Search results

1. F

How to finish an "odd" table top

I was actually thinking of not making the top level, but idk yet. The bar-top coating is a good idea, but i'm not a fan of the plasticky look and would like to avoid it on this project. As far as adhering to other finishes, is shellac a good bet? I'm a novice in this department, i usually...
  2. F

How to finish an "odd" table top

I'm eventually going to start a fun coffee table project which uses old yardsticks as the table top. These yardsticks are mostly vintage; some have a finish on them already (who knows what...) while others were left natural. How would you recommend finishing something like this? I was...
  3. F

Completed table/thanks for the help!

I LOVE that tabletop...hope you're proud of it :eusa_clap
  4. F

My first year making Christmas gifts

I finally had the confidence/skill/shop space/time to build gifts for my family this year, so i stuck with the classics (sorry for the crappy cell phone pics): This was my first attempt at a cutting board and a small box, and i must say i was quite happy with the results.
  5. Keepsake Box

Keepsake Box

2011 Christmas gift: walnut with quilted maple top
  6. Bubinga picture frame

Bubinga picture frame

2011 Christmas gift
  7. Cutting board

Cutting board

2011 Christmas gift: walnut and cherry butcher block
  8. F

Looking for 3/4" Pipe

Rockler sells zinc-plated pipe for pipe clamp use, which i'd assume doesn't slip like galvanized...but I've never used it.
  9. F

Smart Phone Use

Board-foot calculator is a handy app as well, and free! :banana:
  10. F

Using 2 bench screws to make a vise

I guess I'm in need of more clarification here. None of the handwheels I've found are threaded, but i figured i could just pin the threaded rod to the handwheel to solve that. What about attaching the wheels to the chop? I haven't found a good way to do that. Could a machine shop carve a...
  11. F

That's what I was looking for thanks! I didn't realize those parts were so readily available... Why would anyone by one? :wink_smil
  12. F

I was hoping someone has done this before, but the thought was to use 2 ordinary bench screws (like these) to create my own twin screw vise. Thoughts, comments?? :banana:
  13. F

Bench top tools

When i built my rolling cabinet for my benchtop drill press, i made it so that the chuck was about chin-high. I found that to be ideal for comfort and visibility, and i try to avoid stooping/bending over as much as possible.
  14. F

wood for landscape edging?

Redwood if you can get it. I've seen composite decking used as well...
  15. F

Birds-Eye Maple?

I've heard this as well...:dontknow:
  16. F

Scraps for a cutting board

I was just going to order some off that new fangled world wide web, but i figured i could ask here. Would anyone have any walnut/maple (or similar) scraps they would be willing to part with for a modest price? I'm going for a 12x18 sized board :occasion1
  17. F

Has anyone ever actually found a mahogany pallet?

I'm curious...i know they exist but i don't think i have ever seen one. :icon_scra
  18. F

Small display table

Thanks for the positive comments guys. The design was my own, although i'm sure I've "borrowed" elements from other designs as i was figuring it out :banana:
  19. F

Small display table

Just a small display table i made. The top and stretchers are reclaimed Douglas Fir (identified thanks to this forum :icon_thum) with an oil finish; the legs are just poplar with a java gel stain. This was my first serious attempt at traditional joinery, and subsequently my first attempt at...
  20. Small display table2

Small display table2

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS