Search results

1. C

Are any of the triangle area mobile sawyers able to saw very long lengths (18' or up to 26'+)

A homemade glulam made from ungraded lumber would cause and has caused an AHJ to pause. I am, however, a licensed architect in NC with a pretty solid structural background, and would have no problem supplying the assumptions, math, and a seal to verify it exceeds the requirements placed on it.
  2. C

Are any of the triangle area mobile sawyers able to saw very long lengths (18' or up to 26'+)

I have a number of large pine trees that I am looking at getting taken down in the next few months. I also am potentially putting an addition on my house in about a year that will need some large beams, mostly around 18' but the largest is around 26' with a center support. I'm wondering if I...
  3. C

1782 Stockburger Farmhouse Renovation

If you're not aware of the ins & outs of historical listings and SHPO/NPS tax credit work, feel free to PM me. It's a hassle but those tax credits are worth it.
  4. C

CNC Router and Dust collector for sale

Can the CNC use 1/2" shank bits or is that spindle limited to 1/4?
  5. C

Scraping a Textured Ceiling

I found the tool advertised for scraping popcorn to be just about useless. The metal is too thin and it flexes too much to put the force in the right place. I just zip-tied a 12" drywall knife to an 8' painters pole and kept the angle low, which worked pretty well. But if I had to do it again in...
  6. C

Can a sliding table saw...

It's not exactly a track saw, but it will run on the bosch/mafell tracks and will mostly work like one, with the change in that some optionally one handed track saw operations will need two hands. For some things (breaking down sheetgoods), it'd be fine as a replacement, but for others, like...
  7. C

Can a sliding table saw...

Track saw crosscut setups always struck me as odd - just really, really fussy. I just sold my miter saw a bought a mafell Kss40. Does everything I needed the miter saw for, with better accuracy, dust collection, and finish, and fits in a drawer. festool has their HKS setups that work similarly.
  8. C

cutting board finish

if you don't add a solvent to pure tung oil it's pretty low odor. AFAIK it's only a very mild irritant and not toxic at all.
  9. C

Murphy Bed Construction

I would highly, highly dispute that Whitewood is in any way high quality. The one time I tried it it was very weak, full of voids, and delaminated easily. In most applications I'd prefer MDF. For this kind of thing I usually buy the best applicable coupon I can find on ebay and get the purebond...
  10. C

Thin plywood sources

National balsa has always been my goto. https://www.nationalbalsa.com/Plywood_s/44.htm
  11. C

Plywood Suppliers selling to public

As much as I hate to tout the BORG, for small orders, Home Depot has a connection with Columbia Forest Products and the pro desk can order by the sheet for just about whatever you want. Specify the core and veneer and they can get it, the caveat is that it usually takes a few weeks to come in...
  12. C

Shop lighting, rampant fraud

Don't know if these would work for you but I have a box of WAC pro 3 4500k tape I was sent by mistake (ordered 3000k) a couple years ago. 5w and 475lm/ft, I have 40'. WAC is pretty high end stuff so I'd hope its legit -retail on the box is $1600. haven't had any luck finding a use for them so...
  13. C

New 3M sander ENDED

I think 3m is marking up a whitelable product. https://www.amazon.com/MAXXT-Brushless-Multi-function-Woodworking-Polishing/dp/B09MMVFZC1/ virtually identical specs, switch and cord are slightly different.
  14. C

IPE - wood movement

I guess this would be a good place to note the surprisingly little known fact that wood of all sorts doesn't move much along the length of the grain, and that most movement is perpendicular. (longitudinal vs axial) This fact comes into play in the typical construction of may things. Balloon...
  15. C

Aromatic cedar sources?

Prices I'm seeing from the usual retailers are high, of course...so...Anybody got a solid triangle-adjacent cedar source? I need about 350-400BF of 4/4 for a closet I'm doing. 9' lengths ideal, but not necessary. I also have a ton of mill run walnut (5/4 skip planed to just over 1"),12'-16'...
  16. C

Oak handrails (1 new/1 used, FREE)

Any idea if red oak or white oak?
  17. C

Knotty White Oak for sale

I'd be interested in this or other messy white oak as I have a garden structure to build, but I can't seem to find the PM button in the new layout. is it just the 4 or do you have more?
  18. C

Mating PVC to Dust Collector Inlet

But if you're setting it on end in a pan that's still on the burner, it might get into a dangerous range where it's in contact with the bottom of the pan. Depending on the volume of water and intensity of the heat source. And I'm frankly not sure at what temperature it starts throwing off...
  19. C

Mating PVC to Dust Collector Inlet

Just a reminder that heating PVC can throw off some nasty chemicals if it gets too hot or starts to burn. If it were me I'd probably look into using polypropylene or ABS for a short connection.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS