Has anyone ever actually found a mahogany pallet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wooduser

New User
Lecil
I have found mahogany shipping cretes. It has been YEARS since I have found them or even looked for them. Where I found them was at motor cycle shops that had there bikes shipped in from the Japan, etc. I doubt there are using them today. Much to valuable for the wood. They could probably have wood shipped in from this country and have the palletts made and shipped back here more economically.

Lecil Alexander

EricS

Eric
Senior User
Fred, we would get units of imported plywood in with some type of oily mahogany looking wood strapped to the units as blocking. a chinese fellow that works with me turned all the blocking he saved into a beautiful walkway and bridge. I have also gotten pallets made with cherry 4x4s and 4/4 boards (those came home with me):icon_cheers

aplpickr

New User
Bill
I have found black walnut, purpleheart, cherry, and mahogany pallets. This summer Tractor Supply was selling tomato stakes from the Phillipines that made wonderful P. Mahogany pen blanks. I have purchased sacks of stove kindling iin B. walnut from Lowes.:gar-Bi

AmishWarlord

New User
Mitch
My uncle works for a pipe company. Years ago they got in mahogany pallets. He took the broken ones home and made mahogany banana holders out of them. :)

KHageman

New User
Ken
A lot of exotic wood coming in from central and south america are packed or palletized with the same lumber that is being shipped. Just recently I saw a pallet of Kingwood that was basically wrapped sides and top with kingwood slats. The wood used was the lowest grade you could possible imagine.

Having exotics palletized with the same kind of lumber is a way of keeping insects that reside in certain types of wood from migrating to another. If everything is the same species the wood can be treated for fungus and insects and pretty much be assured that no surprises will appear later. I think this is a regulation in a lot of countries that export lumber.

Once and a while you will get some gems. I got the top and bottom boards of two boules of Anigre that were used as strapping protection. Nice figure. Got a lot of 2 X 2 and 1 X 1 blanks from this wood. Lots of waste, but at least no one burned the stuff for firewood.

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus...
I've found mahogany, osage, oak, walnut, hickory, and woods I never did identify - but the best was some beautiful rosewood - packing crates from which I got several boards about 1 1/16" (after planing) x 11" (after ripping away the edges) the longest of which is just over 6', the shortest just under 4'. They were all 10' but I had to get them into a Toyota Camry, Having a hammer but no saw, I pulled nails from the crates, then drove a row of nails across each board then broke them to fit into the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS