Using 2 bench screws to make a vise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred85

New User
Josh
I was hoping someone has done this before, but the thought was to use 2 ordinary bench screws (like these) to create my own twin screw vise.

Thoughts, comments?? :banana:

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm pretty sure that you'll need 2 handwheels, 2 small bicycle sprockets and a bicycle chain. Weld the sprockets to the handweels and mount them on the chop. You can get Acme thread and Acme Hex nuts and really DIY it.
http://www.wttool.com/index/page/category/category_id/15941/
http://www.wttool.com/index/page/category/category_id/15942/

Here is a way: http://benchcrafted.com/MoxonVise.html
vise_detail.jpg

holding_detail.jpg

The last drawing in this pdf is very clear.
http://benchcrafted.com/PDF%20Files/Benchcrafted%20Moxon%20Vise.pdf
Get the handwheels at Grizzly.

Fred85

New User
Josh
That's what I was looking for thanks! I didn't realize those parts were so readily available... Why would anyone by one? :wink_smil

Fred85

New User
Josh
I guess I'm in need of more clarification here. None of the handwheels I've found are threaded, but i figured i could just pin the threaded rod to the handwheel to solve that. What about attaching the wheels to the chop? I haven't found a good way to do that. Could a machine shop carve a groove in the threaded rod for a garter?

Mike Mendelsohn

New User
Mike
Here are pictures of a 2 dovetailing vises I built as prototypes. They are based on the Moxon vise with some additions.

The larger vise is for deep drawers and small carcass dovetailing. The smaller vise is for drawers up to about 5 1/2".

I use the front chop to hold the boards while sawing and while doing the final paring to fit. The top chop is handy for holding the boards while working with mallet and chisels remove the waste after sawing.

I use the two chops together to hold the tail board over the pin board while transferring the tail outlines (I cut tails first). The guides on the top and face of the small vise help align the bottom edge of the boards and keep them square.

I constructed the vises out of 2x4 scraps, 5/16" threaded rod, knobs and cam levers (rockler). The springs under the chops keep the vise expanded when open.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I guess I'm in need of more clarification here. None of the handwheels I've found are threaded, but i figured i could just pin the threaded rod to the handwheel to solve that. What about attaching the wheels to the chop? I haven't found a good way to do that. Could a machine shop carve a groove in the threaded rod for a garter?

You'll need to have one end of each Acme Threaded rod turned down to match the hole in the Handwheel. Then have a hole drilled for a pin to attach the rod to the handwheel. I had this done for the screw for a Glide Leg vise knockoff that is a PHD (Project Half Done) in my shop.

Semmons23

New User
Steve
I did this on my bench and made probably 20 minutes of video showing the process - please note that they are independant screws.

However, after having had it for a little while its not the best setup. I had to put a lot of taper in the front chop due to the play in the screws. It works great and clamps enought to hold all my weight pushing on a board but its not that easy to use and if you are clamping a thin board you have to pull on the front chop because its self closing toward the bench due to the taper and the play in the screws - which I got from Veritas. I also don't like the independant screws - its just a pain and takes 3 hands.

Certainly works and much cheaper than the twin screw kit from Veritas but its not great. I have the new single handle twin "screw" from Hovarter (www.hovartercustomvise.com) on route and will be replacing my twin screw setup. I will be creating an install and review video once its complete in a couple weeks. I post an update when its done.

You can checkout my videos at www.TheDustyDeveloper.com or on YouTube

Steve

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Steve,
The Hovarter system is way cool! He has put a lot of work into that. Being able to only turn one screw is great.

Steel Acme Hex nuts are more precision fit than the Cast Iron parts on a vise. I wonder if shimming the Cast Iron threads with some thin brass shim material would make it less sloppy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS