How to finish an "odd" table top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred85

New User
Josh
I'm eventually going to start a fun coffee table project which uses old yardsticks as the table top. These yardsticks are mostly vintage; some have a finish on them already (who knows what...) while others were left natural. How would you recommend finishing something like this? I was thinking spray lacquer, but i'm not really set up for spray finishes. Obviously i need something that will adhere to various finishes.... :D

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
I would think one of the toughest things is to get all the yardsticks level for a flat table top. After all, you couldn't sand it flat because you would lose the print. Have you considered the pour-on bar top coating? It would give you a flat, level surface even if your yardsticks were different thicknesses. But, it it is more expensive than other finishes. I also believe it sticks to anything.

Fred85

New User
Josh
I was actually thinking of not making the top level, but idk yet. The bar-top coating is a good idea, but i'm not a fan of the plasticky look and would like to avoid it on this project. As far as adhering to other finishes, is shellac a good bet? I'm a novice in this department, i usually just use a danish oil or wipe-on poly and call it a day.

mark2

Mark
Corporate Member
How about a frame around the yardsticks with a glass overlay to avoid refinishing them all together?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Turn them upside down, sand the backs down to all the same level then turn them over and glue to the table top.

Finish with satin poly.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Zinnser SealCoat shellac (100% dewaxed, a 2 lb. cut in the can) is an excellent sealer over just about any previous finish.

Prep:

Clean the sticks a couple of times by wiping them down with MS to remove grease, oil, wax, etc.
Lightly sand to scuff without removing their character.
Glue up to the substrate. Prep the top.
Apply a couple of coats of shellac diluted to about 1 lb.
Topcoat with...?

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you take what mike and jeff has said you will have real winner on your hands.
Regards, Richard

WadeP

New User
Wade
I would think the uneveness without a full cover (bar top / glass / ??) would lead to the various edges getting beat up pretty quick. No recommendation for your question but durability would be something I would worry about.

BTW.. cool idea!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors