Bench top tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
It occurred to me this weekend that I might not have my bench top drill press at the right height. When I purchased the unit I set it right on a standard, for me, height bench (34 1/2") but while working with it yesterday I realized that the business end of the drill press, the table, is at chest height. I realize that this will vary for some but I am 6'2" and wondered if I have the DP set at the right height. My concern is all that spinny stuff (in this case a 2" fortsner bit) is pretty close to my eyes. Any thoughts?

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
Wear safety glasses/goggles? Personally my rule of thumb is I like to do almost all of my work without having to bend over constantly. So my preferred work surface height is between 36" - 40" depending on the height of the benchtop tool of course (I'm 6'1")

just build a stool to stand on..... my bench top press has been high like yours for years.. safety glass are the way to go for sure and for some reason I have always stood on a stool using it but I guess that is habit since I got it for christmas when I was 13.... I will not say how old that drill press is now... I just got 2 floor models in the last two month (I need to sell one) .... and the floor models are alot lower standing then we have had the bench top all these years

Fred85

New User
Josh
When i built my rolling cabinet for my benchtop drill press, i made it so that the chuck was about chin-high. I found that to be ideal for comfort and visibility, and i try to avoid stooping/bending over as much as possible.

Glennbear

Glenn
I too am 6' 2" and tend to have my benches and tools at a height that is higher than the "norm". I am more concerned about being able to see things clearly through my bifocals and excess strain on my back than I am with flying debris since I always use safety glasses/shields/goggles anyway. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS