Search results

1. BWhitney

2024 Picnic and Down sizing

Sorry for me but maybe good for you. I'm downsizing the amount of tools that I have accumulated to make more room in the shop. I have drastically cut back on the amount of 'play time' and now it is time to cut back on the amount of tools. This is what I know that I am going to bring for sure...
  2. BWhitney

Small Parts Storage

I am always looking for ways to store small parts and small tools. with that in mind, Lee Valley, which should be familiar to us all, carries a modular storage case and extra bins to fill it. It turns out that the case and bins are made in Germany by a company called "Allit". The Allit website...
  3. BWhitney

Rare-earth magnet fragility

This is a 1" Lee Valley rare-earth magnet. This is what happens with a moment of inattention and allowing one loose magnet to collide with another. Their insert says in part "All of our rare-earth magnets are strong and should be treated with respect. Their attractive forces can cause loose...
  4. BWhitney

Plywood & the BORG

I needed some 1/4 inch plywood so went to the BORG. I bought a 4 x 8 sheet of 1/4 inch sanded plywood ($26.02) and a 4 x 8 sheet of 5 mil underlayment ($13.98) I got them home and while putting them away decided I should have saved some dollars and just bout the underlayment. It was much nicer...
  5. BWhitney

Blokkz style clamping blocks

I had a piece of 1" by left over and a piece of 3/4" dowel so . . . Website for real Blokkz UCB's
  6. BWhitney

New Ladder

I've been looking for a new ladder and like this on (Model MTIAA-22) 22 ft. Reach 5-in-1 Telescoping Aluminum Multi-Position Ladder with 375 lbs. Load Capacity from Home Depot. My problem is that it is made in China. Does anyone here know of a similar ladder made in USA?
  7. BWhitney

Idle Time during Self Isolation

Boy did I screw up last night. During the television wasteland that is a Wednesday night primetime, I turned off the cable box and turned on the computer. Then I went to Youtube and searched for Japanese woodworking and came up with this: DO NOT follow the link unless you have at least 15...
  8. BWhitney

Russian Wood turning

I saw this on Youtube. From all you experienced turners, what is wrong with this video? Please comment and give me advise as to whether or not to even try this.
  9. BWhitney

Food for the picnic

SWMBO has volunteered to make a dozen and a half cupcakes for me to bring to the picnic. I haven't seen an official list of food being brought so thought I would start it here and now.
  10. BWhitney

Not my shop but one here in our area.

I just opened up the latest Wood News Online Magazine from Highland woodworking. An Apex woodworking shop is highlighted. Link to the article...
  11. BWhitney

Cabinet Works Auction - Raleigh

I don't know if anyone else has posted this. There might be some things of interest . . . https://www.estatesales.net/NC/Raleigh/27603/1915278
  12. BWhitney

Stanley #45 versus Stanley #55

I am in the market for one of these (no, I don't know why). I would like for someone who has experience with both of these to explain the difference between them and let me know what they prefer. I know that is pretty open but I don't even know the questions to ask.
  13. BWhitney

Tool Catalog Junkie

OK, I admit it. I’m a woodworking tool catalog junkie! I subscribe to the usual ones and a list of them is not necessary. But I want more! The upcoming issue of FWW has an article about German wood planes and alludes to the ECE Primus as being only one of several that are in use there...
  14. BWhitney

New Bandsaw - continuing saga

As most of you know from my earlier posts, I ordered a Rikon 10-326 from Highland Woodworking and posted pictures of the assembly. But the trunnion was binding and I coordinated with Rikon for a new trunnion on the 29th of June. On the 7th of July, last Friday, I called Rikon to get a...
  15. BWhitney

How smoothly does your bandsaw table tilt adjustment work?

I have a question for all of the 10-326/10-325 owners. How smoothly does your table tilt adjustment work? The trunnion on mine would not move. After discussions with Rikon (see post #2), I disassembled the trunnion and finally got it to move, but it is nowhere near being a smooth...
  16. BWhitney

New Bandsaw Part 2

As promised, a pic of the bandsaw installed atop the supplied base. That is a far as assembly proceeded. As you can see in the pics, the trunnion for the table is at an angle (35 degrees). I wanted it level to slide the table past the installed blade but the trunnion wouldn't move! I called...
  17. BWhitney

New Bandsaw

I ordered my Rikon 10-326 bandsaw last week from Highland Hardware and got it in Tuesday. Today I had help getting it out of the box so laid out the parts that needed to be installed. They look like pretty good quality. The table is huge, compared to my old one. It weighs 42 pounds by...
  18. BWhitney

I won. Part 2 update.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--> After I won the gift certificate at the picnic from Bell Forest I ordered a bundle of cherry. The cherry arrived via UPS on Friday from the upper peninsula of Michigan. The...
  19. BWhitney

I won!!!

I won the BellForest gift certificate at the picnic yesterday. I have never ordered wood online so I am a little skeptical but I now have some cherry on its way to my house. Pics will be posted in another post when it arrives and, maybe, after it gets here and I decide on a suitable project...
  20. BWhitney

Foam Backer Material

I found these at Walmart the other day when I was looking for backing material for shop built sanding blocks. So far it seems to work great and I thought I would pass it along. I've also found other uses. Might be worth looking at. Peel & Stick Foam Sheets, Basic Colors, 6pk$5.99 in crafts and...

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS