RAS
I am sure when you get finished it will look very much like it just came from japan:icon_thum
You do such excelent work:eusa_danc

FYI
Tatami basicly is 95.5 cm x 191cm but the size varys by area:lol:
Furo and Ro Season
There are two seasons in the Chanoyu and the layout of tatami of the cha****su (tea room) changes according to the seasons.
From November to April is the ro (sunken hearth) season when the hearth is set up in the cha****su. >From May to October, the ro is closed and the furo, brazier, season starts.
Following are displayed the ro (left) and furo (right) season tatami layouts and the respective tatami's names.
RoFuro.gif
RoFuro
- kinin tatami and kyaku tatami are where guests seat.
- dougu tatami is where the utensils are displayed.
- fumikomi tatami is the one to step into from the host's entrance or sadoguchi.
- ro tatami is where the ro is placed.
- kayoi tatami is the tatami between the fumikomi and kyaku tatami.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wayne, would you like some?? I have a feeling I'm gonna have it coming out my ears before this project is over. The supplier that I got the wood from wasn't able to provide the lengths that I specified (to yield minimum waste) so we had to buy much of the wood longer than we needed. I already have a scrap storage problem at my house as it is.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Hi Dave,
Great progress on the teahouse so far. I hope you're not overdoing it with the knee!!! How about using some of the scraps for outdoor tables, etc? Cedar lasts a long time.....
Take care,
Randy

sapwood

New User
Roger
Dave, either you are a fast mender or dumb patient :lol:

That's large stock you working up. Looking great :mrgreen:

Sapwood

Big Mike

New User
Mike
I think the rafters will make the roof shape very attractive. I have to ask, did you rough cut them with a band saw or something and then pattern rout the final shape? They look perfectly alike. I would have had to have a pattern and then rout to shape. Nice work, Dave!

No particular ideas for the scraps but I know they are too big and too good to chunk. One of my problems is keeping scraps but those are too big to throw away....:eusa_thin

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Big Mike, that is exactly what I did. I glued the 2 x 10s together after jointing the edges and with a template out of 1/2" MDF traced the outline and cut with a jig saw. Then trimmed flush with a pattern bit and the template. That's why it took 2 days, many many steps.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Big Mike said:
No particular ideas for the scraps but I know they are too big and too good to chunk. One of my problems is keeping scraps but those are too big to throw away....:eusa_thin

Well Bladeburner relived me of some of them but I still have more and am continuing to create them. So if anyone else wants some W. Cedar scrap let me know.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Earl you can have more than a piece, I'll fill your trunk, or truck bed if you want. Just let me know how it can be gotten to you.

erasmussen

New User
RAS
Wow thats great:-D

after tomorrow, I could make a trip to where your at anytime day or night.
whenever itwould be good for you.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
After tomorrow, I am at the house/shop on and off due to my appointment schedule working on this thing. I'll check my schedule Monday and let you know.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
DaveO said:
Well Bladeburner relived me of some of them but I still have more and am continuing to create them. So if anyone else wants some W. Cedar scrap let me know.

Dave

If you have any remaining (after those that have spoke for some) that is big enough for bird feeders/houses I could use some. Let me know. My sister lives in Garner. I could have her pick some up in her car then I could get it for her. She wants me to make her a bird house.:lol:

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS