Can a sliding table saw...

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Hello all,

I'm in a pickle...and I'd really like your input.

My hobbyist shop is a 1 vehicle garage, out of my 3 vehicle garage, and I'm looking to make a change. A change with my layout and tools. No, I'm not expanding, that would be nice, but not happening anytime soon.

I currently have a 12" DeWalt slider (dws779) that's just sitting in the corner of my garage, collecting dust not sawdust. 🫤 I haven't really found a permanent spot for it, mainly since it's too dang big, and I'm not sure I want a dedicated spot for it, too. No dust collection is great for it, at least, not from my personal use or whatever I can research for, online.

My question is... Can a sliding table replace my sliding miter saw?

I don't break down sheets of plywood. If I did, I'd use my track saw., I'm a 1-person garage shop, I don't do crazy angles or crown molding (maybe 1 day?). I'd like to be able to crosscut larger pieces with accuracy, and I just don't feel it's possible with a miter saw station, since it would be limited to 12-14" (?). I have my track saw, and TSO parallel guide, but it doesn't give me repeatability, or 99.999% precision. I just did a small project, this week (3, shop drawers), and spent 30+ minutes with a cut. 1st one, with my track saw and TSO were not 90 degrees. 2nd cut was still not 90, but sort of close. 3rd, 4th.. I finally said " eff it" and left the cut around 89 degrees. Maybe 89.5. Still, being anal, I wasn't happy with myself. It's not that I don't know how to use my track saw and TSO, I've hit 90 degrees numerous times, but it's not 90 consistently...

Sure, I could spend a few hundred bucks and buy a nice track saw parallel guide system, but I feel that is cumbersome and I'm not sure about that as an option.

I currently have a 3hp SawStop PCS and I was looking at the SS sliding table, or the Harvey (which seems almost identical). The Harvey looks almost identical, with the exception of the miter positioner, as well as the micro adjust. Other than that, I believe 100% identical. Plus, the Harvey is a few hundred cheaper.

Any ideas on if a sliding table can replace my sliding, dual bevel, miter saw? Should I even think of replacing my miter saw? It just sits, and I think it will continue to sit, for a really long time. Let's just say, it's way on the back burner of my shop projects.

Would it be a good idea, or investment in my hobby (maybe it'll turn into a nice side hustle?) to look into a sliding table? Or, would it take up too much real estate and not be practical? Should I save that $1,200 and put it towards a band saw, 3hp planer, or floor standing drill press?

Here is the current state of my garage.. unfortunately, there is currently a smoker in it, which I intend to get out of there, later. I'm currently putting faces on my 3 shop drawers, then going to start on my outfeed table, then start on my router table build. So... As you can see, I'm in the process of cleaning up my garage, so no mean comments 🤪

And for reference... My miter saw table\cart is taking up 32" x 36"
My side of the garage is 19' 12-1/2'

Any questions, comments, etc., are always welcomed.

Thanks!

Rory

Attachments

• PXL_20230219_030550420.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20230219_030550420.MP~2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 157
  • PXL_20230219_030613332.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20230219_030613332.MP~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 164
  • PXL_20230219_030619452.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20230219_030619452.MP~2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 161
  • PXL_20230219_030632694.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20230219_030632694.MP~2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 161

Echd

C
User
Looks like you have the makita track saw. I love mine. If your miter saw sees only rare use, why not buy some shorter lengths of track, or cut the track, and use it for miters? Making jigs or workholding fixtures for that purpose would be fairly simple and I would think considerably more accurate than your miter saw anyway.

I fairly seldom use my miter saw since getting my track saw, but the second you sell it you'll need to cut a bunch of long 4x4s or something.

I just always viewed my track saw as a very small and portable sliding table saw in terms of what I can do with it anyway.

Using crosscut jigs and such for long stock on a tablesaw can often be a bit... cumbersome. Especially if you just need to sneak up on a good fit or something. I wouldn't want to be rid of my miter saw for those cases alone.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I have a similar-sized space and I've had similar thoughts about my CMS. I've contemplated getting rid of it and building a nicer TS sled to do some of its tasks. I also built a TS outfeed-table/MFT/workbench/assembly table that can also make 45, 60, and 90 degree cuts.

I also saw a YT video where a guy decided to downsize to a 10" non-slider that fits onto a 20"-wide bench against the wall.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I have been without a miter saw now for 11 years. I haven't missed it one bit! I make do with all the other tools one way or another. Sure it's a "nice to have", but if you have room AND if you can put up with the dust it makes! I wasn't willing to put up with the dust and I've been able to find other ways to cut miters. If it's been collecting dust, then I'd sell it. But also... do you have a need right not for the slider for your TS? I also have a SawStop PCS and have considered the $1200 for the slider. But it's a LOT of real estate and it's permanent! For you I'd recommend finding another way. You have a much smaller shop then I do and I've not needed the slider. I'm in Chapel Hill. If you'd like to come out and see my layout and how I do things, you're welcome to do that. BTW, my shop is a dedicated space with HVAC, 24 x 36.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User

I have been without a miter saw now for 11 years. I haven't missed it one bit! I make do with all the other tools one way or another. Sure it's a "nice to have", but if you have room AND if you can put up with the dust it makes! I wasn't willing to put up with the dust and I've been able to find other ways to cut miters. If it's been collecting dust, then I'd sell it. But also... do you have a need right not for the slider for your TS? I also have a SawStop PCS and have considered the $1200 for the slider. But it's a LOT of real estate and it's permanent! For you I'd recommend finding another way. You have a much smaller shop then I do and I've not needed the slider. I'm in Chapel Hill. If you'd like to come out and see my layout and how I do things, you're welcome to do that. BTW, my shop is a dedicated space with HVAC, 24 x 36.
Exactly! Dust! Build a box around the miter saw and that's even more space and it's still dusty. I'll probably list my miter saw and planer, since they are just sitting and taking up good shop space.

The last project I used the miter saw for was for an accent wall and that was around Dec 2021. I rolled the cart outside, and since the cart doesn't have any extension tables/wings, it made for a "fun time." I had a lot of boards that were about 8' long, but only 4"-5" wide.

If those cuts had to have been precise, and repeated, I'm not sure how I could have done that, except maybe with my track saw and then I might need a parallel guide to go with it? Thankfully, these pieces were going on the wall, so I used a small line of caulk.

With regards to needing a slider now, or not this very moment... In short, no. I don't need one at the moment, but as we all know, "it would be nice to have." I'm planning on starting/finishing my outfeed table (top will be 32" x 60"), but I could use the track saw to cut the top. It doesn't need to be 100% square, but as long as it's "about" square. I'll also be making drawers for it, adding t-track, but no dog holes, etc.. Those drawers sides, fronts and backs shouldn't require any deep crosscuts, but the drawers bottoms definitely will. Not sure how I'd get all of the drawer bottoms square, since those pieces will require squareness and will be over 24" x 16". Maybe my track saw and TSO square? Any other ideas? I don't have a TS sled, only a miter gauge (Harvey Compass miter gauge), and anything over 10" - 11" in front of the TS blade gets a little squirly.

I'm not dead set on 1 way or another, but maybe just a "better way," so I can do repeatable and precise miters and larger crosscuts in a way that doesn't require my sliding miter saw.

*Confused*

Thanks

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Looks like you have the makita track saw. I love mine. If your miter saw sees only rare use, why not buy some shorter lengths of track, or cut the track, and use it for miters? Making jigs or workholding fixtures for that purpose would be fairly simple and I would think considerably more accurate than your miter saw anyway.

I fairly seldom use my miter saw since getting my track saw, but the second you sell it you'll need to cut a bunch of long 4x4s or something.

I just always viewed my track saw as a very small and portable sliding table saw in terms of what I can do with it anyway.

Using crosscut jigs and such for long stock on a tablesaw can often be a bit... cumbersome. Especially if you just need to sneak up on a good fit or something. I wouldn't want to be rid of my miter saw for those cases alone.
I really like my Makita track saw. I know I'm not using it to its fullest, but regardless... it's still very enjoyable to use. Also, I have all 3 lengths of the Makita track. Not sure if my pictures properly showed that. Not sure which lengths you have, but the 118" (?) length is a beast to maneuver.

I don't plan on cutting 4x4's, but I know what you mean. For the 1-2 times I've recently used my MS (since Dec. 21'), the real estate it is taking up, is a lot. Not to mention, it's just sitting there. I could fill that space with a tool I'd use a lot more often, and not to mention, enjoy using.

I do have a Harvey miter gauge, and that has a micro adjust which is great for sneaking up on cuts, but it's only good for up to 36" long pieces and 10"-11" deep. Not sure how one could sneak up on a cut with a track saw, unless you attach a parallel guide system to it?

*Thinking* 🫤

Thank you...

Rory

Echd

C
User
I really like my Makita track saw. I know I'm not using it to its fullest, but regardless... it's still very enjoyable to use. Also, I have all 3 lengths of the Makita track. Not sure if my pictures properly showed that. Not sure which lengths you have, but the 118" (?) length is a beast to maneuver.

I don't plan on cutting 4x4's, but I know what you mean. For the 1-2 times I've recently used my MS (since Dec. 21'), the real estate it is taking up, is a lot. Not to mention, it's just sitting there. I could fill that space with a tool I'd use a lot more often, and not to mention, enjoy using.

I do have a Harvey miter gauge, and that has a micro adjust which is great for sneaking up on cuts, but it's only good for up to 36" long pieces and 10"-11" deep. Not sure how one could sneak up on a cut with a track saw, unless you attach a parallel guide system to it?

*Thinking* 🫤

Thank you...

Rory

I was thinking more along the lines of buying a length of track and chopping it to a very tiny length.

I have some of the powertec tracks off Amazon, they're dirt cheap. Cut one into a 12 inch section and it would allow for cross cutting and mitering even in very small spaces. That said I use my crosscut sled as much as possible but like you point out, it can get squirrelly.

A parallel guide would be nice but they make adjustable angle guides as well. A combination of those and the clamps could get you there...

Ultimately there are situations that may arise where a miter saw would be ideal, and whatever you keep will have to make some concessions to do it. But I think your track saw does offer the best alternative for the lowest price if you really do wish to do a away with the miter saw. Those sliding table things are really big.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
My shop garage is 14x24. I have a 12 inch non-slider for crosscuts up to about 8 inches. I also have a 10 inch non-slider that I use when away from my shop. The latter has cut virtually all the molding in my home. A non-slider is easier to be accurate with but, of course, the cross cut capacity is limited. But sufficient for most of the drawers I've made. My CMS is on top of a long bench along the one long wall without windows with hardwood storage above it. I have sliding stops on a fence for the CMS. I would not want to be without it. Sometimes I dream about a nice slider but I don't think I have the space and I don't want to struggle with accuracy.

For wider crosscuts I mainly use my track saw, a DeWalt. My normal method if I only have a few cuts to make is just to use a large square to mark a cut line and then put the track on the line. I have no problem getting 90 degree angles doing this. My outfeed table is also my assembly table and my track saw cutting station. I have a Ron Paulk style crosscut jig for this table which I use sometimes if I have a bunch of larger crosscuts to use. It is quite accurate and once it's set up it is quick to use. It has a stop block along the fence to make multiples of the same dimension easy. My table is 3 feet by 6 feet. I store tools below, the top is double layer, ala Ron Paulk. I have a leg vise at the end away from the table saw. This table is more important to my work than my crosscut station but I would not want to be without either. I also have a PCS.

I occasionally use a sliding table saw at church where I volunteer. It is an older model and a bit of a challenge to get set up. But once it's set it makes accurate crosscuts. Another volunteer uses a sled with it instead of the sliding table. I have always had issues with using a table saw for crosscuts of long pieces. Especially if they are also somewhat heavy. To me it is just easier to use the track saw. The two inch cut capacity is rarely an issue.

JNCarr

Joe
Corporate Member
Looks like you have a steel frame outfeed table (?) on casters. Depending on your intent for that, you could put your miter saw under it on a kitchen mixer lift per attached.
Drops under the table when not in use.
Mine's not a slider so may have been easier than yours would be.

Attachments

• Saw with shroud.jpg
    Saw with shroud.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 105
  • Underside dust box.jpg
    Underside dust box.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 90

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
If the sliding miter saw is already causing space concerns, I think a sliding table saw would be even worse. They take up a lot of real estate (to t

Looks like you have a steel frame outfeed table (?) on casters. Depending on your intent for that, you could put your miter saw under it on a kitchen mixer lift per attached.
Drops under the table when not in use.
Mine's not a slider so may have been easier than yours would be.

Yes. I need to throw a top on it and make drawers.
I was just looking to use it for an outfeed & assembly table. That idea of yours, for the miter saw, is pretty cool though.

I'm really thinking of just getting rid of my sliding miter saw and seeing if I can, somehow, use the outfeed\assembly table in its place. Sort of like an MFT\track saw table.

I found a video, on how much space the Harvey\SawStop sliding table takes up. It isn't too bad, but I still need to sleep on things.

Harvey Sliding Table

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
@ConwayCustoms I am not familiar with that product but want to comment on your tracksaw issues. First, re: miter saw, they are not accurate enough for precise work. I use a table saw sled for final cuts. I finally had enough with the inaccura y of my Bosch slider and since it was a rough cut saw I replaced it with a Rockwell turret type radial arm and absolutely love it. It:smpermanently set at 90° and is far more accurate than the Bosch axial. But either one takes up space and is an issue for a small shop.

I have a Festool tracksaw set up. Haven‘t got the TSO parallel guides yet but they should be very accurate. I have a Festool miter attachment and I agree it isn’t 100% reliable. I think an MFT crosscult set up would be more accurate.

Cbozz

Chris
User
Track saw crosscut setups always struck me as odd - just really, really fussy. I just sold my miter saw a bought a mafell Kss40. Does everything I needed the miter saw for, with better accuracy, dust collection, and finish, and fits in a drawer. festool has their HKS setups that work similarly.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
Track saw crosscut setups always struck me as odd - just really, really fussy. I just sold my miter saw a bought a mafell Kss40. Does everything I needed the miter saw for, with better accuracy, dust collection, and finish, and fits in a drawer. festool has their HKS setups that work similarly.
Just watched a few short videos. Pretty sweet!

I'd definitely have to sell my sliding miter saw, to recoup some money, if I bought that Mafell. I'll have to do more research on that Mafell.

Is that a track saw, like my Makita, or, is this similar but different? I already have the 39", 55", and 118" Makita tracks, so I'm pretty deep into it, but if this could replace them...

A little pricey, but similar to the price of the sliding table, but if it can make precision cuts, it might be a worthy contender. Just not sure how I'd be able to do do repeatable cuts, too.

Thanks for mentioning a Mafell.

Cbozz

Chris
User
It's not exactly a track saw, but it will run on the bosch/mafell tracks and will mostly work like one, with the change in that some optionally one handed track saw operations will need two hands. For some things (breaking down sheetgoods), it'd be fine as a replacement, but for others, like inside corner cuts or others that need easy and exact stop/start positioning, a real track saw will be better. I also sold my makita track saw and rails, but I bought the mafell track saw at the same time so they can share tracks and batteries.

The mafell stuff is very, very accurate and very well made. Repeat cuts do take a little more planning if you want to do a run of same size parts. Generally I just use the first cut piece as a marking guide, but it wouldn't be hard to make a jig with a sliding stop to rest the crosscut track against - similar to a fancy framer's cut station.

Billm0066

New User
Bill
I have a kapex and the dust collection is pretty good, and not just for a miter saw. With a vacuum hooked up it captures probably 80-90%.

I have the same issue with my miter saw. I use it a lot but im in a 12x20 and with my current setup it's not in a great spot. I was thinking of making a fold up table or a mobile table. of some sort. The mafell looks really nice (I have the festool track saw) but I like my miter saw for small cuts and I dont see how you can do that with a mafell. A table saw I think is better suited to replace a miter saw, but with my shop size cutting something long in a crosscut sled would suck. The miter saw is just so fast to cut certain things.

Warped Woodwerks

Senior User
I looked into the Kapex , too, as well as Makita's new 8-1/2" sliding 40v miter (does 12+ cross cuts). Both look real nice, but again, max cross cuts are 12.x" (?). Either would need less space, over my DeWalt slider, but still.. larger crosscuts (repeatable and accurate ones) would be limited.

My Harvey miter gauge gives me a max of 10" crosscuts, but after that it slips off of the table and isn't reliable. A sled might give me slightly more crosscutting capabilities, maybe between 18" -24" (?), But I'm not sure.

I don't do a ton of larger (length & width) crosscuts, yet, but I do have a router table build that's coming up and that would need larger and wider crosscuts.

*Hmm* 🫤

Attachments

• PXL_20230221_145512846.MP~2.jpg
    PXL_20230221_145512846.MP~2.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 41

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
I do most of my crosscuts with a table saw sled. I built it 26" deep so I can cross cut 24" pieces of ply for cabinet sides. Works great and I only use the miter saw for rough stuff now.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS